The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

eleanorbrown

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

One last one from Yellowstone Lake, this one looking north west, late evening after sunset. Phase P65+, H2, 80 HC lens. 50 iso
Eleanor

jimban

Here's a shot taken of a woodsman's shack in Jewell Oregon on a 3 week trip at the end of last month. One note... Thanks to Doug Peterson from CI for his help via emails while my P45 had some electronic hicups. WDS 24mm Digitar.

jim

etrump

Eleanor and Jim,

Great images in wonderful light.

Ditto on the sensor+, it is pretty amazing, now all we need is Optical IS glass.

Ed

etrump

Been trying to meet up with the Capture Integration guys FOREVER to test some MF gear... went down to Birmingham, AL for an open house of sorts and FINALLY got to shoot some of the gear I'm interested in. :thumbup:

Dave Gallagher and Chris Lawrey (sorry not to see you, Steve, after all these years of communication) were fantastically helpful. Meg, the model, was even cool with me using the images of her (that I took) for personal use only, in return for a few files for her portfolio.

I don't have c1 currently, so I had to do some acrobatics with Raw Developer and Lightroom to process these. :thumbdown:

I'm pretty sure this was with an H1 with the p30+ .. later on I tried the phase body as well (which I liked better)... my first effort using these great cams. Hope to buy real soon.

and a 100% crop... coming from canon and sony, this is mind-boggling to me:
Having just upgraded the P30+ I think it would make a wonderful fashion back. The highlight rendering is incredible with the perfect balance of sharpening characteristics.

eleanorbrown

On Sensor plus.....I've had to rather embarrassing eat my own words regarding sensor +. I was initially one of those long time Phase users who bad mouthed the idea of sensor +...."why go to 16 megapixels when i can just pull out my 21 mg. canon, etc." Well the canon in most cases hasn't been available, or not conveniently so, and the quality of sensor + is excellent. Eleanor

Eleanor and Jim,

Ditto on the sensor+, it is pretty amazing, now all we need is Optical IS glass.

Ed

eleanorbrown

Ed your images of alaska are breathtaking!! I've been up there in June, July and August, but never september to see the fall colors. I can only imagine what's it's like that time of year but your images give me a good idea! and yes IS glass for medium format would be wonderful! I do a lot of hand held shooting. Eleanor

Eleanor and Jim,

Ed

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Incredible image Bob. The DOF and exposure are perfect.
Thanks, ED.
In fact, she liked them so much, she came back to shoot for a couple more hours this morning.
-bob

etrump

On Sensor plus.....I've had to rather embarrassing eat my own words regarding sensor +. I was initially one of those long time Phase users who bad mouthed the idea of sensor +...."why go to 16 megapixels when i can just pull out my 21 mg. canon, etc." Well the canon in most cases hasn't been available, or not conveniently so, and the quality of sensor + is excellent. Eleanor
My experience with Sensor+ has been that the images are more detailed at 15MP than DSLR images at 2xMP. It appears more like a bicubic reduction of the 60MP than anything else. In addition, the absense of the DSLR anti-aliasing filter more than makes up for the smaller image size.

Not to give the impression that I am going to be junking my Nikon DSLR equipment.

I would be curious if others have similar opinions.

eleanorbrown

That's right...15 mp rather than 16. What I'm finding is that the 15 mg sensor + images are INCREDIBLY sharp... amazingly so. I had to blink the first time i looked at one at 100 percent. and the micro detail is just as amazing. I haven't quite been able to put my finger on the difference in my sensor plus shots and my Canon 5DII shots...but I think you hit the nail on the head.....no AA filter. Also handheld camera movement at 15 mp is not as much as factor as it is on my 60 mp handheld shots, so this adds to the number of hand held "keepers" that are sharp. Eleanor

My experience with Sensor+ has been that the images are more detailed at 15MP than DSLR images at 2xMP. It appears more like a bicubic reduction of the 60MP than anything else. In addition, the absense of the DSLR anti-aliasing filter more than makes up for the smaller image size.

Not to give the impression that I am going to be junking my Nikon DSLR equipment.

I would be curious if others have similar opinions.

etrump

Jim,

Nice texture image. I don't see any WA distortion from the 24mm. How did you correct it?

Ed

eleanorbrown

Also excellent color and tone. After my trip to the Olympic Rain Forest 3 years ago when I was using a 45+, I was surprised at the difficulty I had in post processing. What had looked like flat soft light (it rained the entire time) turned out to be much more contrasty than I had envisioned. Nice job on this image Jim. Eleanor

Jim,

Nice texture image. I don't see any WA distortion from the 24mm. How did you correct it?

Ed

jimban

Jim,

Ed

Hi Ed-

Thanks-

The image should be printed at 24X30. In this case I cheated to show the texture on screen and cropped a section.

Here's the original, shot about 8-9 feet off the forest floor with the camera perfectly level and plumb focussed at 8m @ f11.

jim

eleanorbrown

More from North Park Colorado. This is a huge wide open area sparsely populated but with lots of interesting opportunities for my "old rusted abandoned vehicles as part of the landscape" series. they become to me almost like pieces of sculpture with weeds, grasses and flowers intertwined. (p65+ H2 35mm HC lens) eleanor

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Eleanor,
Your junked trucks out there are MUCH nicer than ours back East.
-bob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.