The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimCollum

Two more from the Pic-o-Day series

Ian - Mechanic/Engineer - Narrow Gauge Railroad

Fisherman Mark - Not A Fisherman - Felton

Ben Rubinstein

Can I be naughty and ask what you're doing with the processing Jim? That look is incredible...

Not that the look is anything without your vision, love the portraits Jim.

Don Libby

Woody – Beautiful stunning image. WOW!

Jim – February’s POD’s are getting better with each passing day. Not sure which I like more the mechanic/engineer or fisherman mark. Each has it’s own unique qualities and tones. Lovely.

Don

etrump

Woody, I saw this on your blog feed and liked it there. It is a wonderful image, the mood is very moody yet peaceful. Nice work.

Jim I agree with Don on your POD. Great stuff, I tried finding a blog feed on your site. Are these POD blogged somewhere?

ED

JimCollum

Can I be naughty and ask what you're doing with the processing Jim? That look is incredible...

Not that the look is anything without your vision, love the portraits Jim.
Thanks Ben! I actually do very little in processing. I use Nik Silver Efex for the conversion.. I have 2 custom tone curves I use depending on the mood of the image. For portraits, I typically choose Red filter and modify the intensity of that filtration to suit the image.. I have a slight amount of Tri-x grain that I add in all of the images (I started with the Tri-x film definition, and used that as my initial base for the tone curves). Most of the image is due to a combination of lens (Zeiss 110/2, always shot wide open for this series), and the light (always overcast or shaded)

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Thanks to all who have taken the time to comment - its really helpful.

Both of the threads of Jim's work strike me as very powerful, and I add my voice to the praise of Derek's frozen lake.

Here's yesterday's post"

Don Libby

I go away for a short time and so many amazing photographs get posted!!! There's a lot of great work here.

Here is one from my recent trip to Lake Erie, H3DII39, 35mm, f16 at 1/4 sec:

And of course I met a few more ice fishermen!

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
www.jecxz.com

I’ve been attempting to figure the right way to say this and all I get is beautiful.

Somehow you’ve managed to depict a totally freezing environment that I as a desert rat would like to stand.

Don

JimCollum

Jim – I must admit you have me waiting for your next POD nothing since 02/03 ….
:)

02/04 isn't over yet (although it's been posted at blip already....)

Christina - Waitress, Mother - Santa Cruz

i'm only taking about 6 shots for each of these portrait sessions.. since they happen on the street, sitting or standing... and even though the focus was just a little off the eyes, this one really portrayed who she was. (that 110/2 is tough at this focus distance.. only 1/8" DOF....)

jecxz

I’ve been attempting to figure the right way to say this and all I get is beautiful.

Somehow you’ve managed to depict a totally freezing environment that I as a desert rat would like to stand.

Don
Don thanks! You may like this photograph, also at Lake Erie:

H3DII39, 35mm, f11, 1/6 second

Kind regards,
Derek

P. Chong

My first image post, appreciate comments, but appreciate some gentleness too...:).

I usually work with a Canon 1d3, but these were shot with the Hassleblad H3D-22 on a test drive...dealer demo. The lens was the HC2.8/80 with HTC1.5. The HTC was easier to use than I imagined, geared, and with sensors to tell the camera, and I understand Phocus how much of it is being used. Nice center detents too.

As I was testing the camera, I did not do any processing other than Phocus export, CS3 resized, watermark, save. I must say, I am impressed with MF quality.

This is a Lange Datograph, showing dial side. Even with tilt at the max 10deg, there is not quite enough to render the entire dial focussed.

100% crop. No further processing on CS.

Reverse side, showing movement of Datograph.

100% crop, no CS processing. No touching up, even the two strands of cotton fiber on the glass is visible. I love the 3d effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.