The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B_in_Toronto

Vincent, Dave, tsjanik, Ed, Lloyd, Jack & Jorgen,

I had no idea that you liked locomotives that much! But thanks for your kind remarks.

Now back to trainless landscapes...
Hi Bill - really like the train photos.

I lived for years in Field, BC and there were times in the winter when there would be more than 150 locomotives in town. The trains would generally have 7 engines in the front - then about 70 cars and then another 7 engines in the middle.

Canada exports an amazing amount of coal, potash and grains - the trains westbound travel so close together that it seems there is a continuous stream of freight.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Hi "B",

Well, Field is almost a ghost town now as far as CP is concerned, although Parks Canada has a big presence there. But all last week there were no trains there at all except for those changing crew- one at a time - and one loco with a snow plough. All the sidings were empty.

I've been visiting Field off and on since 1969 and I know you're right - used to be at least a dozen locos and numerous cars. There are still some pretty big trains go through - I filmed one with five locos at the head and another at the tail yesterday at Morant's. It took over three minutes for the the train to pass me. I'd post the video here but I'm not sure I can! Or if I know how!

When I get home I'll see if I can provide a link from my website.

Bill

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Echo Lake
Mount Evans, Idaho Springs, CO
Hasselblad H4D-40; Lee 0.6 GND and Big Stopper, HCD 35-90mm at 65mm
ISO 100, f/8, 128 sec

Last edited:

malmac

Bill

You must have been chuffed with the light that was there to make your image sing and dance.

One very engaging image.

Mal

Grayhand

Bill, I realy like what you have done in your picture "Crowsnests pass".
It is very liberating that you let the background go soft.
That really gives the picture a taste of a "Tree-dimensional" feeling :thumbs:
Ray

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Ray, Mal, thank you. The sun had just risen and I shot at f4 with the 150 mm. Anyone who knows this spot will see that I cloned out a steel pole supporting the branch on the left - this is a very old tree that has been artificially preserved.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.