The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrump

A lot of great stuff being posted. Been in Hawaii the last week but have not gotten many good looks this trip. Here is one of the better ones shot on the North Shore of O'ahu. We were hoping for some big waves but things calmed down a few days before we arrived.

Cambo RS, IQ180, SK72L:

jerome

Are you thinking about getting the TS adaptor?
Yes, I do ! I even tested it and I will buy it eventually.

In the same time here, all those distorsions are giving the exact feeling of what it was that moment ! The wind was so strong, I was sick !

:)

Swissblad

Much better Jerome.... now we don't fell sick anymore :)

Lovely photo - you capture that stormy feeling very well.

I really need to save up for the HC 28mm!

dick

This is almost the same photo (the previous one in fact), but with the camera correctly held, so there a far less distorsions ...
Timing can be important for architectural photography if there are cars or pedestrians in the shot, but here you have caught the wave better.

The waves would make it difficult to stitch... unless all the water was in one shot - 2-shot vertical?

dick

Just returning from SIHH (one of 2 large watch shows in Switzerland), playing with this image of the back of one of the watches shown...

For my impressions on the S2 with the 120 macro, please visit here.
If the lens does not do 1:1, it is not a macro lens.

Most lenses described as "macro" are optimised for 1:1 to infinity, so they are good for close up.

I have been thinking of using my micro-Nikkor 200 for live insect macro on my GH2, but I have a full set of Zeiss Luminar lenses for up to 40:1.

jerome

Much better Jerome.... now we don't fell sick anymore :)

Lovely photo - you capture that stormy feeling very well.

I really need to save up for the HC 28mm!

I love the HC 28 and this is the one I use the most with the HC 50 mm2. For landscape, I feel always compelled to use it, as we have a wide vision. And of course, you have to be very carefull not to tilt it because of distorsion :)

jerome

Timing can be important for architectural photography if there are cars or pedestrians in the shot, but here you have caught the wave better.

The waves would make it difficult to stitch... unless all the water was in one shot - 2-shot vertical?
Thanks !

The wind was blowing very very strongly and it was rather difficult to stand on my feet. So it's a hand held shot, no possibility here to stich anything under such conditions.

That was the photo I first choose and then I picked up the other one which was closer to the "sick feeling" I had at that time.

I should have kept my sickness for myself :)

Swissblad

Hi Dick

I'm puzzled by your 1:1 comment and macro lenses.

Many macro lenses don't focus to 1:1, including the Hasselblad Zeiss 120mm macro, as well as a whole generation of Nikkor micro lenses (55mm and 105mm), as well as the old superb Minolta macro lenses etc.

It was common for most of these to have a 1:2 reproduction ratio unless dedicated close-up rings were used.

I think the most important characteristic is that a macro behave in a "planar" fashion akin to a repro lens, having a "flat-focus" field and corner to corner sharpness without distortion. This separates it from many "macro-zooms".

The Zeiss luminar lenses were wonderful, but it is almost easier to use a stereo microscope with cold-light source for such photos.

Just my 2c, S ;)

Swissblad

Just returning from SIHH (one of 2 large watch shows in Switzerland), playing with this image of the back of one of the watches shown...

For my impressions on the S2 with the 120 macro, please visit here.
Lovely image - incredibly sharp - and I guess you didn't have a tripod at your disposal.
I'm surprised they allowed you to take such photos - many manufacturers are wary of 2nd rate replicas made via such photos....

dick

Hi Dick

I'm puzzled by your 1:1 comment and macro lenses.

Many macro lenses don't focus to 1:1, including the Hasselblad Zeiss 120mm macro, as well as a whole generation of Nikkor micro lenses (55mm and 105mm), as well as the old superb Minolta macro lenses etc.

It was common for most of these to have a 1:2 reproduction ratio unless dedicated close-up rings were used.

I think the most important characteristic is that a macro behave in a "planar" fashion akin to a repro lens, having a "flat-focus" field and corner to corner sharpness without distortion. This separates it from many "macro-zooms".

The Zeiss luminar lenses were wonderful, but it is almost easier to use a stereo microscope with cold-light source for such photos.

Just my 2c, S ;)
Either they are not correctly described as "macro". or they are optimised to work at 1:1, but only with extension tubes.

I have the Hasselblad/Zeiss macro 120, and the micro-nikkor 200IF, but I have not used them for a while, but I think they both need extension tube to go 1:1.

Status
Not open for further replies.