The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerome

Auvergne Sancy

Hi !

A photo trip in Auvergne, famous for Volcanos and Cheeses. Le Massif du Sancy, National Park and as usual for me "nice weather" ! :)

H4d50 Hc 50mm2

Last edited:

Don Libby

Re: Auvergne Sancy

Hi !

A photo trip in Auvergne, famous for Volcanos and Cheeses. Le Massif du Sancy, National Park and as usual for me "nice weather" ! :)
Hi Jerome, first off very lovely images.

I do have a thought - have you tried these with just a wee bit of additional contrast? I'm thinking it might bring down the overall brightness while adding to the color. Just a thought...

Don

jerome

Hi Jerome, first off very lovely images.

I do have a thought - have you tried these with just a wee bit of additional contrast? I'm thinking it might bring down the overall brightness while adding to the color. Just a thought...

Don
Thanks Don !

I've just tried a bit more contrast. But there is a real gap between the web images (too greenish and saturated) and the original photos on CS5, I wonder if it will change anything. (I've change the second photo in fact ...).

But it's a little better :)

Don Libby

Thanks Don !

I've just tried a bit more contrast. But there is a real gap between the web images (too greenish and saturated) and the original photos on CS5, I wonder if it will change anything. (I've change the second photo in fact ...).

But it's a little better :)
The second image looks better. As for the first I guess I'd like to see a little more depth or punch in the green moss. Overall both are still very pleasing and it's just my thoughts. And yes it's very difficult to judge an image based solely on a web jpeg and that's why I mostly don't say much.

Don

jerome

The second image looks better. As for the first I guess I'd like to see a little more depth or punch in the green moss. Overall both are still very pleasing and it's just my thoughts. And yes it's very difficult to judge an image based solely on a web jpeg and that's why I mostly don't say much.

Don
I think I need also to recalibrate my screen, the print also needs a bit more punch and usually, differences are not huge. I'll do this tomorrow and thanks again for your useful comments !

Don Libby

I think I need also to recalibrate my screen, the print also needs a bit more punch and usually, differences are not huge. I'll do this tomorrow and thanks again for your useful comments !
Jerome, you are very welcome and thank you for taking my thoughts for what they were - comments.

Regarding calibration. I have my main screen set to for a reminder every 30 days to check the calibration. I keep to this schedule unless I begin a new work process and then I'll recheck the calibration even if it had already been check a couple days ago. The dictionary has my photo when explaining being anal with my processing.

Bonne nuit et merci encore une fois.

Don

Petster

Has anyone any experience comparing helicon focus with
Zerene Stacker as to which is easier to use, creates less
halos and other artifacts, etc.?

Thanks!
I used both and none of them is able to deliver the picture you would like to have without retouching.

The results differ but I couldn't tell you which one is better as both has some flaws. But this is because the task is quite complex.

What I do know is that retouching with Zerene is getting slower and slower after some time while Helicon Focus performance while retouching keeps stable.

The following picture is made with Helicon and a lot of retouching. Still away from being perfect.

Cheers,
Pete

Garrapata State Park south of Point Lobos? Lovely image. One of my favorite locations. Was luck to fly over this location on a Zeppelin ride over California. I will post images when I get back from Patagonia next month.

Scott
Yep, thats right. Thats the sea arch at Soberanes Point. Can't wait to see your images from a Zeppelin, that would have been awesome!

Quentin_Bargate

I used both and none of them is able to deliver the picture you would like to have without retouching.

The results differ but I couldn't tell you which one is better as both has some flaws. But this is because the task is quite complex.

What I do know is that retouching with Zerene is getting slower and slower after some time while Helicon Focus performance while retouching keeps stable.

The following picture is made with Helicon and a lot of retouching. Still away from being perfect.

Cheers,
Pete

Looks pretty good to me. Perfection is unattainable in this life, but with some work I find even with complex macro subjects you can get a very good result, as you ably demonstrate.

Quentin_Bargate

I'm not Quentin however allow me to help.

Stacking refers to shooting the same image several times using the same setting for each except changing the focal point ever so slightly. I've taken up to 11 images when processed together show a finish image where everything is in sharp focus. The technique is sometimes called stacking. Stacking can be done with any camera that allows the photographer to manually manipulate the focusing ring of the lens. Likewise you can mount the camera on a focusing rail and move the entire camera.

Hope this helps.

Don
Excellent explanation!

Status
Not open for further replies.