The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shelby Lewis

Thanks everyone for the kind replies!

Finally got to use those old school legs this afternoon. Here's one from my first headshot session shot solely with the RZ. Overcast with reflector for fill. Initial workup - I'll probably reprocess this with a slightly higher red/yellow content in the skin at a later time.

RZ Pro IID - Aptus II6 - 110/2.8 @ f/5.6 - 1/60 @ ISO 100 on a tripod.

A fellow music student (much younger, obviously!)

Cheers!
Shelby

Last edited:
P

Paul66

Ok so I've never used Medium Format before, are you all using a filter for the landscapes? The colors seem to just pop so much better than the 5D Mark2.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Shelby

Great headshot. Makes me think that I might not need to go with a 645DF and could just stick with my RZ67 pro ii (non-D) and just get an adapter.

2jbourret

I certainly can't answer for anyone else, but I don't use any kind of intensifying filters, only GNDs, and on occasion a ND to lengthen an exposure. I'll rarely use a polarizing filter, but never if the sky is in the frame, due to their uneven effect on the sky in wide angle shots.

I think the real answer to your question lies with the inherent color depth and tonal range that a MF digital back is capable of capturing. It's NOT all about resolution, which some people tend to think.

S

Shelby Lewis

Hey Paul,

I'm not much of a landscape guy, but my general feeling around here is that beyond the occasional polarizer or ND (for slowing shutter speeds to aid with silkier water), most around here don't use filters that much.

Several of the tech-cam guys prefer to take multiple exposures and blend them as opposed to using ND-grads and the like.

Sometimes you'll see some center-filter usage as well, but that's really just for fall-off correction.

I think the great color you see here is due to all the "umph" these cams have in their files as well as the amount of care that many here put into both capture and processing... especially the capture phase. Some of the more experienced members here walk away with files that need very little technical work on the file, leaving the only "pushing and pulling" in post to the creative enhancements... which gives a great file in the end.

Just my impressions, probably not gospel. :D

P

Paul66

Thanks Jamie and Shelby, I have been checking out all these wonderful images, I had heard the Medium Format blows the stuff I'm using out of the water :)

Status
Not open for further replies.