The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

dick

Nice...

¿You were testing the model not the camera or lighting kit?

A beautiful Young Lady that seems composed, happy and confident apparently naked. (I would like to shoot all tests naked... to see if the model could look composed naked, and because you do not know which bits of the model might be exposed in assignments.)

Her complexion looks good but not perfect (you need to be about 7 to have perfect complexion).

I prefer the lower-contrast, lighter first picture, but the second is probably more what people want now?

My first post in this thread:

I did a beauty test shoot with a beautiful model from Muse NYC last night. Here are the results:

C&C Welcome.

1st look

Muse-Caroline D by mikedotephoto, on Flickr

2nd look:

Muse-Caroline by mikedotephoto, on Flickr

Mike Dote

I was definitely testing the model, but also the camera.... I just got it- and I ran into a couple hitches that I will need to call Steve at CI about.

And she was wearing a tube top- so she wasn't naked. Tube bad.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Oh well. :p Even her goose bumps look nice in the first shot.
I prefer to shoot those sorts topless (model not me LOL) since tube tops do change the shape.
Also I can't tell in that image but you might try processing it by dialing down clarity by 20-30 points for the skin and then layering that with a clarity +20 for the eyes and other details you might want to pick up.
-bob

Mike Dote

I didn't really notice the goosebumps til now.

Thanks for the tips guys! I've been masking in a gaussian blur of 20 at 37% with photoshop, but I think I neglected to mask it in on her shoulders...

I will rework the image and replace the current photo on flickr with it.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have abandoned blur completely in favor of frequency separation retouch.
It makes for more real looking skin.
dialing down clarity reduces the contrast in the skin so you have less work to do.
-bob

dick

I didn't really notice the goosebumps til now.

Thanks for the tips guys! I've been masking in a gaussian blur of 20 at 37% with photoshop, but I think I neglected to mask it in on her shoulders...

I will rework the image and replace the current photo on flickr with it.
It is difficult to make skin look real and smooth... in the pre-digital age I used the split-image range finder to focus on the ears... to get the hair sharp and the face slightly soft... this is far too complicated for digital cameras, but they could invent an option to focus a specified distance ¿7cm cheek to widest part of the head? beyond the sampled area.

The technical solution for goose pimples is to make sure that the poor young lady is warm enough... and to be warm and relaxed when you are not active (and wearing little of nothing) you need a room temperature of about 25 degrees centigrade (this is what I used when I was a masseur)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Skin retouch.
This gal had very dry skin with red bumps ALL over.
Here is the face retouch using the frequency separation technique.
The finished also had some dodge and burn applied.

-bob

Willow

Dialing down clarity also makes it blurry IMO.

The only way to make skin "good" and real is hours and hours of
cloning, healing and D&B.

Last edited:

Willow

Can anybody tell me why my last picture is way off in color?
It is way too magenta/red and way to saturated compared to how
it looks in Photoshop.
I converted to srgb, and when that didnt look good in Getdpi, I "prepared
it for Web".
That didnt make it different either .....

Anyone??

S

Shelby Lewis

Can anybody tell me why my last picture is way off in color?
It is way too magenta/red and way to saturated compared to how
it looks in Photoshop.
Anyone??
Are you looking at it in Google Chrome on a mac. If so, Chrome isn't color managed. Safari is, and Firefox can be (if you turn it on). Could just be your browser.

J

jcoffin

I tried Safari, Firefox and Chrome on Mac.
Same wrong colors
In FireFox, you turn color management on by typing "about:config" as if it were a URL (and navigating to it like you would any normal url). That should bring up a page of settings with a place to enter a "filter" at the top. Type in "color_management" (without the quotes) and you should get three (or so) entries. The main one you care about is the color management mode, which you want set to 1. If it's not set to 1, double click that line and it'll let you edit the value.

mediumcool

First paid shoot with my new Mamiya DM28

CH_TrendPhoto_000158-Edit by curtis_hustace, on Flickr

Hi Curtis, this criticism/comment is based only on what I see on your post, and I concentrate on the last picture. BTW, congrats on getting a child relaxed; not always easy!

1. Colour balance

Too yellow-green to my eyes on my monitor, in Safari. Look at neutrals if possible to get white balance; the girl’s shirt and the woman’s jumper look grey to me. I did some Levels adjustments in PS via an adjustment layer.

2. Contrast

Seems too harsh to me, though ironically I find the fill a bit too heavy. Used Shadows/highlights in PS to open shadows, and lightened overall.

3. Focus

Spot on, but I find the sharp background distracting (and I feel pic is over-sharpened at the displayed size). I used a layer mask with lens blur to separate the background. A good and bad thing about MF is the relatively shallow depth-of-field; I am far more likely these days to use f2.8 or f4 to blur BGs (M645/Aptus 22) than I did in 35mm. What aperture did you use here?

I also blurred a duped layer 3–4 pixels, using Lighten transfer mode at 25% to give a teensy bit of highlight glow.

HTH!

Status
Not open for further replies.