The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Of course -- I should have known by the subject :)

S

Samuel Axelsson

Hi there, one from today:

/Samuel

Hauxon

Unfortunately Guy, you won't see it in the spring, as it will not be dark enough. Peak time for the aurora is in the late fall to deep winter.
The best time to get aurora is from late november to late february. Most of my aurora shots are made in february for some reason.

One major fault with medium format and aurora is slow lenses and short exposure times and poor iso performance. Aurora moves and faster shutter times reveal better shapes and colour. With my rather slow 18/3.5 Zuiko I need ISO 400-800 and 30-90 seconds. One of the best aurora shooters here uses mostly a 24/1.4 lens between f/1.4 and f/2. (Larus)

Hrannar

David K

Workshop Member

Hrannar,
Thanks for posting that link to the aurora images, they are nothing short of amazing.

Stuart Richardson

Thanks for the links Hrannar. I like those shots a lot, but they are almost too crazy for me. I have never seen the aurora like that, but they are amazing, artistic shots. It's interesting about using the 1.4 and f/2 lenses though. I had never really considered doing instantaneous exposures. I would have thought that the longer ones would allow the aurora to show up in more places in the photo.

I also wanted to say that I saw your flickr page before and I thought you had some really nice stuff. It seems like you hang out at Grotta a lot too :). I am in Brooklyn right now, waiting for my work visa to Iceland (I have spent a lot of time there, but I don't officially have a residency permit yet). When I am there, I live on Vesturgata. When there is a particularly beautiful evening I shoot over to Grotta since it is the darkest place I have found in Reykjavik.

In any case, if you would like to get together and shoot some time, let me know. I am always interested in meeting more Icelandic photographers.

I do have some photos from Iceland up on my website... www.stuartrichardson.com

Hauxon

In any case, if you would like to get together and shoot some time, let me know. I am always interested in meeting more Icelandic photographers.
Thanks. Yup Grotta is nice, you can almost get out of the light pollution there. The Grotta peninsula is also a great place for those interested in birds. Please feel free to contact me when in Iceland. :)

woodyspedden

Just playing around with my new Hassy H3DII-39 using an older 180 CFE Zeiss lens and 1.4x teleconverter to see how the files held up.

While the image is rather boring (just a quick grab shot through my sliding glass door to the patio) I was impressed with the file quality. The image goes from almost total black in the lower right hand corner to almost white in the sky. I love the 3D quality of the branches from the birdhouse and the bokeh is pretty outstanding IMHO.

I love my M8 and Nikons, but the MF is just very special. I can't wait to get out to Death Valley in December and start shooting landscapes of importance.

Woody

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

A few shots from earlier today with the Mamiya AFD and 80/1.9 manual focus lens.

D

ddk

A few shots from earlier today with the Mamiya AFD and 80/1.9 manual focus lens.
This is exactly what my daughter does when she see's me with a camera! LOL

david

EH21

Kurt,
I still remember the image you sent me taken with the DMR and the 35-70 elmarit - that image had a similar sort of scene as this recent one but had so much more depth and pop to it. Now that you have shot both formats how do you feel about MF?
Eric

atanabe

My wife wanted to display her grandfather's banjo from the 1920's, I being curious, wanted to see what type of banjo it was. Opened up the back of it and found all of these signatures of his friends and relatives that we have heard so many stories about. So we figured that this would be the best way to display the instrument, in a photograph.
Taken with a Hasselblad 500 C/M, 100 CF @ f16, CFV back @ 100 ISO, lit by two Nikon SB800s triggered with Pocket Wizards.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

VERY cool Al!

robmac

Cool - always wondered what the back of a banjo looked liked. Very nice heirloom.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

David, I'm glad I spent the past several years working on my manual focus technique. The days of her wanting to be a willing target are over as we work our way through the preteen years.

Now she's forcing me into refining other skills. I'm onto the next phase, working on my stealth street shooting skills ... as you can see, I've got my work cut out for me. :D

Kurt

This is exactly what my daughter does when she see's me with a camera! LOL

david

fotografz

On vacation in Northern Michigan. Mostly crap light as I am with family ... no early mornings or sunsets :mad:

Grand Traverse Light House ... a landmark in need of upkeep.

Handheld H3D-II/39, HC 28 with polarizer ... color may be off as I am on my laptop.

Last edited:

mark1958

I am in Maui.. Here are a couple from the Crater... H3DII-31 and 50-110mm zoom.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Eric,

I still look back at shots with the 35-70/2.8 lens and marvel how good the optics and microcontrast are with that lens. As a side note, one point that is worth noting is just how well the files from the DMR and M8 hold up at large sizes. The files from my D3 seem rather flat in comparison at larger sizes.

I'm still a MF neophyte and have a long way to go in understanding how to get the most out of the format and files. But, I've seen enough in a few short months to know that I do like what I see and will be able to use the files to accomplish what I want to accomplish. The examples that I posted were all shot very close to wide-open so they are not going to highlight a strong sense of the 3D look that others are getting with shots that are more stopped down. Also, remember the Mamiya 80/1.9 is a $200 lens and certainly doesn't have the same mojo or price tag as the 35-70 elmarit.

I've been doing a little experimenting to see how close to wide open I can get with several of the Mamiya lenses I currently have and still get an image that excites me. I've attached a more representative image ... this is with the Mamiya 150mm lens at f3.5.

Kurt

Kurt,
I still remember the image you sent me taken with the DMR and the 35-70 elmarit - that image had a similar sort of scene as this recent one but had so much more depth and pop to it. Now that you have shot both formats how do you feel about MF?
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.