The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ondebanks

Very nice! ^ I do believe I caught some clouds, I was trying to catch lightning bolts to little success.

I tried a 1 hour and 26 minute exposure with my p45+ this evening, and got this result:

There is hardly any noise, and this was taken at ISO 200. Facebook may have pixelated it a bit.
That's a lovely circumpolar trails shot. The P45+ lives up to its reputation. You got a meteor in the upper right too. Heck, that's almost as good as a 6x7 film shot :angel:

Of course, you didn't need to tell us how long the exposure was! (I'm assuming that everyone here knows how to tell it directly from the image? And I don't mean from the EXIF :))

Ray

Shashin

Took a trip out to Camden Hills State Park today to have some fun. Pentax 645D, A 35mm, Hoya X400 ND filter.

Shashin

Of course, you didn't need to tell us how long the exposure was! (I'm assuming that everyone here knows how to tell it directly from the image? And I don't mean from the EXIF :))

Ray
Superimpose a clock face on the image and see how far the stars have moved. :D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Very nice! ^ I do believe I caught some clouds, I was trying to catch lightning bolts to little success.

I tried a 1 hour and 26 minute exposure with my p45+ this evening, and got this result:

There is hardly any noise, and this was taken at ISO 200. Facebook may have pixelated it a bit.
Btw, lest we forget, this equates to a 3 hour exposure experience as the Phase backs insist on dark frame LENR. Been there, done that ... (and it's why I stack images with my D800 with no LENR for these star trails).

VERY nicely executed though and a testament to why Phase One need to consider keeping a long exposure option in their MFDB suite. I'd trade all of my MFDB's and the Nikon D800 system for an IQ P45+ equivalent with OPTIONAL LENR.

jlm

Workshop Member
sorry, but in my opinion, this kind of raunchy cheesecake is an insult to women, especially those on this forum :(

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Please post images that at least have the intent of being tasteful. If any image cannot be shown without embarrassment or distress to anyone in a typical office environment, then please post it in the "images to share" forum with the annotation in the title "NSFW".

thanks
-bob

Last edited:

Zerimar

Btw, lest we forget, this equates to a 3 hour exposure experience as the Phase backs insist on dark frame LENR. Been there, done that ... (and it's why I stack images with my D800 with no LENR for these star trails).

VERY nicely executed though and a testament to why Phase One need to consider keeping a long exposure option in their MFDB suite. I'd trade all of my MFDB's and the Nikon D800 system for an IQ P45+ equivalent with OPTIONAL LENR.
I completely agree with you in that regard. I absolutely love my p45+ and wish they would continue making a back with longer exposure technology and all of the new IQ features. The LENR is annoying in all honesty, and I wish I could disable it at times, but am thankful that my images have little to no noise from it.

In reality a d800 with LENR turned off and using some of the star trails software with it left on continuous drive mode and a shutter release cable would be somewhat more sane because you could dial in your exposure, shoot at a higher iso, and ultimately control the lengths of your trails.

In most instances I will not be doing an exposure longer than 10 minutes, and believe that adding support in future backs for long exposures for up to 10 minutes would be an ideal compromise, as this is the first time I have tried do do anything over 10 minutes, let alone an hour, and only think I will use it again out in the the desert's of death valley, or somewhere else in nature to achieve a similar effect.

On the plus side, no IQ version of it means it will continue to hold some decent resale value, and means I won't be spending more money that I don't have to get the IQ version of it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.