The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I spent this past weekend on a workshop at the Gladding McBean Ceramics factory in Lincoln, CA. The factory was originally opened in 1875 and is still in operation today. They make everything from ceramic bathroom tiles to 42" diameter clay sewer pipe. The total plant covers around 400 ares and they have 20 of those under one interconnected roof!

These images were all made with my P65+/DF, mostly with the 80LS or the 110LS and mostly shot wide-open. I chose sepia because I think it better portrays the overall feel of the place when you're in it; it is like stepping back in time in many parts. Also, the lighting is very dim, so most of these are fairly long exposures -- I went through 4 back batteries in a day of maybe 200 image captures. Also, the lighting is a mixture of Mercury vapor, Sodium vapor, Fluorescent, Tungsten, Daylight through cruddy windows and the gas-jets on the kilns themselves, so color is "interesting" to say the very least! Jim Collum was on this workshop as well, and shot his M9 most of the time, so you'll find some of his images in the Leica image thread.

I processed all of these images in C1 using a custom split-sepiatone style I built in the new B&W tool in ver 6. The only work done in Photoshop was putting the C1 images in the frames.

Here's a sample, C&C welcome:

Uaiomex

Sorry, I went through the series again. WOW!!!!
What do you call this? Inspiration? serendipity?, expertise?, luck?, gear? talent? All of these?

MikeScecina

Workshop Member
+1. And except for the few indicators of modernity most of this series could have been taken a hundred years ago. I especially like the 'Managers Office'. The light is superb (the desk lamp is pretty cool too) and IMHO it would make a beautiful print.

SergeiR

agreed ;) Nice series, Jack. Still - would be kinda interesting to see it in colour, actually.. mixed sources might be something to add to image ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nice Jack. Sorry folks I was in LA all week shooting and just got home . Was on the forum very little in that time frame but some nice images here.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the kind words everybody! It is what we refer to as a "target rich environment!" Guy is flying out next week and we are going to discuss possibly adding this as a side-excursion to one of our GetDPI workshops.

Sergei, I will try to process out a few in "color" and post them tomorrow.

For now, here is one more that Jim Collum gets credit for pointing out to me:

And a couple that hopefully bring a smile:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thank you for the kind words everybody! It is what we refer to as a "target rich environment!" Guy is flying out next week and we are going to discuss possibly adding this as a side-excursion to one of our GetDPI workshops.

Sergei, I will try to process out a few in "color" and post them tomorrow.

For now, here is one more that Jim Collum gets credit for pointing out to me:

And a couple that hopefully bring a smile:

Done . All in

This and the Northern coast :D

Status
Not open for further replies.