The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerome

Hi,

I've not received my D800E , so it's still Hasselblad here :)

Always views from my last trip in UTAH & California !

H4D50 HC 28 HTS

NB : firdt test of the Coloreffect soft !

borderline overcooked? or not?
I didn't think so, I love images that push beyond boundaries. I love the way the road is totally blown out, curving into the scene and then gradually coming into detail at the same point as the plane of focus, plus the splash of colour there, you have many elements colour, contrast, detail, plus three strong lines all coming in at the same point. It does it for me anyway :)

ashwinrao1

Ashwin be sure to post some 645D images here. I’ve enjoyed your photos on the Leica threads ( I don’t own one, I read it since I like the photos).
I’m curious why you chose the 645D (since you seem to have no previous investment in the Pentax 645 system) over the D800(E), which is the current camera du jour and I don’t mean that in a derogatory sense, as it appears to be quite a breakthrough camera.

Tom
Hi Tom,
Great question, with a few answers. For one, it was the price I paid for the 645. I was able to trade my K5 kit and a little used (but costly) Leica M lens to recoup most of the cost of the 645D + 75 mm lens.... This was immediately available, while the 800E is still not available where I am.

Next up was a cost analysis. The 645D and 75 cost me about $7K overall, with little new investment. Pentax SMC-A and FA lenses are actually reasonably priced, and I have been able to pay less that $200 for a 150 mm lens (90 mm equiv) and $350 for the 120 f/4 macro. Thus, for 1 camera and 3 high quality optical products, I paid under $8K.

In comparison, the Nikon system, for which I have no current investment, would cost $3300 for the D800E body, plus an equivalent high quality 50/75/90 lens kit (High quality Nikon, Zeiss, or LEica R glass, specifically nice glass to insure optimal resolution that the D800E's FX sensor would demand) would run an additional $3000-7000 or so dollars...

Sure, the Nikon system would offer more lens options and flexibility, but that would mean more Gear Acquisition syndrome and further cost to me. Sure the Nikon system would offer better high ISO performance and improved AF for some circumstances, but at the loss of sensor size and real estate, depth of field at an equivalent aperture....

I still believe that the size of the sensor does matter some, but maybe current reviews and comparisons are attempting to debunk this...hard to say. I also value CCD sensor output, and see something missing (a certain je ne sais quoi) with CMOS sensors in terms of sharpness and pop, 3 dimensionality. Maybe it's the Leica placebo effect, but I am seeing much the same IQ in the 645D that I have valued in my Leica M kit, but with much cheaper glass...

Finally, I have used 35 mm SLR's before, and it's sort of a been-there-done that perspective for me. I want to try something "new" to me...

Given the limitations of Lens selection options (limiting GAS) and increased sensor real-estate, and a "price is right" proposition that I was faced with this week-end, I sprung for the kit.

So far so good....

And heck, it's great to be part of this particular forum, having wandered into these hallowed halls...

ashwinrao1

Okay, a few 645/75 FA "street" captures...I'm sad to post web-sized previews here, as the size doesn't do the images justice....that being said, I was able to get good focusing speed and accuracy, and found the 645D a pleasure to use in action!

And one, just for fun...nice to be able to hand the camera off to the sig-O and get a fun shot ;)

tsjanik

Hi Tom,
...........Next up was a cost analysis. The 645D and 75 cost me about $7K overall, with little new investment. Pentax SMC-A and FA lenses are actually reasonably priced, and I have been able to pay less that $200 for a 150 mm lens (90 mm equiv) and $350 for the 120 f/4 macro. Thus, for 1 camera and 3 high quality optical products, I paid under $8K.

In comparison, the Nikon system, for which I have no current investment, would cost $3300 for the D800E body, plus an equivalent high quality 50/75/90 lens kit (High quality Nikon, Zeiss, or LEica R glass, specifically nice glass to insure optimal resolution that the D800E's FX sensor would demand) would run an additional $3000-7000 or so dollars...

Sure, the Nikon system would offer more lens options and flexibility, but that would mean more Gear Acquisition syndrome and further cost to me. Sure the Nikon system would offer better high ISO performance and improved AF for some circumstances, but at the loss of sensor size and real estate, depth of field at an equivalent aperture....

