The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsjanik

Want back to Acadia to shoot the sunrise from Cadillac Mountain. Unfortunately the peak was in the clouds so I hurried down to otter cliffs. Shot waves until this one came in and soaked me.

Cambo RS, IQ180, HR32, two shot stitch

Wow, lots of great images and I especially like this one. How did you stitch the wave? Ed, if you don't live on the East Coast, perhaps you should consider moving there. One terrific shot after another!

Tom

tsjanik

I hate to put this right after Ed's great shot, but I would like some advice from the collective skill of members of this thread. What's wrong with these shots?! I took them last evening and it's the sort of image I like, but this one fall flat and I don't really know why. No true point of interest? I know they need more post work, but it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Thanks for any ideas,

Tom

Untitled_Panorama22 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Untitled_Panorama23 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
In the first one I think that the horizon too evenly divides the frame which makes it look static and without focus.
There is also no real subject at the golden mean position on the left where it would belong.
It does not take much, crashing wave, a pattern of light (or I would use a silhouette of a nice young lady).

The second one has as the subject the smell of the sea, the freshening breeze coming off the water and the rapid change of the light; none of which are actually in the image.
It is not clear what your intent is with the image is it the sky or the rocks?
Crop a version like this maybe?

View attachment 49304
-bob

Shashin

Tom, sometime you can do everything right, and for one reason or another, the image is just not there. Mostly I find it is the light. I find over time the light dictates the images I make rather than the scene, if that makes sense.

tsjanik

Tom, sometime you can do everything right, and for one reason or another, the image is just not there. Mostly I find it is the light. I find over time the light dictates the images I make rather than the scene, if that makes sense.
...It is not clear what your intent is with the image is it the sky or the rocks?....
View attachment 49304
-bob
Thanks fellows. It was the light, or lack thereof. I think you nailed it Bob, I saw the cloud cover and clear horizon and anticipated some spectacular red clouds right after sunset. They never really materialized, but I keep my intent on getting the clouds nonetheless.

Tom

S

Shelby Lewis

wonderful stuff everyone!

An old image (while I'm waiting on my adapter plate for my RZ, I have no camera to shoot with :()... but I decided to give the History Brush technique described in the latest article at LuLa a shot to try to give a pretty flat shot a bit more dimension.

My first attempt is a bit heavy handed in places, but I think it's a technique I'd like to explore further.

Aptus II-6, Mamiya 80/2.8D

etrump

Reds from this fall in Utah certainly seem better than I remember for some time. They are quickly fading, and the aspens are coming on strong. Here's another one I like. Phase DF/IQ180, 75-150 at 135, 1 sec at f/11, ISO 200. (Not quite done with post on this shot, still a few things to touch up before printing).

You're killing me with this awesome color Wayne. I'm in the NE and hopefully the color will start popping with the cooler weather this week. The hurricane has made for about two weeks of wet warm weather that is rotting anything early and putting everything else on hold.

I especially love this image, is it polarized?

I have been after something similar: vibrant red, white aspen or birch trunks with rich greens to complete the feel for years and it just hasn't happened - yet! ;)

etrump

I hate to put this right after Ed's great shot, but I would like some advice from the collective skill of members of this thread. What's wrong with these shots?! I took them last evening and it's the sort of image I like, but this one fall flat and I don't really know why. No true point of interest? I know they need more post work, but it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Thanks for any ideas,

Tom

Tom,

I'm pretty much in line with Bob's comments (especially on the second image) but sometimes it just doesn't happen for us. I've been cruising around New England for the past week and got zip. The week before I got several good looks but only frustration the past week.

The top image has some potential but it is a little too static with the horizon and red clouds smack in the middle of the image. Moody light and sky but the foreground just isn't working. There needs to be lines in the foreground shapes to help the composition which just isn't there and the cliff and silhouette foliage is stealing interest from the sky.

I might have tried getting lower and using a longer shutter speed to isolate the rocks in the foreground from the water. A blend or hard edge ND would help improve the detail in the foreground as well. Probably advisable to move the sun or red clouds away from dead center.

Shashin

I'm in the NE and hopefully the color will start popping with the cooler weather this week. The hurricane has made for about two weeks of wet warm weather that is rotting anything early and putting everything else on hold.
Not sure where you are, but the color should be in the mountains and you can follow it down to the coast as the season progresses. If you are still in Maine, head to Western Maine along the NH border or North to the Moosehead lake area. You can go from Rangeley to the coast in a day by car.

etrump

wonderful stuff everyone!

An old image (while I'm waiting on my adapter plate for my RZ, I have no camera to shoot with :()... but I decided to give the History Brush technique described in the latest article at LuLa a shot to try to give a pretty flat shot a bit more dimension.

My first attempt is a bit heavy handed in places, but I think it's a technique I'd like to explore further.

Aptus II-6, Mamiya 80/2.8D

I have been a fan of George's work for several years. He is a master.

I don't see anything that looks heavy handed here. It is a wonderful image and I love the ambiance. I do see this as a square crop image if there ever was one.

etrump

Not sure where you are, but the color should be in the mountains and you can follow it down to the coast as the season progresses. If you are still in Maine, head to Western Maine along the NH border or North to the Moosehead lake area. You can go from Rangeley to the coast in a day by car.
Thanks, that's sort of the plan. I'll be cruising the green and white mountains for the next week and then heading that way.

etrump

Wow, lots of great images and I especially like this one. How did you stitch the wave? Ed, if you don't live on the East Coast, perhaps you should consider moving there. One terrific shot after another!

Tom
Thanks for the kind words Tom. I'm a hillbilly from Arkansas but enjoying an extended stay in the area. The wave is not stitched, the frames overlap about a third and is custom stitched to preserve the wave. The stitch edge at the waterline is just right of the wave. I have a dozen different waves to choose from. :D

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
You're killing me with this awesome color Wayne. I'm in the NE and hopefully the color will start popping with the cooler weather this week. The hurricane has made for about two weeks of wet warm weather that is rotting anything early and putting everything else on hold.

I especially love this image, is it polarized?

I have been after something similar: vibrant red, white aspen or birch trunks with rich greens to complete the feel for years and it just hasn't happened - yet! ;)
Not polarized, just really late light with that luminescent quality to it. Luckily there was no wind.

jecxz

Very nice! Well done.

Kind regards,
Derek

Want back to Acadia to shoot the sunrise from
Cadillac Mountain. Unfortunately the peak was in the clouds so I hurried down to otter cliffs. Shot waves until this one came in and soaked me.

Cambo RS, IQ180, HR32, two shot stitch

2jbourret

Wow! Many, many high caliber images posted here since I last visited just a few days ago. Wish I had something to add, but nothing comes close. Better get to work!

2jbourret

Thanks for the kind words Tom. I'm a hillbilly from Arkansas but enjoying an extended stay in the area. The wave is not stitched, the frames overlap about a third and is custom stitched to preserve the wave. The stitch edge at the waterline is just right of the wave. I have a dozen different waves to choose from. :D
Ed, you must be a hillbilly with a trust fund. How can you visit so many great places in a year, for 'extended' periods of time, and tend to a gallery, too? I'm envious!

bensonga

It's been over a year since I fired up the 503CWD......I need to get out with the CFV-16 more often.

Gary

CFV-16 II and 40mm CFE IF lens.

Graham Mitchell

touché :LOL:

(for people who didn't get it the first time, I posted some shots of Tareq with his Hasselblad, and he just posted photos of me, crop included)

Status
Not open for further replies.