The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrigan63

When I concluded that it must be badly scanned 35mm film I was unbiased, as I had not read what camera you used... some pictures (even D3X) come to life when you zoom in to them, even at web res, but not these.

Hasselblad/Phocus would handle this scene no problem without HDR... your HDR picture is more colorful but lacks impact and res... a polarizing filter would help. Perhaps you could try more post-processing rather than HDR. Where does the gravel in the sky come from?

Have you tried Jack's MF to web downsizer plugin?

Please find attached a hi-contrast scene I took with my H3D11-50 (which I have upgraded to H4D-60). I took pictures for HDR but did not need them.

I have just re-downsized it with jack's plug-in... I like it how it is, but I could have "enhanced" the colours.
Hi Dick,
I only posted the HDR as an academic exercise in pulling the detail out of an image. It is an extreme case and badly done on purpose to show the amount of detail actually hidden in a file. I would never dream of presenting that as a finished product. I had no idea Jack had a downsizer plugin. Where do I get it and for what software product does it plug into?

They did not demo focus confirmation on the back we had, so I assumed it was not enabled in this prototype. Claus Pederson (President of Phase One) assures me that it will be on the shipping backs. I had a lovely chat with him at the Phase/CI event in Miami.

D

Deleted member 7792

Blog post for yesterday. B of A building on Bryant Park. Alpa TC + 60 meg Hasselblad back + 36mm Schneider.

One of my favorites so far of your NYC building images. The composition and exposure of the buildings, reflections and sky are truly breathtaking. Excellent shot, Woody. By the way, are you shooting handheld? Is it possible with that combo?

jimban

Along the Merced last week.
Arca m-line 2 135mm Sironar Digital f11 stitched 4 shot (downrezed w Jack's Action script)

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Woody: what are you doing for a viewfinder?
The Alpa viewfinder with the correct mask, which is not accurate by a long shot. (the frame lines are substantially smaller than what the lens takes in.) The Leica 24mm finder, or the frankenfinder, are at least as good even though the aspect ratio is wrong.

Last edited:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Must be confusing to others as most stare at their feet not the sky.

Bob

I look like a tourist - natives walk at high speed, generally in traffic in the middle of the street, with their eyes fixed straight ahead. Except that the power cord running down my sleeve to the H back make me look like a suicide bomber.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
One of my favorites so far of your NYC building images. The composition and exposure of the buildings, reflections and sky are truly breathtaking. Excellent shot, Woody. By the way, are you shooting handheld? Is it possible with that combo?
Handheld is the point of the exercise. Here's a picture that looks just like my setup (obviously a different back but its the same size) that I scraped off of the Alpa site:

This is meant to be handheld. For metering I use the sunny 16 rule (and its various adjustments for shade, etc.) and check the histogram. For focusing I'm hyperfocused which with the 36 covers a lot of ground. So it's a point and shoot with an extra twitch of the thumb to cock the shutter. I keep it in one hand hanging on by the handstrap so it's always ready to use.

Shutter speads down to 1/30 are really easy. The combination is heavy - the intertia inherent in its weight helps stablize it.

I've said many times that this is the Hasselblad Superwide C for the digital age (of course 3x4 rather than square).

BTW I couldn't have gotten this with a tripod because I'm standing in the middle of the street in a small gap in the traffic. The great thing about this is the ability to shoot fast and loose - an intuitive rather than deliberative style.

SergeiR

RZ Pro IID + Mamiya ZD @ iso 100 + 140/4.5 L-A macro

Lit by SB900 and YN460II (and cardboard snoot..arf)

Last edited:
S

Shelby Lewis

Wow, Woody.

From a little walk today:

A bit of construction near the apartment:

A bit windy at the lakes:

Cheers!
Shelby

yaya

I look like a tourist - natives walk at high speed, generally in traffic in the middle of the street, with their eyes fixed straight ahead. Except that the power cord running down my sleeve to the H back make me look like a suicide bomber.
Add a white diffuser filter hanging on a string from your neck (for removing colour casts, remember it next time!) and you're guaranteed to be arrested:)

Nice shot! Would work great in B&W I think.

etrump

Hi Will, Alice Springs is as close as I get. VIC, NSW, NT, and Qnsld this time.

Having a great time so far. We've got about another three weeks in the country.

Quentin_Bargate

I took a few days off last week to travel to the West of England, Devon and Cornwall. Here are a few images with some details below:

These unusual rock formations are at Sandy Mouth near Bude on the north Cornwall coast. Hasselblad H4D-50 with HC 50mm lens.

Hasselblad H4D-50 with 120 Macro lens

Focus stacked from 3 images: Hasselblad H4D-50 with HC 50mm lens

Sandy Mouth beach again. Focus stacked from 2 images. H4D-50, 28mm lens.

Clovelly Harbour at low tide, early AM. Focus stacked from 2 images. Hasselblad H4D-50, 28mm lens

Quentin

amazing unseasonally warn March weather :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.