The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Thanks folks,
The lighting is ultra simple.
One light with a small reflector and barn doors set slightly above and to the left raking the subject at a low angle.
The studio had a black seamless backdrop and the model was on an air-bed that had a dark gray color. Spill on the air-bed was photoshopped to black.
The shot is almost directly into the light and flare was eliminated with a flag.
Exposure was set with an incident meter set copy-board style facing the light and opened up a stop.
As for posterization, I don't see evidence of that actually in the full size image which prints very nicely. It looks just a bit posterized in the posted jpeg, I think, since the mid-tones are actually caused by stippling as the light strikes the slight peach-fuzz and skin texture and the down-res caused some of them to merge.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: The Ascent of Man (well, of chilli actually....)

One practical note: I learn from this exercise that you can't shoot this combo from overhead without a lot of hassle - gravity causes the lens to fall forward away from focus so you have to use live view and keep your finger on the focus ring throughout...
Tim, a studio photographer's best friend: Gaffer tape!

PSon

Sinar eMotion 75LV + Hasselblad Biogon T* 903SWC

Last edited:

PSon

Thanks John!
Here are two versions which one do you folks see more effective in color or black and white?
eMotion 75LV + Hasselblad Biogon T* 903SWC

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Re: The Ascent of Man (well, of chilli actually....)

Tim, a studio photographer's best friend: Gaffer tape!
I tried that one at one point and though it was promising it didn't quite work for me - even at tiny apertures there's so little DOF that the smallest slip of the focus ring led to disaster, even such as is caused by trying to get a bit of tape on. In the end I had to use my finger, refocus every shot and use a cable release with the other hand to take the shot really quickly.

The things I'll do for chilli....
:D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Interesting. Obviously if you're going to be doing a lot of that type shooting, then a bellows you can lock down with an older manual focus lens mounted sounds like the gold-standard solution ;).

Or perhaps the S2 lenses won't slip :ROTFL:

tashley

Subscriber Member

Interesting. Obviously if you're going to be doing a lot of that type shooting, then a bellows you can lock down with an older manual focus lens mounted sounds like the gold-standard solution ;).

Or perhaps the S2 lenses won't slip :ROTFL:
I won't be doing much of that but I do have a commission to shoot a series of Stations of the Cross and they will involve a complex rig shooting from above so I will need a practical solution soon.... maybe the S2!

I asked my dealer for a bid on my entire Phase kit. So far, he has not been very forthcoming! :eek:

eleanorbrown

I found this old bright yellow truck that, in my vision, had become "part of the landscape". I visualized this as abstract shapes and colors, not so much a vehicle per se. Taken in North Park Colorado and the North Platte River can be seen through the front windshield. Phase 65+, H2, 35mm HC lens hand held. Eleanor

eleanorbrown

Thanks Bob. I enjoy images that have "abstract "qualities and speaking of those qualities, the b&w nudes you and Doug have been doing with the dramatic lighting and form and texture are some of the best I've ever seen. they become like "painting with light"...deep shadows and smooth bright highlights with wonderful tonalities. eleanor

Love the truck, Eleanor
-bob

eleanorbrown

Sensor Plus landscape shot

I have been so impressed with the Sensor Plus Technology with the 65+ that I felt this camera could do just about anything I needed it to do...so much so that I took the chance and had my only back up camera, a Canon 5D II converted for IR use only.

This shot was taken from our slow moving suv out the window. We could not stop along this section of road and the light was lovely..fog and fall color. I switched to sensor Plus on the 65+ and shot at iso 400. I would have never considered doing landscapes with anything over iso 100 before. eleanor

Don Libby

Sensor Plus landscape shot

I have been so impressed with the Sensor Plus Technology with the 65+ that I felt this camera could do just about anything I needed it to do...so much so that I took the chance and had my only back up camera, a Canon 5D II converted for IR use only.

This shot was taken from our slow moving suv out the window. We could not stop along this section of road and the light was lovely..fog and fall color. I switched to sensor Plus on the 65+ and shot at iso 400. I would have never considered doing landscapes with anything over iso 100 before. eleanor

Beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.