The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuau

Workshop Member
Couple more fall colors, 2 in B&W and 2 in color,
I am still having a hard time getting good color off my Leaf Aptus II 7 back using C1. Hmmm. I must be doing something wrong.

Steven

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here's one from our recent New Hampshire workshop. This is a single IQ180 image, one early AM capture that had no highlight or shadow clipping, about 2 seconds at f11 ISO 35. It was processed twice in C1, once pushed +1.5 stops to pump the foreground, then a second at -.5 stops to deepen the morning sky. These were then blended in CS to impart the "custom split ND filter" effect I mentioned in my tech talk. I also added a skosh of sunrise gradient to enhance the effect. Anyway, here is the blended result. And yes, it was a supremely cold morning!:

etrump

Excellent Jack - I love the feel!

This morning in the Green Mountain National Forest. Cambo RS, IQ180, SK 72, ISO 35:

D

das_schlechte_gewissen

This morning in the Green Mountain National Forest. Cambo RS, IQ180, SK 72, ISO 35:

This picture is perfect in my eyes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

S

Shelby Lewis

You know what really impresses me about lots of these recent posts (not that my opinion matters)?... it's that you guys seem to be able to keep your mind's eye focussed on the original tonal buildup of the original scene.

I really have to fight the tendency to try and maximize contrast and the histogram in my images... yet looking at some of these recent images (Ed, Jack, Steven), I get a sense that the if there was no "black black" or "white white" in the scene, you guys don't try to introduce it in your files in post. The tonal transitions seem to be very important and much is done to keep this delicateness intact. Steven, you've succeeded as well with a beautiful use of contrast in your images. They punch a bit harder but are still so elegant.

It makes for images that have wonderful ambiance... and they really seem to stand out from the images on many image sharing sites that have overly trumped up contrast and color (which isn't bad in and of itself if that's the artist's intent). I guess the word that comes to mind is nuance.

My comment is one of congratulatory tone, not one of comparison. Great work gentlemen!

Congrats,
Shelby

Good find and even better capture, Ed. It was great meeting you at Joe Perry's farm on Cloudland Road. The colors in VT are really starting to come in - too bad I have to leave now.

hcubell

Good find and even better capture, Ed. It was great meeting you at Joe Perry's farm on Cloudland Road. The colors in VT are really starting to come in - too bad I have to leave now.
I understand that Mr. Perry, after he bought the iconic Sleepy Hollow farm, trashed the scene by installing an electronic security fence in front of the farmhouse. True?

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Tioga Pass, Yosemite National Park
Hasselblad H4D-40 with HCD 28mm
As a new member, I've learnt tremendously in the past few weeks.
Thank you very much for sharing your breathtaking pictures and experiences.
Pramote

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Steven, thanks Ed!

Shelby, thank you too. I actually do try to ensure some solid black, just not a lot of it. I do not typically force white however.

Ed, that last photo is outstanding --- love the tonality, fog and mountain reflection in the water :thumbs:

mediumcool

A thought:

it would be interesting to see how this would look with the string of rocks in the foreground *clarity-d* a bit. This would give more separation through diffusion, as is already happening with the middle-distance island copse against the far distant background.

Would leave the water alone, as it has a nice softness. Agree with Shelby—not everything has to have a chocolate box look.

Last edited:

tsjanik

Taken a liberty. Hope it’s OK with the OP.
No problem. Better, but this shot was lesson for me to be adaptable. I hiked about 30 minutes to the spot with the expectation that the clouds would be spectacular when hit by the sun. Never happened and yet I left the clouds as the major point of interest in the shot.

Couple more fall colors, 2 in B&W and 2 in color,
I am still having a hard time getting good color off my Leaf Aptus II 7 back using C1. Hmmm. I must be doing something wrong.

Steven

Love the last one.

Hello guys! Learning to photograph wildlife using medium format.
Phase DF + Leaf Aptus ii 10 + Mamiya 300mm APO f 4.5
Taken in the very remote part of Kamchatka:

Wow!! Learning? I can't wait to see your shots when you know what you're doing! 300mm isn't very far away.

Tom

tsjanik

Adirondacks. View of the High Peaks region, taken on Sunday. Four exposure stitch. 645D, 200mm FA. Crop shows some detail seen in a large print.

Tom

etrump

A thought:

it would be interesting to see how this would look with the string of rocks in the foreground *clarity-d* a bit. This would give more separation through diffusion, as is already happening with the middle-distance island copse against the far distant background.

Would leave the water alone, as it has a nice softness. Agree with Shelby—not everything has to have a chocolate box look.
That is an excellent idea, I will give it a try. I actually took the image with my SK150 (mistakenly stated it was the 72L) so there was a fair amount of fog between my location and the foreground rocks. The selective local contrast could add a little more depth to the image which would offset the compression of the long lens.

Thanks ALL for the compliments.

etrump

I really have to fight the tendency to try and maximize contrast and the histogram in my images... yet looking at some of these recent images (Ed, Jack, Steven), I get a sense that the if there was no "black black" or "white white" in the scene, you guys don't try to introduce it in your files in post

My comment is one of congratulatory tone, not one of comparison. Great work gentlemen!

Congrats,
Shelby
Thank you Shelby.

Your observation is something I think most of us learn at some point in our development. Personal style and vision aside, we do the subject an injustice by trying to make it something it wasn't.

The generic workflow we are taught to "enhance" our images might be partially to blame. If you look at thumbnails of some portfolios, the tonalities and saturation of all images start looking very generic.

THUD -- just fell off my soap box. :D

mediumcool

That is an excellent idea, I will give it a try. I actually took the image with my SK150 (mistakenly stated it was the 72L) so there was a fair amount of fog between my location and the foreground rocks.
Ah, that explains it! If wide, the lens would have been quite close to the rocks.

The selective local contrast could add a little more depth to the image which would offset the compression of the long lens.
That’s the result I would like to see.

etrump

Finally some color just as I'm leaving Vermont. IQ180, Cambo RS, SK 150mm:

Promised Land State Park near Scranton, PA. IQ180, Cambo RS, SK 72mm (2 shot stitch):

Status
Not open for further replies.