The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

P. Chong

Lovely image - incredibly sharp - and I guess you didn't have a tripod at your disposal.
I'm surprised they allowed you to take such photos - many manufacturers are wary of 2nd rate replicas made via such photos....
I do watch photography for a living...so have strong relationships with the manufacturers.

Either they are not correctly described as "macro". or they are optimised to work at 1:1, but only with extension tubes.

I have the Hasselblad/Zeiss macro 120, and the micro-nikkor 200IF, but I have not used them for a while, but I think they both need extension tube to go 1:1.
I agree with Dick. To qualify as Macro, I think the lens must focus to procide 1:1. The HC120 macro does. And I regularly use it with 78mm extension to yield near 2:1 magnification images.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
A lot of great stuff being posted. Been in Hawaii the last week but have not gotten many good looks this trip. Here is one of the better ones shot on the North Shore of O'ahu. We were hoping for some big waves but things calmed down a few days before we arrived.

Cambo RS, IQ180, SK72L:

nice image ... I love the contrast of cool to warm the composition you've put together with the palm tree.

I'm headed to maui tomorrow. Just in time, winter seems to have finally arrived in Utah.

baudolino

Are you thinking about getting the TS adaptor?
The distorted image works best here, in my view. It gives it the dynamism, energy, accentuates the wave and the line of the houses. The corrected image is, well, correct, but boring. So, I'd keep the distorted image here and leave the TS adapter in the bag.

dick

Are you thinking about getting the TS adaptor?
The distorted image works best here, in my view. It gives it the dynamism, energy, accentuates the wave and the line of the houses. The corrected image is, well, correct, but boring. So, I'd keep the distorted image here and leave the TS adapter in the bag.
We are all entitled to an opinion... as art is what anyone appreciates... and, if what causes most of us nausea is what you appreciate...

rem

Peter, you took the picture in Geneva? What is your setup under such conditions, especially the light? For me it looks great! Greetings from Bern, rem

P. Chong

Peter, you took the picture in Geneva? What is your setup under such conditions, especially the light? For me it looks great! Greetings from Bern, rem
Rem, no. I shot this in a shop in Singapore. But, Pretty much show conditions. Portable studio - one Profoto Compact 600 with an umbrella, a couple of reflectors and flags. Camera on tripod. I travel to the SIHH and Bselworld with a similar setup.

jerome

So I keep both of them :)

Thanks, I couldn't choose, maybe I was right ! Sometime a "not so good technical photo" can be a better image !

But, it's a very personnal choice :)

jlm

Workshop Member
point the camera up and you will get this effect. I think it works in this photo, if nothing else, disinguishing it from so many like it.
sort of a surreal touch. not sure if that was your intention, but I would fight off any requests to straighten it up

etrump

nice image ... I love the contrast of cool to warm the composition you've put together with the palm tree.

I'm headed to maui tomorrow. Just in time, winter seems to have finally arrived in Utah.
I would love to spend a couple weeks on the Keane peninsula. That huge bamboo forest just west of there looks pretty interesting from the road. There is always a couple dozen cars parked on the road.

That whole corner of Maui from there to Hana is a photographers dream!

Enjoy the trip.

rem

Thank you Paul! I have to try once with one of my watches (was a collecting a while), but I wear the most, so I will not have one without some scratches... And of course, a Tourbillon I have not. But was playing last week with a Double Tourbillon at Beyer in Zurich;-)

P. Chong

Thank you Paul! I have to try once with one of my watches (was a collecting a while), but I wear the most, so I will not have one without some scratches... And of course, a Tourbillon I have not. But was playing last week with a Double Tourbillon at Beyer in Zurich;-)
Um, its Peter. Btw, Revolution magazine issue 6 carried 6 pages of my images of tourbillons. Free download of that issue here.

Revolution - Asia 28 | ASIA 28 Back Issue for $0*| Zinio - The World's Largest Newsstand

jerome

Love this Jerome. Great color and ambiance. Would be nice to use t/s to avoid the wide angle distortion - sorry jlm ;

This type of image is almost a genre of it's own.
Thanks !

I've dhoot some without the distortion but without the foreground too ! Eventually, the foreground makes the photo, so that's the one I kept.

Once again, holding the camera horizontally is the key and I didn't do it clearly at this time, as I was leaving, frustated that no good photos was there. And as I was leaving the location, looking from the road again, I saw that what I needed was a this nice foregreground. I don't really know if I could have done better with the distortion, by being more focused or if that was it.

So I have no alternative to show :)

jerome

like this picture with the trees Jerome. Nice light (and of course not so windy how in Syracusa;-)
rem
Thanks !

"Douce France", as we say here (Sweet France), the famous "Douceur Angevine" that the poets are describing since the Renaissance and since the kings of France built those famous castles :)

dick

Thanks !

I've dhoot some without the distortion but without the foreground too ! Eventually, the foreground makes the photo, so that's the one I kept.

Once again, holding the camera horizontally is the key and I didn't do it clearly at this time, as I was leaving, frustated that no good photos was there. And as I was leaving the location, looking from the road again, I saw that what I needed was a this nice foregreground. I don't really know if I could have done better with the distortion, by being more focused or if that was it.

So I have no alternative to show :)
If you do want to avoid the distortion, one option is to use the camera in portrait orientation, with the back vertical, and crop... in this instance a viewpoint farther to the right might have helped the background, but not the foreground, where the wave on the rocks was a major element in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.