The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mtj

Hello Wentbackward. Your image is so striking that I finally registered on this site so that I could post my quick example of fixing the vignette issues and making some minor edits. Please have confidence in the capture. Excellent!

Graham Mitchell

Went for a trip into the desert today:

Made a new friend:

Ran into a bunch of guys having a picnic in the middle of nowhere:

Here you can see what they were eating:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Only on a Sunday

This is the kind of Fun With Filters Frenzy that only happens when Sundays and Blue Moons coincide...

Most evenings I walk my pooch at dusk and there's this one spot where the colours make a pot of gold under some trees. It makes me stop in my tracks every time but it always looks like it's the sort of scene that's better in memory than on film. However... I started off with an iPhone snap processed in Snapspeed, quite liked the result and then graduated through a Fuji X100 shot to a full on, three shot HDR with IQ180 on Cambo with 35XL, LCC, the works, then processed in C1 to export to LR, then out to Nik HDR then Color Effex Pro and back to Lightroom.

So here are the three shots. If anyone likes them, which do they prefer: the $500 version, the $1,000 version or the, well, let's just say stratospheric version! You could save me a lot of money here...:):):)

Paratom

Re: Only on a Sunday

This is the kind of Fun With Filters Frenzy that only happens when Sundays and Blue Moons coincide...

Most evenings I walk my pooch at dusk and there's this one spot where the colours make a pot of gold under some trees. It makes me stop in my tracks every time but it always looks like it's the sort of scene that's better in memory than on film. However... I started off with an iPhone snap processed in Snapspeed, quite liked the result and then graduated through a Fuji X100 shot to a full on, three shot HDR with IQ180 on Cambo with 35XL, LCC, the works, then processed in C1 to export to LR, then out to Nik HDR then Color Effex Pro and back to Lightroom.

So here are the three shots. If anyone likes them, which do they prefer: the $500 version, the $1,000 version or the, well, let's just say stratospheric version! You could save me a lot of money here...:):):)
I prefer the second. Is it x100?

fotografz

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I posted a version of this earlier but the color profile was all wrong. Now I've corrected it.

This is the last of the color for this part of Ontario - all the deciduous trees have shed their leaves, leaving the larch as the only brilliance left. But they're good for another week or so yet! (Yeah, I know it's pure picture postcard stuff!)

Bill

tsjanik

I like both #3 and #1, in that order, although for different reasons. #3 has a precision I attempt to achieve in my own photography; it's an accurate record. #1 is more nebulous, imprecise and dream-like; more of a memory.

Here's my own contribution from today, a local creek.

Tom

_IGP6139 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Paratom

Here is my question: I voted for #2 because I find there are more colors in the leaves. Specially some yellowish while in #3 it looks all dark orange/red to me.
So was #3 some days later and therefore less yellow leaves?
or did you post process in a way that you wanted it to look different to achieve a certain effect/ more color contrast to the dark green?
or did the x100 render the different colors better? :eek:

fotografz

Here is my question: I voted for #2 because I find there are more colors in the leaves. Specially some yellowish while in #3 it looks all dark orange/red to me.
So was #3 some days later and therefore less yellow leaves?
or did you post process in a way that you wanted it to look different to achieve a certain effect/ more color contrast to the dark green?
or did the x100 render the different colors better? :eek:
I guess I should have said why I liked #3 best.

#1 makes the tree ominous, like a spider waiting in the shadows using the beautiful leaves as the bait.

I didn't mind #2 because the far background light was rendered in an interesting way that added a sense of depth, but the tree looks dodged to much which ruined it for me. The color is nice.

#3, was likable to my eye because of all the subtile things going on ... like the reflections of the colored leaves on the hanging branches of the tree, and the rich detail everywhere. I didn't feel so manipulated even if it was, more natural.

#3 could be post process to mimic #1 and 2 ... but I doubt the opposite is true ... #1 for sure, and probably #2 could never look like #3.

I guess it shows how one can render a scene to achieve different goals.

-Marc

tsjanik

............(Yeah, I know it's pure picture postcard stuff!)

Bill
Yes, but such a nice postcard. Really makes me want to load up the canoe and head out. For some reason, I associate the golden tamaracks with the warm, insect-free days of fall, i.e. perfect; maybe I just don't notice them when the weather is bad.

Tom

Ben, Tom, jlm, Yat, Pramote, mtj, Shelby, Thanks guys for the comments! Yes it's Hong Kong.

I think the vignette looks worse online as the JPG conversion has just pulled a lot of tones down to black (can be seen in the building centre/bottom too).

Ben not sure this will print up large at this point as there seems to be an issue with a horizontal line right through the entire image. I need to contact POne about it :( I'll see if it can be dealt with or not

Status
Not open for further replies.