The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shelby Lewis

Chrome 16 is color managed on the Mac btw.
I'm running 16.0.9.... and it does not appear to be. Is there some secret menu I need to check ala Firefox, because it's not reading the profiles in my photos as of right now.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Dialing down clarity also makes it blurry IMO.

The only way to make skin "good" and real is hours and hours of
cloning, healing and D&B.
At least for most purposes I try not to make skin too perfect. I used to and did spend hours of freq. separation style cloning and d&b but I thought that the ladies just looked well shall we say "unrealistically" good. I admit to cleaning up a large pore here or there, but my rule is usually something like (mostly) if it looks dry or red, then clean it up. If brown leave it be.
The reduction in clarity is a gentler treatment than the blur I often see.

As for the color of your post it appears a touch on the green side assuming that the background is gray. I meter it as around 194/199/193 on-screen
-bob

Willow

Hi Curtis, this criticism/comment is based only on what I see on your post, and I concentrate on the last picture. BTW, congrats on getting a child relaxed; not always easy!

1. Colour balance

Too yellow-green to my eyes on my monitor, in Safari. Look at neutrals if possible to get white balance; the girl’s shirt and the woman’s jumper look grey to me. I did some Levels adjustments in PS via an adjustment layer.

2. Contrast

Seems too harsh to me, though ironically I find the fill a bit too heavy. Used Shadows/highlights in PS to open shadows, and lightened overall.

3. Focus

Spot on, but I find the sharp background distracting (and I feel pic is over-sharpened at the displayed size). I used a layer mask with lens blur to separate the background. A good and bad thing about MF is the relatively shallow depth-of-field; I am far more likely these days to use f2.8 or f4 to blur BGs (M645/Aptus 22) than I did in 35mm. What aperture did you use here?

I also blurred a duped layer 3–4 pixels, using Lighten transfer mode at 25% to give a teensy bit of highlight glow.

HTH!
On my screen it also was a little too green to my taste.
But yours where way too red.
Here is my take on it.
And only to show that colors and contrast are very much a personal taste.
There are no right or wrong. IMO

PS You have to click the picture to see the "right" colors

S

Shelby Lewis

The colors look the same on both mine and others pictures on
Safari, Firefox and Chrome.
Here's the difference (screen grab) between safari (on left) and chrome (on right) for me... latest macbook pro is my system... these don't look the same to my eyes. Notice how the color has changed, compared to the origina, once this screen grab was saved out of photoshop with the srgb color space:
(which makes me wonder if Chrome is indeed reading the profile... but still rendering it differently than safari/firefox)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the difference (screen grab) between safari (on left) and chrome (on right) for me... latest macbook pro is my system... these don't look the same to my eyes. Notice how the color has changed, compared to the origina, once this screen grab was saved out of photoshop with the srgb color space:
(which makes me wonder if Chrome is indeed reading the profile... but still rendering it differently than safari/firefox)

I metered the background in your screen grab Shelby, and they look awful close to me.
Check out the digitalcolormeter in the utilities folder in your mac to see at least what the files measures in the buffer. What is actually on your screen depends on your monitor.
There is a color temperature shift left to right on each image so that the most right part looks a bit different than the most left part
-bob

Willow

Now, I am very confused :).

When I look at your screengrabs, the colors are like I want them and see them in PS. But I also saved my picture in srgb...

And to my eyes, there are no difference in color on your screengrabs.
Or so little, I cannot see it.
They are both aprox. how I see my picture in PS.

mediumcool

Took Shelby’s dual image into PS, and layered the RHS (Chrome) over the LHS, and found that the images are not exactly the same size—the RHS is a bit smaller. My intention was to show any colour variation with the Difference transfer mode, but this is obscured by the scaling difference. Wonder why the discrepancy? Anchored on the side of her mouth.

mediumcool

I noted sone variation in d-min readings varying up to 4 units of R and G, with 1 or 2 units of B (from a base of 0-0-0), when looking at the dark area top left (using the PS Eyedropper). This is easily explained by the low resolution, different images sizes and JPEG artifacts, but seems pretty marginal to me for those reasons.

S

Shelby Lewis

I noted sone variation in d-min readings varying up to 4 units of R and G, with 1 or 2 units of B (from a base of 0-0-0), when looking at the dark area top left (using the PS Eyedropper). This is easily explained by the low resolution, different images sizes and JPEG artifacts, but seems pretty marginal to me for those reasons.
I guess we're getting off topic, so I'll end my replies here... and take any comments off-forum... but to me the difference is pretty noticeable. The left-most image has, informally, less red to my eye... and looks more yellow/green. I know it's not enough to break the bank being that it's just web display, but it still bothers me. Apparently it's better now with version 16 of chrome (which I didn't realize)... it used to be a horrible difference. I'm glad to see them so close. My browser updated to 16 automatically and I didn't notice the better handling of color. :thumbup:

Still the differences bug me. Thanks mediumcool for the detective work :thumbup: ... we pay big bucks for this color accuracy, so obvious discrepancies between sources that should be the same gets on my nerves.

I metered the background in your screen grab Shelby, and they look awful close to me.
Check out the digitalcolormeter in the utilities folder in your mac to see at least what the files measures in the buffer. What is actually on your screen depends on your monitor.
There is a color temperature shift left to right on each image so that the most right part looks a bit different than the most left part
I did exactly this last night on the exact same single-pixel location within the image (a medium highlight in the eye that was easy to discern) and the differences in rgb numbers were, to me, significant enough to corroborate a noticeable/viewable color shift.

Thanks all for the interesting thoughts!

David Schneider

This thread is hitting 8,000 replies and half a million views. Amazing!!!

I have to admit I don't follow all the comments all the time. I mean, I'm looking at 72dpi web images after all. I read some comments and I can't understand what the poster is saying because so many web images look like they could have been taken with a variety of cameras that were not mfd. I will admit to not having the discerning eye and experience of many. Yet I have learned a few things, like from the posts above about talk of different color with different browsers. I never thought about that before. Education is a wonderful thing.

It is nice to have a place to see images taken with medium format and I guess that's the point. As Guy said in the first post, "have fun."

So here's to the next 8,000 posts and looking forward to this thread (or a continuation of it) hitting the one million view mark.

bensonga

Peace and love to all......'tis the season.

And in the New Year....time for a CLA (aka...hitting the gym to work off the holiday lbs).

503CWD, CFV-16II, CFi 100mm f3.5 lens

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Gary, it's in Bruce Peninsula National Park, overlooking Georgian Bay - a ten minute drive and one hour hike from my home.

Thank you for your kind comment. It was the warmth of the sunlit trees contrasted with the cold of the shadowed cliff face that appealed to me. I'd have preferred if the image were reversed - but pictorial honesty won't permit!

Bill

Douglas Benton

Forgive me for posting old images. I just want to hang out with the cool guys that still shoot medium format :) This is one shot in Kansas on the way to a workshop in Colorado a few years ago with a P30+. There were tornado warnings on the radio but I didn't know what county I was in, so I kept shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.