The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you offended, on either side of the argument, it is essentially an issue of community values. I am a big fan of nudes and other edgy subjects but the furor in this forum both public and private was just over-board.
At that time we decided that images that might be not appropriate or the office environment be labeled NSFW in their own threads in the Images to share forum. I have been doing this for over a year now and the uproar has stopped.
I really prefer that folks be sensible and self-regulated, and I am sure that it is impossible to please all parties, at least this approach allows posts of most images and seems to work out for those who are sensitive as to the content.
I really would like to be able to post my nudes in this forum too, but clearly I could not get away with it because it threatened to disrupt the forum community.
thanks
-bob

Ed Hurst

Thanks Marlyn - it certainly is a beautiful city! Yes, I did indeed do some Vivid shots - and posted some on here a week or two back. Just scroll a page or two back and you will see them. The Opera House installation was not so striking this year from a stills perspective - it was more impressive because of the movements. You will see what I mean in a couple of the shots. You can see a fuller set of my Vivid pictures here: Vivid Sydney 2012 - a set on Flickr

And thanks Gary for your kind words. When the light is good in Sydney, it's hard not to take crisp shots!

johnnygoesdigital

Nudes are some of the best subjects for lighting and composition. Tastefully done, can allow a photographers skill, and artistic expression to trump any offensive imagery. Perhaps we should also ban paintings by such artists as Botticelli and Chabas. It sure beats some of the boring landscapes... (tongue in cheek) :)

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nudes are some of the best subjects for lighting and composition. Tastefully done, can allow a photographers skill, and artistic expression to trump any offensive imagery. Perhaps we should also ban paintings by such artists as Botticelli and Chabas. It sure beats the countless boring landscapes:)
I don't think that anyone disagrees - it's just a case of making sure that they don't pop up inappropriately in a common forum thread that might be embarrassing in an open social environment such as in the office, coffee shop or whilst sat on a plane etc.

Put them in a marked NSFW thread/forum and this can be avoided.

It sure beats the countless boring landscapes:)
Btw, for some people it's countless boring portraits ... ;)

Hosermage

If I may suggest... as I've seen in other forums, only "link" to the nude/NSFW images and don't display them in-line and apply proper warnings. That way the image can still be part of the conversation and doesn't blow up in people's faces.

gazwas

If I may suggest... as I've seen in other forums, only "link" to the nude/NSFW images and don't display them in-line and apply proper warnings. That way the image can still be part of the conversation and doesn't blow up in people's faces.
Or even better, possibly someone should start a thread for such imagery and it can be as edgy a you want and those who want to keep away, can.

While I appreciate the skill involved in glamour (not sure what you call it) photography, it's not the sort of image I really have much time for and is not a subject matter I want clients, work colleges or my young daughter to think I stare at all day long.

I enjoy the fashion and portrait images posted in here but as soon as the clothing starts to get smaller I think there are other forums much better suited who encourage this subject matter.

Keep up the good work with the boring landscape (as someone tastefully wrote) because I love them!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I agree with Gareth.

There's some superb artful nude work out there that definitely has a place here in its own area. I know that I draw inspiration from all genres of photography and some of the best pure landscapes I've ever seen have been of the human form.

In case folks are still interested in some boring landscapes (or seascape in this case) - I just acquired a used Sinar eMotion75 DB for my Contax 645 and have been coming to grips with digital MF for the past few weeks :banghead:

I have to say I love the Contax 645 as a film camera and was pleasantly surprised to see that the Zeiss lenses are more than up to the task of digital. There don't seem to be a lot of Contax digital shooters here but for me, since I also wanted to shoot film, the Contax is a great camera with features that are hard to find in other bodies.

I've been looking for a DB for my Contax for many months and finally came upon the Sinar which has a 33Mpx Dalsa sensor - exactly what I wanted. I also like the fact that the Sinar backs can be mounted on several MF bodies with a simple adapter change so I didn't feel like I was getting locked in to a back that may be difficult to sell later on (recognizing that there aren't as many Contax shooters) - I wish the other DB vendors took a similar approach...

Anyway, I really appreciate all the insights I gathered from these forums - the photographers here are top notch and the information available here has been invaluable to me in navigating through all the considerations to moving into MF.

I plan to also use this back with my Fuji GX680 once I get the proper adapter.

Enough chatter! Here's a couple of photos from my trip down to Morro Bay last week - nothing too exotic - just getting the feel for this back and processing of the files:

Morro Rock at sunset - taken with the 120mm macro

Morro Bay Marina - taken with the 45mm f2.8

I appreciate any constructive comments :loco:

Cheers,

jlm

Workshop Member
the image I squawked about was not a nude and was not artful, it was a demeaning representation of a skimpily clad female crawling on the ground wearing g-string longerie and high heeled boots; typified by cheap biker magazines and the like. It would be a considerable stretch to call it an attempt at the art of the nude.

what ticked me off the most was demonstrating this blatant male sexist view

darr

Morro Rock at sunset - taken with the 120mm macro

Morro Bay Marina - taken with the 45mm f2.8

I appreciate any constructive comments :loco:

Cheers,
Very Beautiful!! :thumbup:
I do not comment more than how I feel. If it stimulates my eyes and/or emotions, it is beautiful for me!

Kind regards,
Darr

johnnygoesdigital

FWIW- I shoot landscapes too, and i'm sure some are not very interesting. I enjoy all aspects of photography, and draw inspiration and motivation from good photography found here.

jlm- your opinion is valid, but cheap biker magazines also need content...and readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.