The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlindberg

Very interesting shot, Sergei. How do you manage the sharpness combined with the "soft" look?
I cannot know how Sergei does it, but when I want a similar look I do the following.
1. copy layer
2. level adjustment to quite light
3. Gaussian blur quite a bit
4. Blend mode - multiply

:)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi folks! This will be my first post here on the forum... Found this place while googling H4D-40.... After many years of 1series canons for my professional work I have finally made the leap back to medium format... Picked up my hd4-40 this last Monday, together with a HCD28, HC80, and the HC 50-110. Which will have most bases covered... Will be looking for a longer tele as soon as funds allow though :) enough rambling... This thread was about fun!
Lot's of stunning landscapes here, they outweigh the portraits/people So time to try and redress the balance... :) My first job with the new camera, the day after getting the hassy :D
Shot with the 50-110 wide open, arri fresnel lights at 800iso no noise reduction... (sorry about the large logos, these were pulled off my Facebook page.. Once I get back to work after the Easter break I will swap them out with something more subtle)

Hi Nathan, and welcome to GetDPI -- GREAT first post BTW!

:thumbs:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
RZIID+Aptus54s+110/2.8 and elinchrom quadra's (as usual - tight space, calls for smaller heads)

(series were specially styled for b&w , so here processing as b&w is not afterthought.. ;))
Beautifully lit, beautifully processed!

:thumbs:

Mike Dote

Fire #1 by mikedotephoto, on Flickr

Fire #2 by mikedotephoto, on Flickr

C&C welcome and appreciated.

First photos processed from a 6 part series on opposing elements.

Fire/Ice with be done with this model (The ice shoot should happen sometime next week)

Light/Shadow and Earth/Wind are in pre-production

Last edited:

Nathan W. Lediard

Fire #1 by mikedotephoto, on Flickr

Fire #2 by mikedotephoto, on Flickr

C&C welcome and appreciated.

First photos processed from a 6 part series on opposing elements.

Fire/Ice with be done with this model (The ice shoot should happen sometime next week)

Light/Shadow and Earth/Wind are in pre-production
Nice idea for a series :)
Great choice of model and makeup for fire...but the expression on the models face is not saying "fire" to me... More cold or icey in my view...
Like I said I like the concept and I look forward to seeing the rest of the series.

Nathan W. Lediard

Something a little different... Anologue medium format :) Scan of a print developed in lith chemicals... Shot with hassy (500 or 503 can't remember) and 150mm lens lit with profoto beauty dish and grid...
foma tone fb mg paper.
This is a topless shot so I will link it to be on the safe side...

Lith printing is a very addictive process and I find it almost therapeutic after doing paid digital work all the time... Two versions from the same negative, with two different exposures in the enlarger and two different snatch points.... I wish I had more time for the darkroom.... And scans that could show the true beauty of a real lith print

http://www.lediardfoto.com/kat_lith001a.jpg

Version two.. More exposure and slightly later snatch...
http://www.lediardfoto.com/kat_lith_002.jpg

P

photographist

Hi Bill ...

Don't know where you hang your hat, but if you're ever in north central IL, look up the town of Union, IL. The IL railroad museum is located there and it has some beauties! Several fully restored and operational steam and diesel locomotives and associated stock. Many others on display and they seem to be camera friendly!

Nice work and happy shooting!

Jeffrey

Quentin_Bargate

An exercise in focus stacking. I use focus stacking occasionally for landscapes but for Macro work it can be more difficult to get right, and this shot is not quite perfect unfortunately (e.g. left stamen not perfectly sharp), but fun to do all the same :D Without stacking, only the stamens are sharp, but staking around 15 shots, I nearly got the whole thing sharp.

All with H4D-50, 120 Macro (Mk 1 version).

gazwas

I really like your image Quentin.

What software do you use to stack and what aperture do you use as the EXIF says f4 as its something I've always wanted to try? I think PS CS5 has focus stacking but not sure if its any good.

If you say 15 exposures was not quite enough to get this totally right, what number do you think 20-30?

I like it Quentin - great potential here and having just received the 120 SK and a bellows set-up for the Rm3di, all ready to dive in! Something like this, printed large, would be extraordinary.

Quentin_Bargate

Hi guys

Thanks - I used Helicon Focus. The aperture was F/12. 1/320 sec and studio lights.

Actually I used 21 shots - I miscounted! So probably 30 would do it. That's a lot, but the software seems to have no problem with virtual memory (I'm on a Windows 7 64 bit machine).

Now I should be using a focusing rail, but in fact I simply used the focus ring on the lens and shot direct in to Phocus, one after the other as fast as I could., front to back.

Where Helicon focus really rocks is with landscapes. You can use the full wide angle effect of the 28 mm lens, stop down reasonably - say to F/12, which is before diffraction becomes a serious issue - and take 3 shots (usually enough) for foregound, mid-distance and infinity. Here is one I used this technique on:

Which was shot at F/16, three images stacked. Makes a difference to those grains of sand!

and one more I have posted before, F/14, H4D-50, 28mm lens, 3 stacked shots:

Which would be impossible to achieve using the Scheimpflug principle with tilt because there are two vertical planes of focus that had to be combined - the Church and the old gateway

Quentin_Bargate

I like it Quentin - great potential here and having just received the 120 SK and a bellows set-up for the Rm3di, all ready to dive in! Something like this, printed large, would be extraordinary.
You're not wrong!

Bellows should work just great.

I have just tried printing the Amaryllis shots and my wife loves it!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys

Thanks - I used Helicon Focus. The aperture was F/12. 1/320 sec and studio lights.

Actually I used 21 shots - I miscounted! So probably 30 would do it. That's a lot, but the software seems to have no problem with virtual memory (I'm on a Windows 7 64 bit machine).
Quentin,

Nice captures! Just curious, about how long did it take to capture each series, and then how long to actually run the assembly in HF, and did you need to edit either/both sets of masks for the final stacks?

TIA!

jlm

Workshop Member
i use helicon quite a bit, but am pretty generic about it. any explanations of how the variables work?

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Jack

I had to edit the stack for the flower shot and a tad more in Photoshop. The problem is the blurred stamens impact the final image by creating or leaving a halo effect if you are not careful and sorting that out takes some time. With the beach image, only a little editing was necessary, and none at all with the chuch shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.