The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrump

BTW, I see you used sensor+ was the light that low? or did you just want to get the speed (for the 300mm lens) and stop down for DOF? why not just 400 ISO? would it have been too noisy?
Thanks all for the kind comments.

Victor, your guess is EXACTLY my reasons were for using Sensor+.

The wind was blowing about 30mph where I was perched and it took probably 90 minutes for the light to work long enough to capture the scene. There were low lying clouds with only small breaks and I needed the sun to light up enough of the scene to highlight the incredible colors.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One more. Same combo as above: P20+ with 110mm.
Charlie, I like this last tree trunk shot, texture and light. I might suggest burning down the building in the background right a bit (pun intended!) so it isn't quite as prominent. It also shows the one weakness of the 110/2 -- back-bokeh from it can be a bit 'clumpy' when rendering regular geometry.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Xpixel,

Your image is still WAYYY too big for a 15" laptop or people with slow internet. PLEASE

1) keep it to 1200 pixels on the LARGEST dimension, then provide a LINK to click for the larger version!

2) or simply upload it as an attachment and let our forum software deal with sizing it.

THANK YOU!

xpixel

Xpixel,

Your image is still WAYYY too big for a 15" laptop or people with slow internet. PLEASE

1) keep it to 1200 pixels on the LARGEST dimension, then provide a LINK to click for the larger version!

2) or simply upload it as an attachment and let our forum software deal with sizing it.

THANK YOU!
OK... here is the 1200.. (in with or high...?)...:)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Much better. I can see it all at once on my 15" laptop and it looks far more impressive than the one before it even had a hope of looking ;)

Re which 1200 dimension, as I said above, 1200 pixels in the LARGEST dimension! So in the case of that image, the width as you posted it -- and the 700 pixels tall is about right too. So it's also probably best to keep them no more than 800 pixels tall as that will still display easily on most laptops...

Professional

What i love here is that i can see so large shots, larger than 1200 which i love, i have a laptop of 13" and 17", i don't use those mostly to watch photos from the net not even my photos to edit as i many times working with about 2000x pics, so those laptops are not very preferable for view so large pics, and i understand that many many out there viewing pics on laptops and there are also slow speed internet users, but i feel very very happy to see so large shots on any forum on my desktop displays, those 1200 or smaller shots don't give justice to the quality of the shots most of the time, and i know it is sometimes painful if i have to post same shots twice, once with resized dimensions and the other is a link of larger size due to forums rules, but i hope one day in the future many people will upgrade their monitors and connections so at least we can see pics at 2000 or larger.

S

Shelby Lewis

... but i hope one day in the future many people will upgrade their monitors and connections so at least we can see pics at 2000 or larger.
I would venture to say that most (of not all, lol) people on this forum have monitors with which they could view 200px shots. That's not the issue. It's just that many of us aren't at home in front of our editing machines 24/7... the size requirements are there for simple courtesy and bandwidth considerations, right?

I'll be quiet now. :)

Professional

I would venture to say that most (of not all, lol) people on this forum have monitors with which they could view 200px shots. That's not the issue. It's just that many of us aren't at home in front of our editing machines 24/7... the size requirements are there for simple courtesy and bandwidth considerations, right?

I'll be quiet now. :)
I don't view this forum or another when i am at work, i only view when i am at home or in the photography club, no point for me if i have to view always something at 1000 or 800 and smaller, and if you are checking your posts and forums at work or in car then i can understand but this will never help then, but anyway, i am not saying it should be must, but i wish if it will happen, people coming here for MF digital and high end gear even in 35mm formats and can't go with big monitors or faster connections is really the funniest in the world, i swear if my 30" and 22" doesn't work for any reason i will go and buy another 30" or minimum 24-27" again, just i don't see that 15-20" give most shots justice if viewed at smaller sizes as i said, i know the rules of all forums now to keep the maximum at longest side between 800x up to 1200x, good move to keep many people poor to enjoy the forums but at least make 1500 or 2000x as maximum, will not ask for larger as all camera almost shoot larger than 1500x nowadays even mobile cameras but i think the best minimum long dimension should be minimum 1200x not maximum, and it is mostly the file size of the photo which can play a rule of bandwidth more than dimension, i can post a photo of 600x maximum with 2mb size of file and it will be loading longer than 2000x with file size of 600-800kb, how about i upload a tiff file photo here with longest dimension of 750 with 4-8mb size?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The issue is bandwidth and monitor size FOR THOSE FOLKS THAT DON'T HAVE EITHER OR BOTH, period. So once again, so it is painfully clear to those that want to post and/or view bigger images, POST A LINK TO THE LARGER IMAGE HOSTED WHEREVER YOU HAVE IT HOSTED. Simple solution and it satisfies everybody -- except those that don't want to have to click a link to see a larger version, but then that's their problem.

The other option is we start a new MF images thread where folks can post OVER 2000 pixel images. But don't blame me if it doesn't get the high volume of traffic that this thread does...

JCVG

Test shoot with the H4D40 (1/800 150mm at F5.6 100 ISO).

I am soooo in love with this camera! Actually this picture was taken with the demo camera from my dealer but I'll get mine TOMORROW! :D

BTW, I love this forum and I think it's nice to have a place like this one where we can see so many pictures from different MF brands, models and different style of photography. Thanks guys. :)

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
ok.. I fully understand that there are a plethora of reasons for shooting, documenting travel and love of gear are time old traditions in photography. i just thought i'd send out a query to see if you had a desire to add to those. You do have excellent gear, as well as access to some pretty spectacular places. Having taught quite a bit, it appeared that your work was consistent over the years, and didn't know if there was anything else you desired from it.

I am curious though.. what business are you in? You seem successful enough in it to allow you some pretty exotic opportunities!

jealous in California...

jim
Dear Jim

Unfortunately photography must remain a 'serious hobby' as I run a small company in the healthcare area. I am happy to be able to exploit the travel we do, but have not tried my hand at the more creative aspects of photography. In almost all circumsatnces I am rushed, and barely apply decent craft skill of proper composition and exposure.

That said, I have a small but dedicated following of people who are interested in some of the places we have been, and I can break even on costs as I sell prints.

The harshest critics? Family, of course :ROTFL:

regards
Victor

Status
Not open for further replies.