The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shelby Lewis

simple snap from poolside. I look like a big dork with my huge camera while the kids swim (I'm usually in the pool with them though). :D

Cheers! Shelby

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Lazy Rainbow - it could hardly be bothered to get over the horizon. :ROTFL:

Palouse, P40+, Alpa STC & SK 47 APO-Digitar.

GrahamWelland

Very cool Graham ... I've never seen a rainbow like that. ( You sure that isn't the mother ship taking off?)
Wayne,

Yes, the rainbow was really quite bizarre! It was 4pm yesterday (5/31) and the sun was actually pretty high in the sky compared to where it normally is to cast a rainbow (that I've ever seen at least). Like most of us, I'm used to that huge semi-circular rainbow across the horizon with a double feinter outer rainbow formed by the sun when it is low on the horizon. Conditions were such that the sky was very dark behind the relatively low rolling Palouse hills, and these were bathed in sunlight and were actually what I had stopped to shoot due to the stark contrast. I got hit by a band of rain which I assume acted like a curtain that formed the rainbow at such a high angle of attack for the sun, It was almost like a flat multi-colored ribbon across the sky. The color rings were very intense, narrow and tightly packed, with the center almost illuminated. In later shots there was a hint of a second outer rainbow but only at the ends. I found a composition with a hill in the middle of the arch and quickly shot a whole bunch of images including some stitched panos with both my 90 HR-W and 47 XL APO-Digitar (plus 645DF/45mm & Nikon D700/16-35VR & 16 Fisheye) - all of which I've yet to process.

Anyway, sorry about the rambling description, but it was a mad changing weather day (you probably got it in Utah too) with other later rainbows that were more 'normal' from the sun lower in the sky. Very thundery with quickly changing light. Maybe other folks have seen this type of low rainbow phenomenon but this was a first for me!

Jack/Victor - thanks! Not much of interest in the foreground other than stubble so I tried to keep it simple. (A very muddy Land Rover was my only other choice at the time :)).

D&A

Graham Wrote>>>" Jack/Victor - thanks! Not much of interest in the foreground other than stubble so I tried to keep it simple. (A very muddy Land Rover was my only other choice at the time )."<<<

Hey, I would have loved to have seen that Land Rover in the Rainbow shot (I'm a fan of them and drive a old one on occasion. :).

As for the rainbow shot, very unique and interesting, especially it's position relative to the sky/ground. Humm...guess those 1960's Spiratone "bargin bin" special effect filters really do work! :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

As for the rainbow shot, very unique and interesting, especially it's position relative to the sky/ground. Humm...guess that 1960's Spiratone bargin bin special effect filters, really do work :)

Dave (D&A)
Hey Dave, if you can find a rainbow filter I'd be ALL OVER IT!! :p :ROTFL:

Analog6

A storm I photographed on the morning of 31 May 2011 hung around grumbling and muttering all day off the coast and moved in closer about 4.30pm. So I set up again and took about 40 long exposures (from 15-25 secs) to get 2 excellent captures.

The first one is the pick as the other one (Night Storm #2) had a strange greenish band down one side and a bit of green cast through it which I’ve processed out as much as possible.

H2/P20/50-110/f11/25secs/ISO100 (31052011 CF037965)

Night Storm #1 by Photography by Odille, on Flickr

Night Storm #2 by Photography by Odille, on Flickr

there are big versions on Flickr if you want to see the original size

Don Libby

Just finished downloading the images from our down and dirty fast trip to the So Rim. I was going to take the day off however could resist processing at least one image. This is near Mather Point, P65, WRS1000 and Schneider 35mm.

This is also my first real trip shooting the P65 and the new wooden grips on the WRS and both are a real hit!

Don

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
A storm I photographed on the morning of 31 May 2011 hung around grumbling and muttering all day off the coast and moved in closer about 4.30pm. So I set up again and took about 40 long exposures (from 15-25 secs) to get 2 excellent captures.

The first one is the pick as the other one (Night Storm #2) had a strange greenish band down one side and a bit of green cast through it which I’ve processed out as much as possible.

H2/P20/50-110/f11/25secs/ISO100 (31052011 CF037965)

Night Storm #1 by Photography by Odille, on Flickr

Night Storm #2 by Photography by Odille, on Flickr

there are big versions on Flickr if you want to see the original size

Sensational images!

Status
Not open for further replies.