The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeiss

This is my first image in this thread, and all the images posted here are tough acts to follow, so go easy on me... :D

It's just a simple portrait of my friend. I used one Vivitar 285HV with a shoot through umbrella to the camera's right.

Mamiya 645 AFD + ZD Back, 150mm f3.5 N

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This is my first image in this thread, and all the images posted here are tough acts to follow, so go easy on me... :D

It's just a simple portrait of my friend. I used one Vivitar 285HV with a shoot through umbrella to the camera's right.

Mamiya 645 AFD + ZD Back, 150mm f3.5 N
So here is me going hard on you instead --- GREAT first image! :ROTFL: Seriously, you nailed it. THe 150/3.5 is an unsung hero in the Mamiya lineup. It might as well be a white APO lens it is so sharp. At current prices it is the lens bargain of the decade, and you used it to maximum effect. I am curious at what aperture you shot -- if I had to guess, I'd say f4? Again, great job!

homeiss

So here is me going hard on you instead --- GREAT first image! :ROTFL: Seriously, you nailed it. THe 150/3.5 is an unsung hero in the Mamiya lineup. It might as well be a white APO lens it is so sharp. At current prices it is the lens bargain of the decade, and you used it to maximum effect. I am curious at what aperture you shot -- if I had to guess, I'd say f4? Again, great job!
Thanks Jack! :eek: I agree about the 150/3.5, it is one of the best deals around. I picked mine up for a mere $95! I actually am wondering myself what aperture it is, I can't recall, but I think you might be right about f4. Thanks again.

djonesii

Workshop Member
Thanks Jack! :eek: I agree about the 150/3.5, it is one of the best deals around. I picked mine up for a mere $95! I actually am wondering myself what aperture it is, I can't recall, but I think you might be right about f4. Thanks again.
I didn't get mine for that little, but I use it quite a bit when shooting ..... The ability to control DOF with MF ( and by extension MFDB ) is just a joy to work with. My back up system is now Micro 4/3rds, and that is one of the things that I miss.

Dave

P. Chong

This afternoon in Beijing's Temple of Heaven. 5 panel stitch, H3d-39 with HC 50-110 at 50mm.

Very strong sunlight...harsh. But for a day out, magnificent...17C, slight wind, sun out. Ah...

WWLEE

The water in this pool is deep, but I'm gonna jump in.....!

Following are a few from NY State's Adirondacks about two weeks ago. The color up there wasn't so great this year, and I think I was about a week past peak colors, but these scenes were nice. Other folks' photos in this forum for other parts of the Northeast look more colorful than what I witnessed; Kudos to all, some gorgeous photos! Made me jealous, but inspired me, too!

www.williamlee.com

WWLEE

p.s. Re the above, all three pics are from an IQ180 on Phase One 645DF body. The above image was ISO 35, f/16, 80mm lens, 3 secs.

WWLEE

And now for something completely different...
Here is a 5-shot panorama taken about 20 minutes after sunset in Weehawken, NJ looking across at 42nd Street (roughly in the center of the picture) in Manhattan. This was on a P65+ back with Phase One 645DF body. As you can imagine, this panorama resulted in a rather large file (picture the little, colorful, spinning ball on a Mac as it labors away trying to process it!). I cropped to a 4 x 1 ratio. Without interpolation, the native file yields an image of 18" x 72" at 360 ppi..... it's huge and loaded with detail.

Images taken at ISO 100, 6 secs, f/9, 150mm lens.

www.williamlee.com

WWLEE

Any thoughts on cropping off the left 25% or so of the image to get it down to a 3 x 1 ratio from its present 4 x 1?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Will,

I like the twin towers on the LH side as they add interest to the image, so if I cropped to 3:1, I'd take it from the RH edge -- but frankly, I would leave it at 4:1 and not crop it at all. What I would do is process two versions, one pumping up the foreground a little, and another pumping up the sky a lot, then blend them for a more balanced total image.

I like your road shot a lot too!

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
Love the Temple of Heaven. Two years ago I managed to shoot it with no people (very hard to do).

WWLee-All of your images are GREAT. Thanks for sharing.

Homeiss-Perfection.

jerome

Following are a few from NY State's Adirondacks about two weeks ago. The color up there wasn't so great this year, and I think I was about a week past peak colors, but these scenes were nice. Other folks' photos in this forum for other parts of the Northeast look more colorful than what I witnessed; Kudos to all, some gorgeous photos! Made me jealous, but inspired me, too!

www.williamlee.com
I like this Road !

etrump

www.williamlee.com
This is pretty nice color William. It was a tough year for color in all of the NE. I did much better in West Virginia.

Love the barn piece as well.

WWLEE

Thanks, Jack, for your suggestion on processing the NYC scene. On further reflection, you're right, the twin towers to the left balance the image and should remain, so I'll stick with the 4 x 1 ratio. I'll take a stab at processing the water and sky as suggested, too, but I kind of like the "moodiness" and color as it looks now. This was taken 20 minutes after sunset, so it was getting quite dark and the colors were incredibly rich, so the image is pretty close to my recollection of how it looked that night.

Just a fun thing to point out as it adds scale to a big scene: That is the aircraft carrier "Intrepid" on the dock just left of center. It is tiny here but can be seen quite well in a larger version.

Ed, I've enjoyed your photos from your 'round the NorthEast tour... Acadia, Vermont, West Virginia.... one heck of a trip, and some absolutely gorgeous photos. Your vertical shot of the mill is stunning.

Thank you, too, to Vincent and Jerome! Very kind of you. Jerome, I just want to pull a chair up to that steam and close my eyes!

tsjanik

www.williamlee.com
Nice one Will. It seems quite a few of the posters were in the Adirondacks two weeks ago.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.