The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog6

One from the H2 & P20 with HC 80mm f2.8. I have fusticated madly over where to crop this so am including the original image from ACR (WB to shade and contrast to 35) and the finished image.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
PHP:
One from the H2 & P20 with HC 80mm f2.8. I have fusticated madly over where to crop this so am including the original image from ACR (WB to shade and contrast to 35) and the finished image.
Question where is the water flowing. Down , always give movement space to go. We normally would call that negative space. Try it

rga

It seems to me that, in the original, you have a very narrow field of focus; the foreground and the background are not in focus. So your crop does put the foreground in focus, which to me is really important, but, as has been said, there is little negative space on the right for the water to "flow" into.
IMHO,
Bob

Analog6

Thanks, Guy & Bob - that OOF foreground was my dilemma - should I include it or cut it. I eventually did cut it, as you can see, but I'll try another edit

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Wow! I really appreciate all those positive comments on "Abandoned". Thank you all.

(I'm treating the IQ180 like I used to shoot 4 by 5, very slow and contemplative.)

Bill

mvirtue

Phase 645AF w/Leaf Aptus-II 7 Mamiya 55-110.
From a trip at the end of August to Fort Stevens State Park Astoria/Seaside Oregon

Alone

A man and his dog

rga

Thanks, Guy & Bob - that OOF foreground was my dilemma - should I include it or cut it. I eventually did cut it, as you can see, but I'll try another edit
Personally I think it's important in MOST situations that the foreground be in focus. That's how we normally see things. If it's OOF, it confuses me and makes it difficult to look at comfortably. Of course if there is a specific object you want the view to see and have only that in focus, blurring the foreground can work really well.

With your image I think you've done about as well as can be done. If there is anyway to extend it on the right to get some space between the specular highlights of the water and the edge, that would be great. I suspect if you do that, the OOF foreground may begin to appear, but it might work with just a little OOF. Certainly worth a try.

Keep 'em coming!
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.