The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimCollum

a couple more from the Gladding McBean pottery factory

Aptus 75s, Mamiya 645AFDII, Zeiss 40mm Distagon

Aptus 75s, Mamiya 645AFDII, Mamiya 50mm shift (stitch)

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Here's one as I was walking past the Moscone Center in San Francisco early this morning. All of the Apple Acolytes were lined up around the block to get into Apple's World Wide Developer's Conference to hear/see Steve Jobs introduce the next iPhone. :)

Mamiya 150/3.5 @3.5, ISO 400.

Kurt

robsteve

Subscriber
a couple more from the Gladding McBean pottery factory

Aptus 75s, Mamiya 645AFDII, Zeiss 40mm Distagon

Aptus 75s, Mamiya 645AFDII, Mamiya 50mm shift (stitch)
Jim:

This looks like some sort of control with levers and foot pedals. What did it do?

JimCollum

Jim:

This looks like some sort of control with levers and foot pedals. What did it do?
if you look at this image

and place yourself under the platform at the top of the hydraulic lift.. then turn left.. you'll see the chair in that image.

This chair and controls are used to operate (used.. as in.. still being used).. a hydraulic lift that raises and lowers a very large extruder used to make clay piping.

Stuart Richardson

Cool shots Jim, are they HDR, or is that just the naturally high dynamic range of the MFDB? They sort of have the shadow/highlight filter look to them...

This is a town called Gjogv in the Faroe Islands. It was with the Mamiya 7 and 43mm lens. It was color film, but converted to BW. It's small on the web, but the scan is 9100x7200...with plenty more detail to spare, but that is all the scanner will go up to (3200dpi).

JimCollum

Cool shots Jim, are they HDR, or is that just the naturally high dynamic range of the MFDB? They sort of have the shadow/highlight filter look to them...
nope..no HDR. light's a bit weird.. most were 10-30 second exposures.. and a mix of distant sodium, mercury, tungsten, and daylight

that, and i usually look for fairly monochromatic and low contrast scenes

Stuart Richardson

Oh, and here is a 100% crop, no sharpening. It would probably be sharper with a film like Acros...this was just Provia 100F. By the way, I am not trying prove anything like film is better than MFDB...they are different animals. I am sure MFDB creams film for resolution and sharpness, I am just always impressed at how great a negative the Mamiya 7II will put out.

Stuart Richardson

Thanks for the answer Jim. It must be the dust or something. It gives the image that flatness that certain HDR images have in their midtones -- it is sort of a "this is not your slide film with a 4 stop range" type of look.

JimCollum

Yea.. the Mamiya 7II was probably one of my favorite cameras to use.. lightweight, quiet, and fantastic lenses

a couple Trix shots from the 43mm lens and Mamiya 7II

JimCollum

Thanks for the answer Jim. It must be the dust or something. It gives the image that flatness that certain HDR images have in their midtones -- it is sort of a "this is not your slide film with a 4 stop range" type of look.
yea.. even with film, i'm a color negative sort of guy.. one of the reasons i like the MF backs as well as the Betterlight scanning back.. they have that extended range that you don't see with either slide film or DSLR's. One of the reason I chose the Aptus 75 was the similarity in tone, color and contrast to some of the color negative films

bensonga

Jim and Stuart,

I am truly in awe of the images you have posted....both the color and BW.....they are incredible. Thanks for sharing these!

Gary Benson

Graham Mitchell

From a portrait session yesterday. Not exactly my genre but it pays the bills.

Rollei 6008AF, Sinar e54LV, 150mm PQS lens at f4, iso 100, 1/60.

mark1958

I was walking out my front door after some wind and rain.. and saw this leaf.. so i took out my leaf/H2 and macro and started taking some shots. A few months later with my H3DII-31 staged this leaf image...

Stuart Richardson

"From a portrait session yesterday. Not exactly my genre but it pays the bills."

There is something to be said for providing people with nice photos that will keep them happy for a long time. I do freelance portraits from time to time too, and while doing it rarely allows you to reinvent the wheel, it does allow you to make a family happy and give them some memories, so it is fine. You get bills paid, and they get some memories. Everyone wins.

Nice capture too.

Stuart Richardson

Nice leaf Mark. I am already waiting for the fall...too hot here in New York for me. Your shots remind me a little of this one I took in Japan a few years ago...I had no tripod and the 110/2, so I had to use it wide open...obviously yours are much better executed!

mark1958

Stuart nice... I was fortunate being at home and having the tripod handy.
I was on the east coast 6 or 7 times during the last 12 months and the last two NYC and Boston weather was nice. I got in and out just as the warming up but not the heat wave... Hot in bay area-- mid 80s but nice and cool at night.. and almost no humidity

S

Samuel Axelsson

"From a portrait session yesterday. Not exactly my genre but it pays the bills."

There is something to be said for providing people with nice photos that will keep them happy for a long time. I do freelance portraits from time to time too, and while doing it rarely allows you to reinvent the wheel, it does allow you to make a family happy and give them some memories, so it is fine. You get bills paid, and they get some memories. Everyone wins.

Nice capture too.
I agree, I also like this type of shooting. Very emotional and special.
One of mine (a job too):

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

The other thread was getting long so I decided to start a part 2...

Jim Collum and I met at the Sutro ruins this morning for an early shoot. The light went bad fast, but there was about 20 minutes of some decent early morning shooting. I am still learning how to process the Phase files so these are probably not optimal, but at least have figured out enpough where I can pretty much display what I saw. All shots were at f8 or f11 and ISO 50 or 100, and fairly long exposures, tripod of course. These first two are with the 55 lens:

These next two are with the 35 lens:

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.