The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jmvdigital

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

A couple of images from a day spent at Cranworx Colorado for the slopestyle event. All shot with P30+ and Mamiya 150D. Again, who says you can't shoot action with medium format? :D

If you're into this sorta thing, I have a lot more images from that day on my blog: http://www.dailies.jmvdigital.com/2009/08/03/crankworx/

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Look great Justin and I will never say you can't shoot action with MF , do it all the time myself.:D

jlm

Workshop Member

nice shot Graham; those rings are begging for crispness though. a job for Helicon focus. I've never tried it with a portrait

Don Libby

I normally don't like to include people in my landscapes however I like this. WRS-1000, P45+ sorry I forgot the lens...

Don

J

Jbee

I thought I should share this with you.
On a sunny friday morning this January I was invited to shoot a c-section. Luckily I had a P1 645, P30+ and 2,8/45 to try it out. Unfortunatly in all that hurry and excitement with the new camera I overexposed the pictures a bit.
Still this was a great day and a great experience.
Jari

BTW Its a healthy boy (not mine) named Mio.

B

BlueLemon

Hey Guys and Grrrrlzzz

I went through most of this thread - glimpsing through the pictures... not reading a single bit...almost.

While watching, I have had a new favourite photographer, one I really admire and some I believe would be better of with a Leica-format Yashica.

Well this is my first forum entrance -and I just found this gorgeous site by accident, and already have learned a lot.

Making it short : me, analogue first, digital last - however i just bought the H3d2-39 with a HCD28 and HC80. But before working with those and showing off most of "who cares pictures", I will just let you know that I am in favour of analogue still.

I noticed that Guy wrote about a lens that it was tack-sharp wide open, and bokeh / unsharpness started at the ear (a portrait model photographed at page 50 something )

Well .... True

But working analogue, I encourage you guys and grrrrlzzzz - remember Jamin, Darlot ...before Tessar lenses ruined it all

Back in the days of Julia Margaret Cameron - lenses had different performance and feel .... and I would like you to go back for a while.... Glooge her up...

Photography is about seeing and observing - an in many cases Deception, well capture is the least bit as you might already know whether analogue or digital....but working with the old techniques still, while having one of the best MF digital and DSLR´s around - I keep coming back to analogue.... what about you guys and Grr.....?

I know I really could not live without digital - and will of course get rid of my Canon-**** just when I get settled with the H3 - but analogue is still a true performer for me.

When that H3-thing happends I will work both H3, Bromoil, Cyanotype, Linhof, Diana F, Sinar, Jamin, Darlot, Kodak Portrait lens and Heliars

Well this pretty much sums up my views on photography - I have both options still, whether it be H3 or Polaroid Type 55

Just my thoughts - after watching a great gallery...Your Gallery :toocool:

Claus Stensgaard
Bluelemon

Last edited:

Professional

Hey Guys and Grrrrlzzz

I went through most of this thread - glimpsing through the pictures... not reading a single bit...almost.

While watching, I have had a new favourite photographer, one I really admire and some I believe would be better of with a Leica-format Yashica.

Well this is my first forum entrance -and I just found this gorgeous site by accident, and already have learned a lot.

Making it short : me, analogue first, digital last - however i just bought the H3d2-39 with a HCD28 and HC80. But before working with those and showing off most of "who cares pictures", I will just let you know that I am in favour of analogue still.

I noticed that Guy wrote about a lens that it was tack-sharp wide open, and bokeh / unsharpness started at the ear (a portrait model photographed at page 50 something )

Well .... True

But working analogue, I encourage you guys and grrrrlzzzz - remember Jamin, Darlot ...before Tessar lenses ruined it all

Back in the days of Julia Margaret Cameron - lenses had different performance and feel .... and I would like you to go back for a while.... Glooge her up...

Photography is about seeing and observing - an in many cases Deception, well capture is the least bit as you might already know whether analogue or digital....but working with the old techniques still, while having one of the best MF digital and DSLR´s around - I keep coming back to analogue.... what about you guys and Grr.....?

I know I really could not live without digital - and will of course get rid of my Canon-**** just when I get settled with the H3 - but analogue is still a true performer for me.

