The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Richardson

Certainly your photos are a good argument for film. I talk about this regularly, but I don't want to harp on it, as I know there are a lot of digital users here, but film is still a superb choice for medium format. It is a more sensible choice in most cases too, unless you have a big enough commercial or business workflow to justify the expenses of medium format digital. Of course, if you just WANT medium format digital, that is completely fine too. I nearly went over to digital, but I realized that for what I want to do, film is fine, and in some ways better (my main use of medium format is for print sales, and black and white darkroom prints are still preferred by many collectors and galleries). Please don't take this as a criticism as medium format digital, but rather a praise of medium format film -- it still trounces 35mm film and digital (at least by my criteria) when used wisely.

Stuart Richardson

Anyway, here is a shot that I just scanned from the archives...it was with a 203FE and the 110/2 I believe. The sRGB and tiny web jpeg can't really get the color and light of the original...oh well.

bensonga

Stuart....beautiful shot....even in a jpg for the Web. I like the subtle colors and lighting.

Film or digital capture, either one works for me. The gearhead in me enjoys reading about and seeing results from all the new digital backs etc, but most of it is beyond my means. The biggest plus for me was moving to a digital workflow, from image to print. I was never that good at print making in the darkroom, but I've gotten pretty good results with digital printing. Two of my black and white inkjet prints have been selected for the Alaska Rarefied Light photography exhibit in the past two years. Here's one of them.....scanned from film, of course.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

bensonga

Gary,
Stellar images!
Any special technique for B&W in CS3?
Billy
Thanks! No, I'm afraid my workflow is pretty standard and simple. Adjusting levels, Channel Mixer for converting color to BW, a little burning and dodging on rare occassions, etc. I haven't changed my basic workflow very much since I first started with Photoshop 6 many years ago. I know there are alot of things I could be doing to improve the images, but I haven't gotten there yet.

I've been participating in a monthly digital B&W print exchange for the last 5+ years (actually, I'm now the coordinator of the exchange...Yahoo Digital BW Print Exchange group, if anyone is interested). Each participant (and they come from all over the world) includes a data sheet with their print that has pertinent details about their subject, equipment, inkset, paper, technique & workflow etc. I'm always struck by how sophisticated and in depth some of the participant's workflows have become. There are alot of amazing software tools out there which some folks are using also. I've just stuck with the basics and hence, only scratched the surface of what can be done to produce an outstanding image and print.

Here is the other image/print that was selected for the Alaska Rarefied Light juried photography exhibit (in 2006).

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

bensonga

A few shots with either a CFV on a V camera or a H camera: 3 of them were for jobs

By the way....it was Marc's review of the Hasselblad CFV (I think I saw it on the HasselbladInfo.com site) and his CFV images that first got me to thinking about MF digital. I had just acquired my first Hasselblad kit (the 501CM and 3 lenses) a month or so before seeing his review of the CFV....and of course, that triggered the gearhead's desire in me for more and better equipment. :D

Never mind that I had FINALLY been able to afford the Hasselblad system I always dreamed of owning some day (thanks to the sharp depreciation in value of used medium format film cameras and lenses) or that I already had a pile of excellent and underutilized photo equipment sitting in my closet. Didn't matter....the IQ of his images with the CFV (as seen in the ones he posted earlier in this thread also) were stunning. That image of the Harley-Davidson motor is incredible (I can appreciate it, even though I'm not a HD rider....I lean more towards BMW & Ducati motorcycles).

Yes, we can get great results from MF film and a good scanner....and it's certainly the less expensive route (by far), but I've still got my heart set on a new 503CWD-II kit, with that awesome 40 mm CFE IF lens!

It looks so good......I can almost taste it!!! :D:D

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

fotografz

Stuart....beautiful shot....even in a jpg for the Web. I like the subtle colors and lighting.

Film or digital capture, either one works for me. The gearhead in me enjoys reading about and seeing results from all the new digital backs etc, but most of it is beyond my means. The biggest plus for me was moving to a digital workflow, from image to print. I was never that good at print making in the darkroom, but I've gotten pretty good results with digital printing. Two of my black and white inkjet prints have been selected for the Alaska Rarefied Light photography exhibit in the past two years. Here's one of them.....scanned from film, of course.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska
Damned, that's nice. Film still rocks!

robmac

Gary - very nice work. Like yourself I keep thinking of the Hassy (or Mamiya) entry 'kits', but coming from a different entry point - a 1Ds2 (using alternate glass) vs. an existing MF setup.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The following are a couple of train pictures from the spring.

All done with H3DII-39 and 80HC.

Train and Grain

Last edited:

docmoore

Old Caboose

Last edited:

docmoore

Steam Engine

Bob

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Here's just another random one...I am just going back through the archives to see the ones I have missed. I believe it was the 40mm Schneider on the 6008af and the 645 back.

This is the mamiya 7 and 43mm, though I may have posted this...I do not remember.

bensonga

Bob....those are spectacular! Great images from that camera.

I love old trains and railway yards. My father worked for the Milwaukee Railroad for 30+ years and I have many memories of hanging out at the train station in Minneapolis with him.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

woodyspedden

Here's just another random one...I am just going back through the archives to see the ones I have missed. I believe it was the 40mm Schneider on the 6008af and the 645 back.

This is the mamiya 7 and 43mm, though I may have posted this...I do not remember.

Such a great combination and the 43mm is a very special lens imho.

Woody

docmoore

Gary,

Thank you.

I took a year off in undergraduate school and worked on the railroad...
as a brakeman for the Kansas City Southern/Milwaukee Road in Kansas
City...bottom of the call board so a lot of long nights.

I too love the sense of drama and power that trains and stations convey.
Truly a different era.

Regards,

Bob

jlm

Workshop Member
nice shots, guys! i'm getting inspired to dig out some old MF and LF b/w negs and scan them using my epson 700.

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Woody -- the 43mm Mamiya is pretty much without peer as far as I am concerned. Too bad that its design precludes it from being used on Mamiya's SLRs (or anyone else's for that matter), but I suppose that is what makes it so fantastic.

John -- please do dig out some negs and share them. It is a good day for it...I am just sitting here with a fan under the desk doing some printing and scanning. It is about 20 degrees too hot outside for me today.

jlm

Workshop Member
stuart: i stopped shooting around 10:30 this am, sweating like a pig. good ol' NYC summer, eh?

bensonga

While we're on the subject of trains.....here the business end of a Alaska Railroad rotary snow plow. Mamiya C220, 80mm lens, Epson 2450 scanner.

Not even half as good as Bob's H3DII-39 images.

Gary

Last edited:

docmoore

Gary,

That is a great picture...film stands tall against digital. If only one did not have to listen to the sweet slow sound of the scanner.

I cannot imagine what would happen if that plow met a Caribou. Hate to be the one assigned to cleanup!

I will try to pull together some 67s scans later this weekend ... I need to look for the DVDs in the safe. I bought a blueray burner a couple of months ago but have not even started the process of moving files to the larger disks. Extensis Portfolio is in the application folder but I am waiting for monsoon season to start that process. Dallas does not get many monsoons so it may be a while.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.