The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

I took a few days off last week to travel to the West of England, Devon and Cornwall. Here are a few images with some details below:

amazing unseasonally warn March weather :thumbup:
Hi Quentin
Love the second and fourth shots - hope you're all well.
We're off to Cornwall for a week, but I think I'll be working most of the time. I've still resisted the MF bug . . . . don't even feel like I'm teetering on the brink anymore!
all the best

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Quentin
Love the second and fourth shots - hope you're all well.
We're off to Cornwall for a week, but I think I'll be working most of the time. I've still resisted the MF bug . . . . don't even feel like I'm teetering on the brink anymore!
all the best
Hi Jono

Thanks - we are well, and hope you, Emma and family are too.

I forgot you had a place in Cornwall.

I spent one evening in Paignton with a coachload of pensioners from Wolverhampton. Don't ask...:D

I can still see your hands gripping a nice Leica S2. Hmmm...

Quentin

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin, I really like that series! :thumbs:
Hi Jack, many thanks :)

With a couple of the images this was the first time I had seriously used focus stacking with Helicon Focus. I was looking at the Hassy HTS 1.5 to replicate LF movements, but I wonder (save for shift for archiotecture) whether this is really necessary in many cases? Focus stacking is miore versatile I would argue. The HTS 1.5 would not have been much use forthe Clovelly harbour shot, for example, whereas focus stacking was.

And the HTS 1.5 costs a shedload of cash.

Quentin

Nice photos Quentin.. That's the same dilemma I'm facing with the HTS also, Would be a shame to not be able to shoot at 28mm, the HTS is not cheap either!

Quentin_Bargate

Nice photos Quentin.. That's the same dilemma I'm facing with the HTS also, Would be a shame to not be able to shoot at 28mm, the HTS is not cheap either!
Hi Will

The HTS would be great for a limited range of subjects. I'm beginning to conclude it is a clever solution to a problem I don't have, or for which I have better alternative solutions.

cheers

Quentin

D

Deleted member 7792

I took a few days off last week to travel to the West of England, Devon and Cornwall. Here are a few images with some details below:

Hasselblad H4D-50 with 120 Macro lens

Sandy Mouth beach again. Focus stacked from 2 images. H4D-50, 28mm lens.

Quentin
I like them all, Quentin, but these two are my favorites. Well done. The focus stacking worked very well for you. I've had mixed results.

Quentin_Bargate

I like them all, Quentin, but these two are my favorites. Well done. The focus stacking worked very well for you. I've had mixed results.
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your kind words. Focus stacking - well, the subjects I have used it with lend themseves to the technique pretty well.

I have been looking though the work on your website, great work and quite a variety too. A pleasure to visit.

I'd be interested to hear of any issues you have found with focus stacking (I use Helicon) in case i run in to them.... One I have had was some "ghosting" around edges, but it was a fairly quick fix.

I hope you are enjoying using your H4D-50.

cheers
Quentin

etrump

These unusual rock formations are at Sandy Mouth near Bude on the north Cornwall coast. Hasselblad H4D-50 with HC 50mm lens.

Hasselblad H4D-50 with 120 Macro lens

Focus stacked from 3 images: Hasselblad H4D-50 with HC 50mm lens

Sandy Mouth beach again. Focus stacked from 2 images. H4D-50, 28mm lens.

Clovelly Harbour at low tide, early AM. Focus stacked from 2 images. Hasselblad H4D-50, 28mm lens

Quentin

amazing unseasonally warn March weather :thumbup:
Quentin, All fantastic but the last one is incredible. Great job on the stacking and DOF.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Hi Jack, many thanks :)

With a couple of the images this was the first time I had seriously used focus stacking with Helicon Focus. I was looking at the Hassy HTS 1.5 to replicate LF movements, but I wonder (save for shift for archiotecture) whether this is really necessary in many cases? Focus stacking is miore versatile I would argue. The HTS 1.5 would not have been much use forthe Clovelly harbour shot, for example, whereas focus stacking was.

And the HTS 1.5 costs a shedload of cash.

Quentin
I've owned an HTS 1.5 but recently sold it in favor of a technical camera and focus stacking. With the HTS 1.5 it is actually quite hard to get focus correct in the viewfinder. Most people who are using it are using it tethered for product and the like under controlled lighting where live view is available.

It would be really, really nice if H did a firmware modification that automated focus stacking.

dick

It would be really, really nice if H did a firmware modification that automated focus stacking.
I have been telling Hasselblad that - and if more people mention it, they might start thinking about it.

One of the problems is that the lens does not feed back precise values for the focus distance or the extension... but it might be possible using the focus zone info that is fed back, or, perhaps, motor run time.

kuau

Workshop Member
Woody,
Incredible, I wish I had "way to much gear" and way to much time. :LOL:
Qeestion how do you power your 60mp Hasselblad back?

Steven

D&A

>>>:thumbs: Ed,
gorgeous images here

steven>>>

+1 :thumbs: ...as are so many other images posted here in the "Fun with MF images"

Dave (D&A)

Quentin_Bargate

I've owned an HTS 1.5 but recently sold it in favor of a technical camera and focus stacking. With the HTS 1.5 it is actually quite hard to get focus correct in the viewfinder. Most people who are using it are using it tethered for product and the like under controlled lighting where live view is available.

Interesting observations, Woody. I think you have finally killed off any lingering desire I had for an HTS 1.5, essentially for the reasons you mention. As for product photography, that also lends itself to focus stacking (although shallow focus remains popular with food, etc).

Quentin

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Woody,
Incredible, I wish I had "way to much gear" and way to much time. :LOL:
Qeestion how do you power your 60mp Hasselblad back?

Steven

Actually I have way too little time - I just carry a camera with me everywhere. I power the back with an Image Bank II. Hasselblad is said to be shipping sometime this month a new battery holder that will ride under the back and power it with a Sony video battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.