The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotografz

Nice series Marc! We have a small cabin on a smaller lake in the Sierras, and one property owner has one of those little boat-cars (car-boats?). Anyway it is a kick to see it buzzing its way around the lake, driver and passengers enjoying their evening cocktails!
That's a hoot Jack. Not sure I'd be drinking and driving in one of those things on the water ... LOL!

I can thank Guy for striving to eliminate 35mm DSLRs from the old gear closet ... which this little exercise took me a step closer to doing.

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea have to agree Marc our 40 mpx machines eliminate a lot of stuff. We both enjoy high ISO's and faster cams . Can't beat that with a stick

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Guy, Ed, Jack, thanks for your comments. For printing I generally leave sharpening at the C1 default and then use Pixel Genius in CS for output sharpening. Gives nice detail without looking too digital, if you know what I mean.

Interestingly, for the web pix I post here I find that using C1's "Soft Image Sharpening 1" (at 2000 pixels) is a quick and dirty way of processing! But that didn't work with the Helicon shot.

Bill

Guy Mancuso

I like the look from this lens but maybe a little long for the P40+ . Hoping maybe a 35mm LS someday or even a 40mm

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Stefane, very nice series! (Happy Men Valley? Too funny!)

Bill, Do you by any chance any 55 images shot wide open, even just a snap? (FWIW, you are really making me lust for that 55, but I'd like to see a wide open shot!)

D

DerekJ

A friend & client of Optechs let me ride along in the heli on a recent shoot. It was a gray day, so I didn't get the grand skyline and space needle shots that I wanted, but I had a great time regardless. Here are a couple of images. P45+, 645AF, 80D, f2.8 and ISO 200. I varied the shutter speed between 1/800 and 1/1600.

Cheers,
Derek
View attachment 34600
View attachment 34601

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

OK, here are a few test shots. Not a very appealing subject and rather poorly lit with consequent underexposure of the books, but I didn't have much time and was testing for sharpness only. I hope they will help. Shot with the P65+ and 55 mm LS lens mounted on a Gitzo with the Cube and an electronic cable release with MLU.

All shots were processed with C1 defaults only, except I used the automatic Lens Correction tool for the Schneider 55 LS lens. Also the corner shots were lightened a bit in PS.

The first one is the full frame at f2.8. Focus was on the "Image Clarity" book in the center. (good choice, don't you think?) The next is that book at 100%.

The next three are of the extreme left side at 2.8, 4 and 5.6.

The next three are the bottom right corner, again at 2.8, 4 and 5.6.

You will note that there is a fair amount of light fall-off in the f2.8 shot - easily corrected of course.

This final shot is the same bottom right corner at f2.8 BUT with C1's corner sharpness applied at +100%. It lacks smoothness on the screen, but in print it looks perfectly natural.

My verdict is that this lens is very sharp at full aperture except for the extreme corners which also have modest vignetting of about one stop or less. They clean up nicely by f5.6. I haven't posted any f8 shots (ran out of gallery space!) but they show a further small improvement in contrast.

A keeper for sure.

Bill

Don Libby

All the talk about the Phase One bodies and new camera bracket made me go back to a couple images that I took long time ago using the Phase One AFD III and first the P30+ followed by the P45+ just prior to selling the gear and moving 100% to the Cambo WRS.

OR beach, P45+ and Phase One P45+ and Mamiya 28mm (January 28, 2009)

South Rim - P30+ and Mamiya AFDII and Mamiya 28mm (December 9, 2007)

South Rim - P45+ and Cambo WRS and 72mm (December 15, 2009)

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My verdict is that this lens is very sharp at full aperture except for the extreme corners which also have modest vignetting of about one stop or less. They clean up nicely by f5.6. I haven't posted any f8 shots (ran out of gallery space!) but they show a further small improvement in contrast.

A keeper for sure.

Bill
Bill, thank you in the extreme for this. IMHO, the falloff and slight corner softness wide open is actually a feature for generating a look I'm after. Then given both all but disappear by f5.6 is another big plus, giving me a "two-fer" in one lens.

Best,

Don Libby

Don:

Love that beach shot a LOT!

:thumbs:
Thanks Jack. I took that shot on a side trip to OR while I was shooting the Redwoods with my then new WRS; returned home and started selling off the gear to finance more glass for the Cambo. This turned out to be one of the last images taken with that combo.

Funny thing is that there's some gear I regret selling however the Cambo WRS fits me so well that I've never regretted the sale.

Don

Guy Mancuso

Bill, thank you in the extreme for this. IMHO, the falloff and slight corner softness wide open is actually a feature for generating a look I'm after. Then given both all but disappear by f5.6 is another big plus, giving me a "two-fer" in one lens.

Best,
Have to agree , lens looks pretty darn awesome. Just looking at my new 80 LS stuff. Wow is the word of the day.

Think I will start knitting another sky mask for the 55 and 110:D

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

All the talk about the Phase One bodies and new camera bracket made me go back to a couple images that I took long time ago using the Phase One AFD III and first the P30+ followed by the P45+ just prior to selling the gear and moving 100% to the Cambo WRS.

Don
"A long time ago"? like 18 months? I may disagree with your definition, but the images are timeless!
I'm envious,
Bill

Don Libby

"A long time ago"? like 18 months? I may disagree with your definition, but the images are timeless!
I'm envious,
Bill
I must of been channeling Ray Bradley while I wrote that...:wtf:

Besides around here 18 months is a lifetime considering the amount of gear that's passed through our hands. :ROTFL:

Thanks for the kind words on the images.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.