I still believe that the size of the sensor does matter some, but maybe current reviews and comparisons are attempting to debunk this...hard to say. I also value CCD sensor output, and see something missing (a certain je ne sais quoi) with CMOS sensors in terms of sharpness and pop, 3 dimensionality. Maybe it's the Leica placebo effect, but I am seeing much the same IQ in the 645D that I have valued in my Leica M kit, but with much cheaper glass..........................

So far so good....

And heck, it's great to be part of this particular forum, having wandered into these hallowed halls...
Parallels my analysis. I think you will really enjoy this camera (and this thread).

Tom

I still believe that the size of the sensor does matter some, but maybe current reviews and comparisons are attempting to debunk this...
Size does matter. I frequently use Nick Brandts animal portraits as an example. Their sheer beauty can move me on artistic impression alone, all done with a Pentax. I often feel that images vibrate a kind of energy and for me that increases with format size. In small format, only Leica and Zeiss really do it for me. My dream is a 40MP (I'm not greedy) 4x5 instant capture device.

Shashin

Okay, a few 645/75 FA "street" captures...I'm sad to post web-sized previews here, as the size doesn't do the images justice....that being said, I was able to get good focusing speed and accuracy, and found the 645D a pleasure to use in action!
+1. I really enjoy using the 645D on the streets--I had a blast on my last trip to Tokyo (I don't get the options here in Maine). I really like the Pentax colors too. Don't let folks give you any guff about not being able to handhold MFD--they are just jealous because they can't do it. :D

dick

Don't let folks give you any guff about not being able to handhold MFD--they are just jealous because they can't do it. :D
Being able to use MFD hand-held is one thing, but getting more res than you could with a Cannon or Nikon is something altogether different - and I think this is why so few wedding photographers use MFD... but the Hasselblad H4D-40 is supposed to be good enough at high ISO to make it an option.

I do not use my H4D-60 hand-held very much without studio flash... I have somewhere a test shot of the Hasselblad rep that I tool with the 300mm.

Nathan W. Lediard

I use my H4D-40 handheld for most portrait/fashion stuff... It only gets locked down on a tripod for large groups, or when I am doing certain types of advertising/commercial work...

I find it works well hand held, and when shutter speeds get marginal I use the mirror delay function... Amazing what difference bumping the lag to 100 or even 200 milliseconds will do.

Shashin

Being able to use MFD hand-held is one thing, but getting more res than you could with a Canon or Nikon is something altogether different...
Nope, piece of cake. This is at 1/60s, 100% crop. YMMV. I think the reason most wedding photographers don't use MFD is economic.

tsjanik

I always use a tripod when practical, having lost too many shots over the years to camera shake; but, having said that, the 645D is very handholdable. Here's a shot I posted in the 645D thread: Handheld 400mm ! FA lens @1/500 s, ISO 800. Crop of unsharpened RAW file (other than mild ACR); no PP.

1_IGP7118 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

tsjanik

Size does matter. I frequently use Nick Brandts animal portraits as an example. Their sheer beauty can move me on artistic impression alone, all done with a Pentax. I often feel that images vibrate a kind of energy and for me that increases with format size. In small format, only Leica and Zeiss really do it for me. My dream is a 40MP (I'm not greedy) 4x5 instant capture device.
I agree, Brandt's images are remarkable; as far as I know, he still uses a Pentax 6x7 film camera and no telephoto over 200mm and yet he produces the best images of African wildlife I've seen (IMHO).

Sorry to read you have your equipment up for sale Paul; you could try a 645D and have a lot of left over money. :)

Tom

Aryan Aqajani

Hi guys,

Here is some of my latest long exposure works! Any critiques/comments or likes are welcomed as always :)

Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID + Mamiya 50mm f/4.5 ULD + Fuji Acros 100 home developed in Rodina/Adonal 1+100 in 20min + Epson V700 scanner + Sekonic L-758DR + Lee Big Stopper

Thanks for looking :)

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Hi guys,

Here is some of my latest long exposure works! Any critiques/comments or likes are welcomed as always :)

Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID + Mamiya 50mm f/4.5 ULD + Fuji Acros 100 home developed in Rodina/Adonal 1+100 in 20min + Epson V700 scanner + Sekonic L-758DR + Lee Big Stopper

Thanks for looking :)

Very beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.