The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

David K

Workshop Member
Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Marc, that shot was wide open, which is f/5.6 on that lens, figure you lose one stop for each of the mutars, which would bring it to f/16. I don't think that gets you the DOF of f/16 though... not sure about that. As far as the armed guard, I know what you mean... kind of ridiculous when you think it's worth twice the value of the vehicle I drove there with.

KeithL

Beautiful capture, Keith. Living in Florida I no longer have the pleasure of seeing those fall colors and I sure miss them.
Thanks David, appreciated.

The capture was finally achieved after visiting the location many times over a period of years. When I arrived the entire scene was enveloped by a blanket of thick fog. This exposure was taken as the fog was being rapidly burnt off by the rising sun but before the scene had become impossibly contrasty.

woodyspedden

David

I think that if you mounted it with the camera attached to the tripod either the lens mount would have broken off or the front heavy would have the lens buried up to the first Mutar in the sand LOL!

Woody

David K

Workshop Member

David

I think that if you mounted it with the camera attached to the tripod either the lens mount would have broken off or the front heavy would have the lens buried up to the first Mutar in the sand LOL!

Woody
Just for the heck of it I determined the "teeter totter" point on this setup and it's actually much closer to the camera than I would have thought. Actually right behind (towards the camera) the double blue lines on the Hassy mutar, which means there'd be less weight pulling on the mount if I had mounted the camera to the tripod instead of the lens. If I were using this regularly I'd probably get the Manfrotto 359 long lens support thing that Michael Reichman reviewed on LL a while back (his photo, not mine) but it does seem quite limiting if you wanted to tilt or pan...

T

thsinar

very nice image, Keith.

Best regards,
Thierry

"You aren't shooting natural landscapes..."

Now there's an interesting concept Marc, "natural landscapes". Thankfully the Gods didn't give us a colour chart.

A few minutes prior to taking this shot the scene appeared as almost monochrome. At the point of capture the scene appeared pretty much as shown. A few minutes after taking this shot the scene was light by strong sunlight.

Natural or unnatural?

woodyspedden

I have a question. Here is an image taken last night just as the sun was at its last ebb. The focus is on the statue of the Shaman in my courtyard. The exposure was 13 seconds at 5.6. My question is that while the image seems very soft viewed fully, when you drill in on the statue the image is really sharp. Anyone able to explain this? Just curious

H3DII-39

Woody

KeithL

I have a question. Here is an image taken last night just as the sun was at its last ebb. The focus is on the statue of the Shaman in my courtyard. The exposure was 13 seconds at 5.6. My question is that while the image seems very soft viewed fully, when you drill in on the statue the image is really sharp. Anyone able to explain this? Just curious

H3DII-39

Woody
Actual point of focus?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

H3DII-39

Woody
Woody:

Can you post crops of say the head and antlers of the statue and the swirly thing in its upper left hand?

Don Libby

Woody - first and only comment is that I like it. Very very nice.

Here's a real quick down and dirty 6 shot pano of Yavapao Point, South Rim Grand Canyon. Just put it together this morning.

don

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Tough shot. No tripod, no monopod ISO 200 1/160 at 4.5 and no freaking light with new 150mm 2.8 mamiya lens, which maybe my favorite in the bag. Still working on color balance. Just got home from trip and gig. Man it is hot here. Left San Diego this morning at a cool 74 degree's. Now that is living.

Yes they are getting married and I am shooting it, lucky me. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Another I just hit on. Have to go through these better but I really like this lens.

Guy Mancuso

First one would think this is movement but it actually maybe mirror slap. The real answer I am afraid is the statue moved from the wind because the building did not. Tricky stuff

Either that or you kicked the tripod the last few seconds

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Hi Woody:

Your problem is probably camera motion, and probably at the beginning of the exposure (mirror slap?) and slowed down after 2 or 3 seconds of the 13 second exposure, thus creating the subtle ghosting along the statue edges. OR it is possibly statue motion due to wind, though it's hard to tell exactly which without looking at a sharpest part of the building which isn't likely to be moving due to wind. Either will cause the statue to be blurry as it shows in your crop, and explains why your image doesn't look sharp to you, even down-rezzed.

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

:ROTFL: And Guy and I post at the same time. Again...

Guy Mancuso

Scary part is we said the same thing. LOL

woodyspedden

Real issue is that both of you see the same problem. So I need to find a way, even with a tripod in the equation, to assure the camera is not moving during the exposure.

Thanks Jack and Guy and all the others who post to show what is wrong with the images posted here.

God Bless

Woody

woodyspedden

So why do I come here for help? Are you kidding...Thanks to Guy and Jack and I can't wait for the next (lighting) workshop to get to some of the issues that still bug me.

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Real issue is that both of you see the same problem. So I need to find a way, even with a tripod in the equation, to assure the camera is not moving during the exposure.

Thanks Jack and Guy and all the others who post to show what is wrong with the images posted here.

God Bless

Woody
Woody, if you post a 100% crop of one of the rocks in the same plane as the statue, we can tell you if it was wind on the statue or camera movement. The distinction is important because the former is a natural condition that is difficult to control, while the latter is an execution issue that can be avoided/corrected with proper technique.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.