The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrigan63

Marc,

I would like to ask you about the RZ67 Pro IID. I was contemplating this rig as a starting point for jumping into MFD. The secondhand market for these seems reasonably priced and I heard nothing but raves over the lenses. What would the advantages be of this system over say a Hassy 503CW with the AE prism and Grip?

Valentin

Marc,

I would like to ask you about the RZ67 Pro IID. I was contemplating this rig as a starting point for jumping into MFD. The secondhand market for these seems reasonably priced and I heard nothing but raves over the lenses. What would the advantages be of this system over say a Hassy 503CW with the AE prism and Grip?

I've been researching this a lot lately since I'm trying to decide what system to get into.

From my research, these are the ADVANTAGES:

- multiple format: 6x6, 6x7, 6x4.5
- rotating back if you want to shoot vertical (6x7 or 6x4.5)

I'm sure Marc (and others) have more experience and could point out some other benefits as well.

etrigan63

Thanks Val! I await the sage responses from the others.

TBH, I am sorely tempted by the Pentax 645D. I have played with some RAW files from it and they are very nice on the screen and even nicer on my 24" printer. It plugs in nicely to my existing workflow and can take advantage of more economical DSLR class accessories like an Eye-Fi X2 Pro card for wireless tethered operation.

Last edited:

SergeiR

Hmm.. Thanks Marc. I might look at the grip, but it adds 400g to already heavy system. Is it left/right symmetrical, per chance? I cant really hold things in my left hand very tight - old injury that didnt get properly patched - nerve endings in left palm are kinda funky ;(

S

SCHWARZZEIT

Another from the Maritime provinces. P65+, 55 LS.

Bill, I like the color on this one but I think for me the contrast between the sharp textures of the outside frontage and the soft tonality on the inside is what really makes this image.

-Dominique

KeithL

what?nobody commented on Jim's abstractions?
OK, I'll bite.

The success of 'abstracted' images often depends on the degree of abstraction.

It could be that the images would have been more successful had they been either less or more abstracted. Less would have resulted in figurative abstraction and more in pure abstraction. At the moment these images lie between the two.

Here's an image from a series that I made sometime ago. The aim was to create an image that again falls between figurative and pure abstraction. I swing between thinking it works and thinking it doesn't.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks Dominique & Keith, your comments most welcome!

Keith, you bring up an interesting quasi-ethical issue! The fact is, the bag was there and so it got recorded. In fact there was no way I could have had it removed - but would I have if I could have? Probably not - my view is that I should record what "is", not what I'd like to see!

As for straightening the window, the same thought applies. If it really was tilted, that's the way it should be recorded, IMHO. In this case I'm not sure if it really was or whether it was a lack of proper alignment on my part. I'll revisit the image (which was cropped to show here) to see if the tilt was "real" or "me"!

Thanks for commenting!
Bill

Ben Rubinstein

OK, I'll bite.

The success of 'abstracted' images often depends on the degree of abstraction.

It could be that the images would have been more successful had they been either less or more abstracted. Less would have resulted in figurative abstraction and more in pure abstraction. At the moment these images lie between the two.

Here's an image from a series that I made sometime ago. The aim was to create an image that again falls between figurative and pure abstraction. I swing between thinking it works and thinking it doesn't.

Works. I have a feeling that good composition makes a good photo even if the composition is only of colours, shapes, etc.

KeithL

Keith, you bring up an interesting quasi-ethical issue! The fact is, the bag was there and so it got recorded. In fact there was no way I could have had it removed - but would I have if I could have? Probably not - my view is that I should record what "is", not what I'd like to see!

As for straightening the window, the same thought applies. If it really was tilted, that's the way it should be recorded, IMHO. In this case I'm not sure if it really was or whether it was a lack of proper alignment on my part. I'll revisit the image (which was cropped to show here) to see if the tilt was "real" or "me"!
Bill, as far as I can see the window and the tiles are tilted at the same angle which led me to believe that the tilt was probably slight misalignment of camera rather than subject. Of course it could be that both tiles and window were tilted! It's probably just me, but I find slight misalignments rather irritating and yet celebrate the wildly misaligned.

...and this leads me on to my second point. I guess having a background as a painter means that I have a different standpoint than if I had started out as a photographer. Painters tend to portray their own truth rather than any literal truth, and as I've probably said here in the past, fidelity doesn't really interest me. When the chips are down I make images rather than record them.

Thankfully we are all different.

Status
Not open for further replies.