The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuau

Workshop Member
Ed,
Great images :thumbs:

Wayne, your the man quite a hike down there.
I think Guy and Jack should do a Workshop down there :ROTFL:

rem

Céline in front of her print on Canvas (Camera was the D1x or D2x) after 10 years. From Girl to women. H4d-40/120mm.
rem

D

Deleted member 7792

Ed,

The lighthouse images are gorgeous! The Cape Cod lighthouse photo is the best I've seen of that scene. Wonderful light in all three you've posted.

Joe

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wayne, your the man quite a hike down there.
I think Guy and Jack should do a Workshop down there :ROTFL:
If you've ever done the hike, you'll understand why we don't take a group in there! Seriously, the liability exposure prevents it. It is hard work, you have to slog the river, some sections nearly waist-deep, and it's all upstream for about 4 miles -- so you need to be in shape. (The downstream return is relatively easy.) You can enter from above, but there is a section you need to rope down, so it requires some basic rock climbing gear and expertise. On the upside, you get images that most folks never will. Fall when the aspens turn is the best time IMHO, though there are not many trees in the gorge area itself -- but the water and Sun are lower and the light is quite nice. I pack my gear in kayaking "dry bags" and in turn put those in a proper trekking back-pack with support -- it is easy to fall in that little river... Boots with felt creeper soles help grip the slick river rocks, and a wading staff can provide added stability. It's a worthwhile excursion, but do it with a buddy or two for safety and carry some emergency gear for an unplanned overnight.

Christopher

Finally I have found some time to post some stuff. Or lets say I still don't hav any time, way to busy reworking my whole website, but I wanted to post a few shots I finally edited.

Canon 5D - 16 Images stitched at 100mm (hope you will forgive me the fact that the first two are not MF, but than again, they kinda are at that resolution ;-))

Canon 5DII - 28 Images stitched at 120mm

Linhof Techno - HR-W 40mm - P65

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
If you've ever done the hike, you'll understand why we don't take a group in there! Seriously, the liability exposure prevents it. It is hard work, you have to slog the river, some sections nearly waist-deep, and it's all upstream for about 4 miles -- so you need to be in shape. (The downstream return is relatively easy.) You can enter from above, but there is a section you need to rope down, so it requires some basic rock climbing gear and expertise. On the upside, you get images that most folks never will. Fall when the aspens turn is the best time IMHO, though there are not many trees in the gorge area itself -- but the water and Sun are lower and the light is quite nice. I pack my gear in kayaking "dry bags" and in turn put those in a proper trekking back-pack with support -- it is easy to fall in that little river... Boots with felt creeper soles help grip the slick river rocks, and a wading staff can provide added stability. It's a worthwhile excursion, but do it with a buddy or two for safety and carry some emergency gear for an unplanned overnight.
I'd love to participate in a getDPI workshop there, but as Jack mentioned it's a little challenging. What I liked most about the getDPI Grand Canyon trip was the small group where you really could get to know everyone so Zions might be OK, but as Jack mentioned 4 of the best parts of Zions (Subway, Angel's Landing, Emerald Pools and Narrows) requires you do be fit (the narrows hike is the least strenuous).
Protecting equipment is important, there are sections where I was chest deep. When we went water flows measured at 70 cfs. Recent rains made the water cloudy ... disappointing but still some great stuff. I assume it gets quite a bit harder as the flow increases and at 140 the park closes the trail. (a few days after my hike the flows reached almost 900 for brief periods of times due to local thunderstorms and it can peak as high as 3000 during spring runoff or serious storms.) Hiking from the bottom up isn't too bad as long as the water flows are 50-80, you have good shoes (you can rent them locally) and don't mind getting very wet. Rent a wooden pole ... it helps a lot.

i think water flows below 50 in October/1st week of Nov. might offer the best opportunity for good shots, with areas where the rocks will show through the water and as Jack mentioned the light is lower and some fall colors. Going to try it again in a few weeks ... making sure there is no area rain for 5 or 6 days before.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'd love to participate in a getDPI workshop there, but as Jack mentioned it's a little challenging. What I liked most about the getDPI Grand Canyon trip was the small group where you really could get to know everyone so Zions might be OK, but as Jack mentioned 4 of the best parts of Zions (Subway, Angel's Landing, Emerald Pools and Narrows) requires you do be fit (the narrows hike is the least strenuous).
Protecting equipment is important, there are sections where I was chest deep. When we went water flows measured at 70 cfs. Recent rains made the water cloudy ... disappointing but still some great stuff. I assume it gets quite a bit harder as the flow increases and at 140 the park closes the trail. (a few days after my hike the flows reached almost 900 for brief periods of times due to local thunderstorms and it can peak as high as 3000 during spring runoff or serious storms.) Hiking from the bottom up isn't too bad as long as the water flows are 50-80, you have good shoes (you can rent them locally) and don't mind getting very wet. Rent a wooden pole ... it helps a lot.

i think water flows below 50 in October/1st week of Nov. might offer the best opportunity for good shots, with areas where the rocks will show through the water and as Jack mentioned the light is lower and some fall colors. Going to try it again in a few weeks ... making sure there is no area rain for 5 or 6 days before.
Mexico anyone. LOL

macoberly

I like #3 a lot. Where was the shot taken?

M>

Finally I have found some time to post some stuff. Or lets say I still don't hav any time, way to busy reworking my whole website, but I wanted to post a few shots I finally edited.

Canon 5D - 16 Images stitched at 100mm (hope you will forgive me the fact that the first two are not MF, but than again, they kinda are at that resolution ;-))

Canon 5DII - 28 Images stitched at 120mm

Linhof Techno - HR-W 40mm - P65

Status
Not open for further replies.