The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Dear Xpixel
again a great eye! I am sure there will be the 'oversharpened' comments on the roses (and, they may be) but not the others
really nailed the last one
Hmmm --- is that a halo I see around the bug's antennae?

dfarkas

Workshop Member
A few shots from my recent test around my neighborhood with the S2 and 35mm Summarit-S f/2.5. Very Florida....

David

David, I like these photos. Based on the crops shown on your blog, the Leica 35mm Summarit S looks very good. I am afraid to try it out in fear that I won't be able to hold out for the 30mm - 90mm zoom.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
David, I like these photos. Based on the crops shown on your blog, the Leica 35mm Summarit S looks very good. I am afraid to try it out in fear that I won't be able to hold out for the 30mm - 90mm zoom.
Thanks Mark. Don't worry... I won't try to tempt you. I know you want the 30-90.

But..... here are some shots with 100% crops, just in case. :D

The first one is handheld at 1/180th at f/3.4. The second on is indoors, tripod-mounted at 8 sec at f/11.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Seriousy, you have a good eye Jack. The odd thing is that I don't see halo anywhere else in that image.
I see it pretty clearly along his hind leg as well, then also as a dark line along the edges of the in-focus petals. If you look at the in-focus edges of the petals in the second photo they're pretty obvious as well, though in flora halos get camouflaged because we're not certain they don't look that way in real life. However to be fair, halos from a raw file aren't generally the camera's or lens' fault, rather somewhere in the chain the sharpening radius was too large or the amount was too high or both.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
... and then there is some serious moire in that seat cushion shot of David's.

KIDDING! :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Dear Xpixel
again a great eye! I am sure there will be the 'oversharpened' comments on the roses (and, they may be) but not the others
really nailed the last one

Are you doing a 'fauna in flora' seiries? or do you you like these kinds of shots?

regards
Victor
Well Victor you can say whatever pleases you but the truth is it is all about controlling sharpness in different media and something that many need to learn. You have to realize this is a learning forum and people will critique and comment on images to try and help folks. If I see something out of whack I WILL bring it up regardless of WHO or WHAT shot it.

In this case as Jack and I have tested the S2 needs to be controlled in all the various software options we have tried. C1 it is really bad right at the default and LR3 beta I found lowering it down did a much better neutral job of bringing out the correct texture in the images and eliminate the chunky or clumpy look. Otherwise it looks too digital.

maybe you should consider a workshop and learn more about this. We have one in October geared at raw processing.

As you see Jack see's this as well as i do.
I see it pretty clearly along his hind leg as well, then also as a dark line along the edges of the in-focus petals. If you look at the in-focus edges of the petals in the second photo they're pretty obvious as well, though in flora halos get camouflaged because we're not certain they don't look that way in real life. However to be fair, halos from a raw file aren't generally the camera's or lens' fault, rather somewhere in the chain the sharpening radius was too large or the amount was too high or both.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW I have not commented on a lot of images as of late as I have been very very busy with my family needs at the moment but seen some great stuff folks and i have to admit I am very jealous as i have not been able to get out and shoot for myself in awhile but only gigs. So please keep up the images love to browse them. Have fun

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

If they would have just built that farmhouse in the field behind it the scene would have been much better. ;)
Thanks for the kind comments, Jack and Ed. I guess I could move the farmhouse back easily enough in PS...but I have ethics! (Some, anyway.)

I have printed this shot with a good crop of the left and bottom, to get the farm in the "golden" spot, but critics seeing the print prefer this version - they say it introduces some tension.

I'll play with the file and see if I can improve it - as I said, "I might have processed it differently today".

Bill

David K

Workshop Member
A few shots from my recent test around my neighborhood with the S2 and 35mm Summarit-S f/2.5. Very Florida....

David
David, these are beautiful. I'm guessing that shot of the Diplomat hotel is from your balcony... nice view you've got there. Love the colors in that twilight shot too. Looks like that new 35mm lens might be a keeper.

Double Negative

Not Available
A quick shakedown of the new "503CWD" (CFV added to 503CW) in the garden did not disappoint. Nothing fancy - just trying different lenses, extension tubes, ISOs.

Status
Not open for further replies.