The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
What film brings to this picture (and what makes the picture appealing) is the shoulder of the response curve which means that the illuminated windows don't fully blow out, and halation, which leads to a warm glow around the windows. It took 10 minutes or so to spot the scan in Photoshop.

This image suggests a lot that there is to love and hate about film.

Here's a repost of the image with the scratch gone and a minor curves adjustment. This is Mies van der Rohe's Seagrams building; the image is part of my longstanding project photographing icons.
One advantage of the film is you can combine two scans to tone down the highlights as a modified HDR...without the comic book result seen so much these days.

By the way...the second post on your blog shows much better than this one.:thumbup:

Bob

T

the scanner-guy

Finally a sunny week-end here in Florence! I tried to shoot from the middle of a piazza full of tourists, with the scanner, the huge tripod, and a large trolley for the other stuff.
The funny thing is that I didn't take the car, but I took the bus (imagine me with all that stuff in a bus!).

Clicking on the image you can see an almost full-resolution version.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Thought I'd throw up a few of my favorites from the workshop ... which was terrific btw ... thx Jack and Guy.

Anyway, favorite from the trip ...

Pano from monument valley ...

My version of north window sunrise ...

A couple of tight shots using the river ...

One more I like of the canyon

I won't bore you with more ... I threw a bunch in a gallery if you want to take a look ...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Nice capture Woody! What os going on in the upper LH corner -- looks like a color shift, or is it from a polarizing filter? FWIW, you have some rather serious dust :)

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Nice capture Woody! What os going on in the upper LH corner -- looks like a color shift, or is it from a polarizing filter? FWIW, you have some rather serious dust :)
Jack - What you're seeing is me adding too much post crop vignetting. I need to get a grip on this topic. The Phocus "scene calibration" tool actually does a perfect job on color shift and vignetting and I used it here. I'm reposting with the post crop vignetting (and some slight warming) removed. On the spots I need to be a little less lazy in post - some dust seems to be an issue because I'm constantly moving the back from the H4D to the SDT to the Max and back.

I've also included a crop. This was the STC handheld.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's certainly sharp! Understand on the vignette, and C1 LCC works similarly to Phocus' calibration I believe. However, I am still seeing in that corner what appears to be a magenta shift relative to the center sky, and then some slight yellow-green in the clouds at the same corner. Could be my laptop if you're not seeing it.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
It's certainly sharp! Understand on the vignette, and C1 LCC works similarly to Phocus' calibration I believe. However, I am still seeing in that corner what appears to be a magenta shift relative to the center sky, and then some slight yellow-green in the clouds at the same corner. Could be my laptop if you're not seeing it.
I too am on my laptop - I'll check it out on my calibrated monitor tomorrow.

Professional

I see those on my calibrated monitor, but i think those can be corrected as well.
Nice job Woody, please link me how did you manage to use your H4-60 on technical camera? i have same that DB but i am thinking to get a technical camera sooner or later, but i thought it is not possible to use Hasselblad HDB on another cameras such as technical ones.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
More film. Friday March 11's post. This confirms what I thought I knew about the grayscale rendering of chromogenic film. Back to digital for now.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member

Finally a sunny week-end here in Florence! I tried to shoot from the middle of a piazza full of tourists, with the scanner, the huge tripod, and a large trolley for the other stuff.
The funny thing is that I didn't take the car, but I took the bus (imagine me with all that stuff in a bus!).

Clicking on the image you can see an almost full-resolution version.
This is very cool. Congratulations on putting this together.

Status
Not open for further replies.