The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bildifokus

I do not have the same problems with my Nikon D3x. Maybe it's related to the mirror? I've set the delay for the mirror to 100ms, maybe it's not enough?

rga

I do not have the same problems with my Nikon D3x. Maybe it's related to the mirror? I've set the delay for the mirror to 100ms, maybe it's not enough?
If, as your note below the images says, you're shooting at f/2,2, your plane of focus is razor thin. That would be my guess...
Bob

D&A

Winter returns to the Northeast (US). Female and male cardinals wishing for spring.
645D, 150mm @f2.8 ISO 1600, hand held.

_IGP0701 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
More like they're hanging on for dear life. Can almost feel the bone chilling wind in your shot. We had an unexpected reprieve in the weather the last two days and instead of the sub 30 degree weather they predicted, we had 60 + yesterday and 48+ today. Thats all over thought and by tomorrow, we'll be emulating your weather :)

Dave (D&A)

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I'll just put this out there at the end of a long thread for what it's worth. When I work on a tripod for me the result is often dull and static. I see better handheld. I decided that I was kidding myself with the tech camera setup (a bunch of Alpa stuff and an IQ 180). With a lot of assistance from my friends at Camera West I traded the Alpa and back and four lenses for a Leica S and four lenses. I've left the cutting edge, and maybe the bleeding edge. This thing is tightly integrated and the glass is gorgeous. I no longer need to carry a disto, a sheet for lccs or a screwdriver. It's liberating. It's going to take it bit longer to get totally comfortable with the S but so far so good. BTW I'm not knocking those of you who do beautiful work from a tripod. This just works better for me. A few images.

Leica S + 70 mm lens.

Bildifokus

Congratulation to your new camera!

I can feel the same about tripod as you do Woody. But sometimes the tripod is the right tool for the job. :)

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Congratulation to your new camera!

I can feel the same about tripod as you do Woody. But sometimes the tripod is the right tool for the job. :)

No doubt about it. Nothing to prevent me from putting the S on a tripod when it's needed. The Alpa was just not real practical hand held. All I've given up is 40+ megs of resolution but the S covers 24x36 prints comfortably and that's as large as I print.

gurtch

Been using the Nikon D800E lately, but took out the 645D with 45-70 FA, hand held and monopod. Had forgotten how lovely the files are.
Dave in NJ

Last edited:

etrump

No doubt about it. Nothing to prevent me from putting the S on a tripod when it's needed. The Alpa was just not real practical hand held. All I've given up is 40+ megs of resolution but the S covers 24x36 prints comfortably and that's as large as I print.
If I wasn't doing such large prints I would be very interested in the S. The images I have seen have a wonderfully natural look to them and yours are no exception. Great feel Woody.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
If I wasn't doing such large prints I would be very interested in the S. The images I have seen have a wonderfully natural look to them and yours are no exception. Great feel Woody.
Ed - thanks. My reactions are pretty subjective so far. I've got three lenses (35mm, 70mm, 120mm macro) and the 24mm on order. Wide open there is simply nothing to discuss in terms of distortion or aberrations with these lenses. Nothing. And they render beautifully with smooth bokeh and gentle transitions to out of focus. They have about a one stop advantage over their Rodenstock counterparts and two stops over Schneider. The 1600 ISO is better than servicable in my view. Autofocus is dead on. The camera is a pleasure to use once you get it set up to meet your needs, which in my case took a while. The keepers ratio (focus, exposure and motion blur where I expected them) is very high - again once I got the camera set up there have been near zero bad surprises.

So far what works best for me is the same as what works with my MM. I've been carrying around a standard lens (the 70) and using the capacity to stitch and correct in PS as a virtual zoom and PC lens, translating to B&W with agressiive curves. The files are very flexible and invite abuse. I posted a few more from today below.

tsjanik

Here's a shot from today for which I had great expectations when I took the shot. Not sure why it doesn't quite measure up. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's in color, no B&W conversion. Winter in northern latitudes becomes amazingly monochrome.

Tom

645D, 150mm f2.8, 2 frame stitch

Untitled_Panorama1 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.