The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosphere

What do you think, hard grad is better than soft grad ? I want to buy one (Hitech or Kood) and i don't know the difference.

Shashin

So I am out a Pemaquid Point testing a new filter. I get this fun image and, as I am leaving, I see someone having fun on the rocks (but pointing the camera toward the lighthouse ;) ). Now, there is about a 1:4 chance at Pemaquid to see a photographer with more than a point and shoot. The chances you run into someone shooting MFD are really long. Not only finding a MFD photographer in Maine is rare, but to run into a GetDPI member is really pushing the odds up. Anyway we had a nice chat and I will wait to find a photo of Pemaquid Point Lighthouse in this thread--I am not sure I want to identify who is away from home on a public forum. Pentax 645D, 55mm, 90 seconds, f/13, ISO 400, B+W 4.0 ND, Tiffen T1 IR cut filter.

Quentin_Bargate

What do you think, hard grad is better than soft grad ? I want to buy one (Hitech or Kood) and i don't know the difference.
Well I use Lee filters, and the hard grads are more useful.

I have a set of three, for one, two or three stops. I also have the soft grad set but I use them much less frequently.

I have also used Lee's pro glass.6 ND filter which is a neutral ND filter, not a grad, and I have literally just bought their "big stopper" which cuts out a massive 10 stops of lght. Only done one test shot so far, and looking forward to using that soon!

chaosphere

Well I use Lee filters, and the hard grads are more useful.

I have a set of three, for one, two or three stops. I also have the soft grad set but I use them much less frequently.

I have use Lee's pro glass.6 filter which is a neutral ND filter, not a grad, and I have literally just bought their "big stopper" ahich cuts out a massive 10 stops of lght. Only done one test shot so far, and looking forward to using that soon!
thanks ! if you want to sell your soft kit... :D

Quentin_Bargate

I don't know what others think, but with digital photography, the only filters I have found useful are ND filters, grad and non-grad, and a polarising filter.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I don't know what others think, but with digital photography, the only filters I have found useful are ND filters, grad and non-grad, and a polarising filter.
I use the LEE hard/soft 1-3 stop GND filters, Polarizer & Big Stopper too. For bright daylight long exposure work I will also sometimes use the 2 or 3 stop ND filter in addition to the 10 stop Big Stopper.

However, another essential filter IMHO is the Singh Ray reverse grad 3 stop for sunrise/sunsets where you want to filter the horizon and not the transition to the edge of the image. (Which reminds me to pick up the 4 stop reverse grad - sometimes 3 stops isn't quite enough)

No doubt someone will now come along and tell us all that grads are unnecessary these days ... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.