When that H3-thing happends I will work both H3, Bromoil, Cyanotype, Linhof, Diana F, Sinar, Jamin, Darlot, Kodak Portrait lens and Heliars

Well this pretty much sums up my views on photography - I have both options still, whether it be H3 or Polaroid Type 55

Just my thoughts - after watching a great gallery...Your Gallery :toocool:

Claus Stensgaard
Bluelemon
Welcome to the forum, Claus!

I know where did you come from ;)

It is nice to hear your story, in fact i never used film or analogue before, and i am new to photography as well, and i use all digital 100%, but nowadays i have a feeling that i would like to go back to analogue way, but many who are using analogue are going digital way, just few or some still with analogue but even those are using digital these days beside analogue, so i am not sure if i will do the right thing if i go back to analogue world, even i am struggling to find some kind of analogue MF new completely and not used or new-like, but many offer me used in excellent condition but i still want completely new not used at all film MF, and because it is rarely to find one new i feel why i go to analogue if the bodies or analogue cameras are going to be discontinued, it is like even those brands and companies gave up with analogue.

On another hand, i was also thinking to get a "New" large format instead of MF, i have one digital MF so why get another MF, i should get different format, so with large format i will have variety camera systems or formats, but even the choice is difficult and confused and also very difficult to find New body and not used even once.

Regards,
Tareq

B

BlueLemon

Hi Taraq
Well - I come from Denmark - but never mind that.... I could be from anywhere in this world

I totally agree with you - and then......

Being digital is one thing.... and you perform as you are spoken for..... customers rapid demands and the urge to perform well...

I am totally lucky, because I work with young photographers, teaching them ol´ techniques and new ones too

Myself - hmmm - well comparing with those who thinks that going MF digital is expensive, should think again....

going MF digital, LF digital and being analogue still - that is EXPPPPPPENSIVE :)

My most beloved lens is not a digital one - but a Jamin-Darlot /4.5 from 1854 and a Heliar 360/4.0 from 1911

Well that just me, these awesome lenses and techniques...... which I treasure. sTill

Professional

Hi Taraq
Well - I come from Denmark - but never mind that.... I could be from anywhere in this world

I totally agree with you - and then......

Being digital is one thing.... and you perform as you are spoken for..... customers rapid demands and the urge to perform well...

I am totally lucky, because I work with young photographers, teaching them ol´ techniques and new ones too

Myself - hmmm - well comparing with those who thinks that going MF digital is expensive, should think again....

going MF digital, LF digital and being analogue still - that is EXPPPPPPENSIVE :)

My most beloved lens is not a digital one - but a Jamin-Darlot /4.5 from 1854 and a Heliar 360/4.0 from 1911

Well that just me, these awesome lenses and techniques...... which I treasure. sTill
I was meaning i know which forum you are coming from, but maybe you will say you are on many forums as well, anyway, welcome again :)

In fact the expense in digital MF is coming from the digital back, i can get many non digital bodies cheap, but digital back alone itself is way too expensive, that is why i feel i can get analogue MF or LF without digital in reasonable prices, and you lucky that you were using analogue.

To be honest, i was looking to get analogue only for myself, not for clients or agencies or so, only for fun, but it will be expensive if i will use films and labs, and also it will take time if i have to scan all my film photos, so that i was not sure if i should only use digital or it is no harm to add analogue these days.

When i look on film/analogue shots i feel it is different than digital, even those film users saying they prefer film look over digital look, this alone making me to want to go to film world, and i am thinking of minimum MF, and not 35mm analogue.

D

ddk

Welcome Claus, film or digital are both ok when the image is right... Love the 2nd shot, nude behind the screen! :thumbup:

Stuart Richardson

Hi Claus,
I feel much the same as you. You are welcome to join us at the analog section of the forum as well...it is pretty lonely over there sometimes. I find myself preferring the analog look, but also the process much better than digital. The cameras and lenses tend to intrude less in the image making process. But there are clearly some things that digital does better, more easily, more securely and faster...like empty your wallet. Or fill it, if you are working on a deadline...

David K

Workshop Member

Claus, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your images. I especially like the portrait of the older gentleman. Nice to see some different looks here.

Status
Not open for further replies.