The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Love this one Woody!

Actually I am looking to get a 35-90 too for my H3D ;)
Thanks Peter.

I've had the lens for a week now so I'm just learning it. Optically it's very, very good (but not perfect, the way a Summilux 40 is perfect at f5.6); it has charisma; the images shot with it stand out for a certain "transparent" quality. I'm very happy with it. 35 is wide enough for most purposes so it reduces my MF carry around kit to the camera and this lens. It's big, but it balances well - I'm hand holding it with no problem. I bought it at a promotional price; I think the promotion ended at year-end.

So far so good.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks good Woody , look forward to seeing what you can do with it at the workshop with the Salton Sea. I think I may go get a 80 1.9 for it for a different look

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jim - really inspiring work!

Felipe - My shot was taken with the Schneider Apo-Digitar 4.5/90mm N on an Alpa.

Grayhand

Well Jim, your series whit shots from the woods really struck a nerve whit me, they are really great!
I especially like the short focal dept.

I have this summer spent a great deal of my time walking backwards into the future.
I am becoming more and more intrigued whit the use of chemical sensors. There is a subtle different compared to my digital sensors. Some I can explain as a result of the camera used. My all time favourite is so far the Mamiya 6 whit its different optics ( all three of them :D ). I really like the RZ system but the Mamiya M6 is something special by one point extra. And compared to the RZ the range finder system of M6 is some thing completely different, the shallow depth of focus is the same but it is a point and shoot system... I am normally a long focal guy whit my RZ and Canon 1DSll system, but whit the Mamiya 6 I have to attack reality from a short focal length of view.

So it is a bit irritating when has been about about -30 degrees Celsius (-22 F) here in Sweden where I live. The chemical sensors tends to become a bit fragile and fall apart in the camera, normally no problem whit the digital sensors :mad:

I add a couple of photos from this summer from the Mamiya 6 system. The first two are old Porta 400 film that has been in and out of the freezer many times and is 2-4 years past prime times.
The second two are Fuji Superia 400.

So some thing I have to blame on the use of different type of sensors. But I can not fully explain the different feeling, but it is still there :confused:
But the temperature is rising now, this morning it was only – 19 degrees Celsius (-2.2 F), so soon...

Ray

JimCollum

Ray,

Those are great! From looking at what you've uploaded, it appears as though they've been over-sharpened in post processing. Without those artifacts, they appear as though they'd be very smooth. did you scan the negs or prints? could you show a small section of one full size file at 100%?

Well Jim, your series whit shots from the woods really struck a nerve whit me, they are really great!
I especially like the short focal dept.

I have this summer spent a great deal of my time walking backwards into the future.
I am becoming more and more intrigued whit the use of chemical sensors. There is a subtle different compared to my digital sensors. Some I can explain as a result of the camera used. My all time favourite is so far the Mamiya 6 whit its different optics ( all three of them :D ). I really like the RZ system but the Mamiya M6 is something special by one point extra. And compared to the RZ the range finder system of M6 is some thing completely different, the shallow depth of focus is the same but it is a point and shoot system... I am normally a long focal guy whit my RZ and Canon 1DSll system, but whit the Mamiya 6 I have to attack reality from a short focal length of view.

So it is a bit irritating when has been about about -30 degrees Celsius (-22 F) here in Sweden where I live. The chemical sensors tends to become a bit fragile and fall apart in the camera, normally no problem whit the digital sensors :mad:

I add a couple of photos from this summer from the Mamiya 6 system. The first two are old Porta 400 film that has been in and out of the freezer many times and is 2-4 years past prime times.
The second two are Fuji Superia 400.

So some thing I have to blame on the use of different type of sensors. But I can not fully explain the different feeling, but it is still there :confused:
But the temperature is rising now, this morning it was only – 19 degrees Celsius (-2.2 F), so soon...

Ray

W

Wim van Velzen

Snow at our holiday in Luxembourg, last Christmas; Rollei and 528C back:

Grayhand

Hi Jim!

I know this is not the right tread for film based photos, but the difference compared to digital intrigues me :confused:

I have scanned the negatives whit my Epson 700.
Yes there is a lot of contrast and sharpening in the photos, but that is because I have used my print files, on paper it looks exactly as I want :D
And I am experimenting a lot today on the borderland between photo and graphic art, but that is my taste. On a resent exhibition I had, many of the viewers was not sure what they did se, photos or...

I include a part of the first picture, Porta 400. It shows what can happen whit old film.

I really like the mystique and softness in your last photo :thumbs:

Ray

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Yesterday's post. H3D + 35-90 @ 90. This is straight out of the camera with no manipulation. The fuzziness in the upper right is an illusion - the glass has a graduated white pattern that actually makes the building look fuzzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.