The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Libby

Don thanks! You may like this photograph, also at Lake Erie:

H3DII39, 35mm, f11, 1/6 second

Kind regards,
Derek

Derek, If I hadn’t know better that image looks like a cracked desert floor. Actually I’m thinking of an area I haven’t been to in a while in Death Valley. Thanks for posting it.

Don

Don Libby

Peter, great looking watch. Being a gear slut it just naturally extends to watch’s as well. :grin: And welcome to the forum!

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My first image post, appreciate comments, but appreciate some gentleness too...:).
Hi P. Chong, and welcome to getdpi!

First comment is I would have probably set the main time to "10 minutes before 2" to better see the lower part of the watch and more clearly see the hands.

Next is re the Hassy TS converter. When I tested it, I found exactly the same thing -- not enough tilt to get the PoF I needed for a typical tabletop shot. Personally, I think that if table-top product is your thing, then currently one of the digital-design view cameras like Linhof or Arca are the best bet. You could also try Helicon focus as it works very well for this type situation, and Hassy has the micro-adjust focus thing when shooting tethered which would be a perfect mate for Helicon.

All that said, everything else looks pretty good to me in terms of detail (where it is in focus) color, processing and representation!

David K

Workshop Member
Peter, as a watch buff I am a bit envious of your timepiece. A. Lange is one of the few watches I've never had the pleasure of owning. With regard to photographing watches (or any reflective jewelry) you have set yourself a difficult task. I have tried on more than one occasion to accomplish this and eliminating the reflections, on both the inside and outside of the bezel, are murder. Even the stock photos on A. Lange's website have some unwanted reflections !!! I think you did a better job on the display back, which is simply beautiful. The shot below (using my Sinar e75LV) was done as a test for a local high end watch dealer who was not happy with his in-house images but, unfortunately for me, did not have the budget to outsource them

Professional

How funny that the most item i shoot with my H3D is the watch, no much opportunity or time to go out here and nothing much interesting to shoot here at home than watches, i will try to shoot jewels [of my mom] if i can, but i need table top, i don't even have normal table for shooting products.

David K

Workshop Member
Nice image of a cool watch anyway David. Maybe your prospect will reevaluate his priorities. :)
Thanks Ed, and let me return the compliment with your shot of the pathway into the woods. I doubt I'll get that watch shooting gig but am working on another. Hope springs eternal :)

P. Chong

Thanks for the kind comments. Indeed I have been collecting watches for a long time. And shooting them is great fun.

Jack, yes, the traditional watch shot is 10 past 2, and for Lange, their product shots are 10 to 2. Same smiley effect...The session was rather hurried in a dealer studio, one hour, fired some 49 frames. Little details like getting the cotton fibers, cleaning smudges, fine tuning the positioning, making sure our reflections are not seen from the bezel were dispensed with.

I have tried Helicon Focus with my 1d3, but found the process a bit too tiresome.

David, indeed ALS is a fine watch, and a great company. I have had the pleasure of working with them, as founder of their fan club for more than a decade. You are correct that shooting small, shiny objects are a difficult task...and the crystal reflects the light source causing haze...but in may paid shots with these watches are done with the crystals removed to eliminate reflections. The more difficult reflections to rid of are those which arise from the curved bezels.

Here are two more watch pics, from another earlier session with the H3Dii-31 with the HC 4/120 macro. Lighting is one very large softbox, lit by a ProFoto monobloc, overhead the table. No processing other than Phocus out, CS, resize, watermark, save.

Apologies for dirt on the back of the strap.

100% crop.

P. Chong

Yes, I guess so...the slight fuzziness as this was done hand held.

The H3d-22 was shot on a Linhof ballhead on a Gitzo tripod. The H3dii-31 was done handheld. Both with a ProFoto monobloc with a large softbox overhead. Also no HTS, so DOF is miniscule. I can see the fat pixels of the 22 putting out a punchier picture than the 31.

Another cool watch image Peter. Looks like the 100% crop has a touch of shutter slap.

JimCollum

5 Feb 2010
Clint - Harmonica & Guitar - Santa Cruz

6 Feb 2010
Kat - Waitress - Santa Cruz

7 Feb 2010
Mary - Teacher - Santa Cruz

8 Feb 2010
Edward - Sculptor - Santa Cruz

9 Feb 2010
John - Woodcutter - Felton

jecxz

Jim,

Nice work! Question: how much time do you spend talking with these people before taking their photograph? Does anyone give you a hassel?

Kind regards,
Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.