The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

dick

"The Fiery Furnace."
by coulombic, on Flickr

A permit-only section of Arches National Park, "The Fiery Furnace."

Phase One 645DF, Phase One 28mm f/4.5D, and a Leaf Aptus-II 12.
This is a very nice picture ... I like warm, saturated colours.

...but I wonder if it could be improved?

Most landscapes I see: I think that they would have looked better taken from farther back with a longer lens, and doing so here would have made more of the distant rock formation, which would have been further enhance by using a levelled (view) camera, or even (a view camera with) rear tilt forward, making the rocks look higher and steeper.

Generally landscapes look best if they have a foreground, middle distance and background... but here the middle distance at ground level that could have linked the foreground and background and given a better sense of depth is hidden by the foreground tree... a higher viewpoint might have helped.

pesto

These are some cropped portions of images shot recently with my 500 APO and P1 DF/P40+. This is a very nice combination and, while my keeper rate is something less than 100%, when I do manage to get things right the results quite good even if the subtleties are lost in the necessary down sizing for the web.

Last edited:

coulombic

This is a very nice picture ... I like warm, saturated colours.

...but I wonder if it could be improved?

Most landscapes I see: I think that they would have looked better taken from farther back with a longer lens, and doing so here would have made more of the distant rock formation, which would have been further enhance by using a levelled (view) camera, or even (a view camera with) rear tilt forward, making the rocks look higher and steeper.

Generally landscapes look best if they have a foreground, middle distance and background... but here the middle distance at ground level that could have linked the foreground and background and given a better sense of depth is hidden by the foreground tree... a higher viewpoint might have helped.
Unfortunately, while it's difficult to tell, the ground slopes quite a ways upward toward the trees. As such, to have gained a higher perspective, it would have required much more than extending my tripod's legs. . . it would have required a ladder. Stepping back would have only further obfuscated the interesting rocks in the background, as I would have continued to descend. So, while I agree with you about the "fore/center/background" divisions, it simply was not completely possible for this image (without a ladder).

Thanks!

malmac

Gabe

I see you used the Heartblei camera for some of your earlier shots - great images.

While I understand that the camera can be used with the Canon TS lenses to great affect - what happens when you use (for instance) a 50mm f1.2 lens on your camera?

Be very interested in more info on the use of other lenses on the Hartblui other than the TS lenses.

Regards

Mal

coulombic

Gabe

I see you used the Heartblei camera for some of your earlier shots - great images.

While I understand that the camera can be used with the Canon TS lenses to great affect - what happens when you use (for instance) a 50mm f1.2 lens on your camera?

Be very interested in more info on the use of other lenses on the Hartblui other than the TS lenses.

Regards

Mal
Hi Mal,

Most Canon EF lenses' image circles are simply too small. That is, for use with full-frame 645 backs, at least. I've attempted the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 II L, 200mm f/2.8L, 35mm f/1.4L, and the 50mm f/1.4. Perhaps, with back that's not a full-frame, some of these lenses might actually be useful, however.

Thus far, the only lenses that have worked well with the HCam and my Aptus-II 12 have been TSE lenses. If you like, I can give you a list of all of the different lenses I've tried and liked with my HCam/Aptus?

malmac

Gabe

I have a firly wide range of Canon lenses including a TSE24mm and had given some thought to replacing my Cambo with the Hartblui so I could use more of my canon lenses - I was figuring that even if I only ended up with a 40 Mp crop from my 400mm lens that it would still have beautiful colour from the IQ back.

I also have an 85mm f1.2 lens, so once again even if it ends up a 40Mp image, it is still able to grab all available light and could end up being a quite beautiful image under certain conditions.

Any additional info you can post on the Hartblui would be terrific - really if Canon, etc have their own thread way cant Hartblui have a thread for those of us who are interested in Stefan's cameras system?

Regards.

Mal

malmac

These are some cropped portions of images shot recently with my 500 APO and P1 DF/P40+. This is a very nice combination and, while my keeper rate is something less than 100%, when I do manage to get things right the results quite good even if the subtleties are lost in the necessary down sizing for the web.
I assume these are with tripod and manual focus?

Have taken some bird images with our Canon gear and a 400mm f2.8 lens with a 2x extender and realise just how hard it is to be in the right spot at the right time etc.

These images look great.

Mal

pesto

Hello Mal,
Thanks for your kind words, they are much appreciated. Yes, they were shot from a tripod with a gimbal attachment and yes, they were manual focus and stop down metering. The Mamiya 500 APO is a very heavy lens and I doubt that it be used productively without a tripod.

Douglas Benson

Status
Not open for further replies.