The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogopix

Subscriber
Wayne,

Yes, the rainbow was really quite bizarre! It was 4pm yesterday (5/31) and the sun was actually pretty high in the sky compared to where it normally is to cast a rainbow (that I've ever seen at least). Like most of us, I'm used to that huge semi-circular rainbow across the horizon with a double feinter outer rainbow formed by the sun when it is low on the horizon. Conditions were such that the sky was very dark behind the relatively low rolling Palouse hills, and these were bathed in sunlight and were actually what I had stopped to shoot due to the stark contrast. I got hit by a band of rain which I assume acted like a curtain that formed the rainbow at such a high angle of attack for the sun, It was almost like a flat multi-colored ribbon across the sky. The color rings were very intense, narrow and tightly packed, with the center almost illuminated. In later shots there was a hint of a second outer rainbow but only at the ends. :)).
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

We scientists LOVE dead horses (learn a lot about the humans behind them :ROTFL:)

anyway, you missed the secondary RB, but have good examples of at least two supernumery RBs INSIDE the primary.

Victor

D

Deleted member 7792

Canyon de Chelly

From May 6 trip to northern Arizona and southern Utah, two from Canyon de Chelly.

H4D-40, HCD 35-90mm at 60mm, ISO 100, 1/60 sec., f/11

H4D-40, HCD 35-90mm at 75mm, ISO 200, 1/25 sec., f/11

More from the trip here.

mediumcool

Re: Canyon de Chelly

From May 6 trip to northern Arizona and southern Utah, two from Canyon de Chelly.

H4D-40, HCD 35-90mm at 60mm, ISO 100, 1/60 sec., f/11

More from the trip here.
Love the sense of scale in this, and the timelessness. The backlight on the lower buildings separates them from the B/G very well. The shot is at least as good as one I’ve seen from Ansel Adams of the same site.

But how the **** did they get up and down from the higher buildings? Astonishing stuff. :bugeyes:

D

Deleted member 7792

Very nice Joe! :thumbs:
Thanks Jack. I'm still in awe over your Yosemite Tunnel View b&w.

Fabulous images Joe, especially the sense of the 'hugeness' looming cliff in the first one.
Odille, the sense of 'hugeness' is even more apparent when you're there in person, looking up from the canyon floor or down from the canyon rim.

Love the sense of scale in this, and the timelessness. The backlight on the lower buildings separates them from the B/G very well. The shot is at least as good as one I’ve seen from Ansel Adams of the same site.

But how the **** did they get up and down from the higher buildings? Astonishing stuff. :bugeyes:
That's high praise. Thanks very much. The timing to get the backlit ruins was a fortunate byproduct of getting to the site early enough to avoid direct sunlight on the canyon wall. Stuff happens!
The local Navajo guides offer theories about how the Anasazi accessed those dwellings. No one really knows for sure.

F

FabianB

I took this shot during the few sunny hours last weekend. Camera is Mamiya645 with ZD back.

Fabian

mediumcool

I took this shot during the few sunny hours last weekend. Camera is Mamiya645 with ZD back.

Fabian

People slag the ZD, but it does very well in the right conditions, as here (I have an Aptus 22 which uses the same sensor). Wish it was useable at 400!

F

FabianB

Now that's funny :p I'd put the Kodak DCS backs into the same category too: Photographic catnip. :LOL:
Me I'm a happy camper with the ZD :D. The files from Canon/Nikon/Sony always looked a little mushy to me:rolleyes:. Now I found an escape.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks, Jack. I had a great time on the trip and am still enjoying processing all the photos as I find time for it.

Analog6

Well, I dragged the old bod out of bed at 3.30 and drove (so I had the van to sit in) a couple of hundred yards up the road to get a clear view to the west. I set up my camera to do timed interval shots in batches of 10 (while I enjoyed a nice hot coffee). These are images taken 10 mins apart starting at 0426 and finishing at 0535 (yes, my minutes didn't come out exactly because I varied the interval as I went along). As the sun set during totality we didn't get the last phases. I've always wanted to do one of these and am quite pleased with this one.

Taken from terranora, far north coast NSW, looking west (of course) with Hasselblad H2 / PhaseOne P20 back / HC 50-110 zoom @ 110/all at f8

(the watermark is 'cos I linked it from RedBubble)

Status
Not open for further replies.