The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghoonk

This isn't the droid you're looking for - shot at ISO400, f4, 1/400s, 210mm/4 ULD lens, AFD II with Aptus 65S MFDB

I've been struggling to get sharp and noise-free images with this setup. ISO400 is pretty bad, and cleaning it up with NoiseNinja results in images coming out a bit soft. A huge challenge when shooting in evenings, since the best results seem to come from f8 and smaller, at speeds faster than 1/400 handheld.

100% crops aren't pin-sharp, so either my technique needs improvement, or my expectations are warped and I should expect some softness at 100%...

If anyone has tips on how I can improve image sharpness, or reset my expectations ("sharpness on a 210 lens at 1/125? are you crazy"), that'd be great :)

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Lavender has come and gone again in Mona, Utah. Actually took a couple of small workshops down for evening shoots this year. This is my favorite from this year. DF with IQ180, 105-210 at 105, 1/13th at f/12 ISO 50
Wayne, great capture!

Lloyd

Hi everyone

I just got into the world of digital MF, and have been shooting with an AFD II with Aptus 65S back for the last 2 weeks or so.

I'm based out of Dubai and have been active in motorsport photography and concert photography, shooting with a Nikon D3s and a D700 FF digital system. I've come to love MF since I picked up a 500CM months ago, and have found my way into a MFDBs, so here are a couple of shots from recent photowalks

A local Emirati gentleman who was sitting along a street in Satwa in the old part of Dubai. Most gracious of him to let me take his pic. ISO400, 1/320s, f4, 210mm ULD

There's always time for prayer

This one was shot at the Deira Creek wharfage. A very friendly and sporting gentleman who was all too willing to have us capture him in his natural environment ;) ISO400, 1/140s, f3.6, 150mm lens. The original image was so sharp that I could tell the time on his watch

Welcome to the forum. Excellent work... these, in particular, struck me. Your "this isn't the droid you're looking for" cracked me up. Well seen. Looking forward to more!

Hope you get the noise issue sorted out.

ghoonk

Hey, thanks for the encouragement! :)

2 weeks into the game, and I've got more bokeh/DOF than I can handle. Never imagined I'd have to shoot at f8, never happened with my FF systems, but man, MF is a whole different game altogether. Wish I could get VR lenses for this thing sometimes

As for noise, well, I guess I shouldn't shoot at ISO400 and stick to ISO50/100. I learned why these backs are so popular with fashion photographers - at ISO50, 1/125s sync speed, I can, at a reasonable time of the day, suppress and control ambient light and working together with my wireless flash triggers, get some really impressive fashion shots. I really need to use this for what it was designed for, and maybe revert to the D3s for evening street work, or deliberately get a grainier look for that 'film look' :)

Shashin

I've been struggling to get sharp and noise-free images with this setup. ISO400 is pretty bad, and cleaning it up with NoiseNinja results in images coming out a bit soft. A huge challenge when shooting in evenings, since the best results seem to come from f8 and smaller, at speeds faster than 1/400 handheld.

100% crops aren't pin-sharp, so either my technique needs improvement, or my expectations are warped and I should expect some softness at 100%...

If anyone has tips on how I can improve image sharpness, or reset my expectations ("sharpness on a 210 lens at 1/125? are you crazy"), that'd be great :)
Noise I can't help you with--some backs are noisier than others. I went with a Pentax 645D and I have no trouble shooting up to 1600 ISO.

One problem with 100% viewing is that is not a condition anyone will view your work either printed or on the web--both sharpness and depth of field are not accurately represented. Print a few out large and see how you feel.

Personally, I have much more of a problem with longer focal lengths. I can get a sharp image from my 120mm lens at 1/125, but I need to pay attention. I really need to use that lens at 1/250 if I am winging it.

My normal to wide focal lengths are far easier. Since this is digital, you can practice at home--I had to figure out a stable way of holding my camera vertically at long shutter speeds. I figured out that handholding this camera was not much different than my other cameras.

It is nice to see MFD used for street photography--I really enjoy your portraiture. Don't get overly hung up on technical perfection, especially at 100%. Sometimes I think the abbreviation for Medium Format Digital is OCD.

ghoonk

Oh, I'm OCD by nature, so that makes it worse :S I get this happy tingle when I can count eyelashes from a 100 paces :D

I'm starting to think that MFDBs aren't the best choice for street, but I'm willing to experiment and see what works because street work is so much richer (emotions, events, expressions - the 3 'e's of a good photo in my book) to capture, and the detail and colours from an MFDB (or an MF system, period) bring these moments to life.

Like you, I'm starting to realize that I need to go 1/(2 x focal length) to get a sharp image, hence a 120mm lens should be shot at 1/250 to be 'good'. This should get even more interesting since I might be able to try shooting in Shutter priority at 1/300 with a 150mm lens and come out decent at the set ISO.

My technique for handholding is quite tight - i tuck my left arm close to my body and take a wide stance, trying to mimic a tripod. Inhale, then slowly squeeze the release slowly on the exhale.

@graham - will drop you a PM, we should catch up!

jlm

Workshop Member
family, viewing the city, 8am 70 rodie

to id a few buildings, from the south (left)

cranes are on top of new freedom tower, light rectangle 9I THINK) is bldg 7, only one left from trade tower set, copper patina top is Woolworth, shiny one is Gehry, southbridge towers )condo) I live in the tiny one to the right. just barely visible above the construction, then city hall, then the verizon monolith, then of course the brooklyn bridge, manhattan tower

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
auto giga pano, 3 shots with 70mm, rotation shots. new Gerhy bldg, and freedom tower way back to the left

Last edited:

ghoonk

jim, were these shot handheld or on a tripod? Could you share the EXIF info and which back you're using? I'm guessing you're shooting on a 645DF?

Status
Not open for further replies.