The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog6

Tasman Bridge & Cornelian bay, Tasmania, Australia - A 7 shot pano with the H2/P20/HC80mm. I went for a drive mid afternoon with no expectation of any decent shots, but there is magical southern light in Tassie and it worked again for these lovely reflections. There is a larger size on my Flickr.

djonesii

Workshop Member
These are some from my last shoot .....
The first is a nikon, the second a Mamiya ZD.
The were taken seconds apart, both with Normal Primes.

Nikon

I am a bit biased, but I feel the Mamiya image is quite superior to the Nikon.

Please feel free to comment.

Dave

Lloyd

These are some from my last shoot .....
The first is a nikon, the second a Mamiya ZD.
The were taken seconds apart, both with Normal Primes.
Nikon

I am a bit biased, but I feel the Mamiya image is quite superior to the Nikon.

Please feel free to comment.

Dave
These are both really good. I love the light, especially in the second shot. I think the Mamiya shot is superior from a strictly IQ perspective, but I really like the first shot better overall.

Hey everyone! I'm new to this board, but I've put some time in over at the Nikon Board.

Anyways, first contributions. The work on this entire site is just astounding, and I'm hoping to continue to learn, share and enjoy. So thanks!!

All were taken with a Mamiya 645 1000s, 80 1.9 tri-x 100 and scanned with a V600.

Thanks!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
All are great but these 2 stands out, great work.
Ditto -- but IMHO the church interior is a stand out excellent. Very nice composition, and excellent B&W conversion! Would be interested if you did the B&W conversion during raw conversion or in post?

B

Bob Davis

Ditto -- but IMHO the church interior is a stand out excellent. Very nice composition, and excellent B&W conversion! Would be interested if you did the B&W conversion during raw conversion or in post?
I agree with Jack. That church is something to behold.

Bob

xpixel

Thank you.

I have made the B&W conversion during raw conversion with Photoshop CS5.

djonesii

Workshop Member
These are both really good. I love the light, especially in the second shot. I think the Mamiya shot is superior from a strictly IQ perspective, but I really like the first shot better overall.
Thanks Lloyd.

On this site, I try to post images that show up the differences in equipment. As I say, the images were taken in nearly identical lighting conditions. Perhaps the model moved a bit while I picked up the Nikon from the table, but not that much. The crop is pretty close, so I feel comfortable comparing the images. I feel that the Nikon holds much less detail in the shadows and highlights, and does not have the same resolution as the Mamiya.

If that resolution is good or not is a different question. I can always smooth out skin in post, but I find it near on impossible to add detail back.

The processing was not identical either. I used the same program for both, and I find the Capture one works much better on the Mamiya files that Lightroom. It seems a toss up on the Nikon, so to simplify my workflow when shooting both systems, I just use C1 to process. The black and white conversion might not be identical either.

Point is, I tried to process both images to what I find best, this is clearly not a brick wall type comparison.

Best;

Dave

Stuart Richardson

It certainly looks good! That said, xpixel posts the images so huge that I have to scroll all around to see them (on a 15" macbook pro). I wonder whether the other back manufacturers stuff would look as good if people posted the same huge files?

Professional

I am sure it will be same quality or better, i am looking at photos here on my 30" Apple display, it will be same high quality on my another 22"Eizo [i am poor, can't afford 24" or 30" eizo], but the quality i can see on 30" or 22" is unbelievable, i am happy to be in medium format club even i am not that pro/experienced guy yet.

thomas

That said, xpixel posts the images so huge that I have to scroll all around to see them (on a 15" macbook pro).
it's a pain! an image that has no impact at 800x600 pixels has a problem...
Too, I wonder how low some people rate their own work... this is almost big enough to make a print...

I wonder whether the other back manufacturers stuff would look as good if people posted the same huge files?
are you kidding?
well, it's at least big enough to show the CAs ... SCNR :p

Status
Not open for further replies.