The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Hurst

Thanks Dave! Earlier in the evening, I had been down by the waterfront, which allows a better composition on the city and bridge, but also means you are totally exposed to the rain/wind, making it impossible to keep the front of the lens clear for the shot. These were taken from my flat's balcony, which at least offered some shelter (i.e. I only had to dry the lens front once every 5 shots instead of after every 1!).

As for the crop, I too had been pondering that. The problem with cropping just over the street light is it cuts off the bottom of the bridge - which felt unbalanced. Once you get the bridge wholly in, then you get the street light tops - then I felt I had to include the lamp posts too so they didn't hang there. Maybe the answer is to crop with the bridge just included them lose the part-lamps in post... Food for thought!

Shashin

This should help you get the drift of what I have been doing today. The end of the shadow of the chimnella, which is on a cast iron stand, ends on bare ground. Drifting was quite intense. In some whys it leveled my garden--filled up the 5' depressions very well. Harder to walk on in others.

Last edited:

D&A

Thanks Dave! Earlier in the evening, I had been down by the waterfront, which allows a better composition on the city and bridge, but also means you are totally exposed to the rain/wind, making it impossible to keep the front of the lens clear for the shot. These were taken from my flat's balcony, which at least offered some shelter (i.e. I only had to dry the lens front once every 5 shots instead of after every 1!).

As for the crop, I too had been pondering that. The problem with cropping just over the street light is it cuts off the bottom of the bridge - which felt unbalanced. Once you get the bridge wholly in, then you get the street light tops - then I felt I had to include the lamp posts too so they didn't hang there. Maybe the answer is to crop with the bridge just included them lose the part-lamps in post... Food for thought!
Ed, I ran into the same issue when I contemplated a crop of your image. Either the lamposts had to remain intact or totally gone (but then bottom of bridge cut off as you describe). Guess in my mind, leaving only the tops fo the streetlamps looks kind of funny.

Final alternative is to scap the whole thing and wait in that location till they repeat the show...LOL!

Wow, you were in the States? Don't tell me near my neck of the woods? We could have cornered the market on east coast 645D's which would have included Shashin's and I'm sure a few others. Maybe the largest concentration these Pentax's in the Western Hemisphere at one time...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Ed Hurst

Dave, I wasn't anywhere near the delightfully snowy east coast. Business trip to Nebraska - nothing to do with photography... And, no, the 645D didn't make the trip with me sadly.

However, if I am ever in your neck of the woods (or if you are ever in mine), we'll have to get together and compare notes. And Shashin of course should come along too ;-)

D&A

Dave, I wasn't anywhere near the delightfully snowy east coast. Business trip to Nebraska - nothing to do with photography... And, no, the 645D didn't make the trip with me sadly.

However, if I am ever in your neck of the woods (or if you are ever in mine), we'll have to get together and compare notes. And Shashin of course should come along too ;-)
Sounds like a wonderful plan to me! Thanks.

Dave (D&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.