The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

D&A

For some reason, I really like this image.

D1_IMG713mod by tsjanik47, on Flickr
For myself, it's both all the geometric shapes in the image as well as the contrast between the dark soil and dark base/bark of the tree, vs. the light upper birch (?) bark and the colorful leaves. I also like the even pattern of the colorful fallen leaves on the very dark soil. A lot going on in what first appears to be a simple image. Even the three small rectangle metal plates in the background wall adds to the geometry of the scene. Add it all together and it makes for an interesting picture.

Dave (DA&A)

Nathan W. Lediard

Yosemite Valley, CA
Hasselblad H4D-40; HCD 35-90mm at 70mm

So sad, MFDB is dead!
Not being a "landsacape photographer" you can take my views with a pinch of salt, and please dont be offended, but alot of the landscapes you post I just dont "get" :) but this one I REALLY like! :)

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
As someone who lived there, what is particularly appealing about this image is not just the clouds (which are stunning) but the light on the West Face of Sentinel. I can smell the heat of the day coming off the forest below, and feel the rock. It is magical.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
As someone who lived there, what is particularly appealing about this image is not just the clouds (which are stunning) but the light on the West Face of Sentinel. I can smell the heat of the day coming off the forest below, and feel the rock. It is magical.
Thanks very much Vincent! Pramote

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
My favorite of yours so far... the clouds make this shot for me...
Not being a "landsacape photographer" you can take my views with a pinch of salt, and please dont be offended, but alot of the landscapes you post I just dont "get" :) but this one I REALLY like! :)
Lately GetDPI has not been as pleasant as it used to be.
I may just quit!

Last edited:

tsjanik

For myself, it's both all the geometric shapes in the image as well as the contrast between the dark soil and dark base/bark of the tree, vs. the light upper birch (?) bark and the colorful leaves. I also like the even pattern of the colorful fallen leaves on the very dark soil. A lot going on in what first appears to be a simple image. Even the three small rectangle metal plates in the background wall adds to the geometry of the scene. Add it all together and it makes for an interesting picture.

Dave (DA&A)
Thanks Dave. The geometric aspect is what drew me to the scene and the leaves are a very enhancing addition. It reminds me that whatever order we (humans) create, nature will impose some chaos.

Tom

James Clark

Haven't shot with my MF outside of the studio much recently, but I did haul the kit out for a recent trip to places west... Here are a couple from San Francisco.

Nathan W. Lediard

Lately GetDPI has not been as pleasant as it used to be.
I may just quit!
I was actually giving you a compliment, :) I am a portrait/commercial photographer, I am lucky to live in a quite stunning part of the world and so I do dabble in lansdscapes from time to time,(some of my clients purchase them for advertising or wallhangers) and as I quite plainly said, I meant no offence and you should take my comments with a pinch of salt, which means not to take them too seriously. But sorry, I dont always get, or understand some of the landscapes posted here, yours included, does this mean I am not being nice? I was not giving criticism, maybe its ME that does not UNDERSTAND? did ya think about that? This is a FUN thread, I said I REALLY LIKED that image! if that is not being NICE then I dont know... no need to go off sulking. :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Please folks, understand that everyone has their own aesthetic judgment.
Don't start me on the subject of lovely young ladies who think it is cool to get all inked up, OTOH, there is a large group who likes exactly that.
That is one case that "I don't get", but folks are free to like what they like.
-bob

BTW Pramote, I LOVE your images and indeed I for one get them.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Please folks, understand that everyone has their own aesthetic judgment.
Don't start me on the subject of lovely young ladies who think it is cool to get all inked up, OTOH, there is a large group who likes exactly that.
That is one case that "I don't get", but folks are free to like what they like.
-bob

BTW Pramote, I LOVE your images and indeed I for one get them.
Thanks very much Bob for your kind words!
GetDPI has always been my most favorite photography forum. I've learned a lot especially in "Medium Format". There are a lot of people who are extremely knowledgeable and know exactly what they are talking about here. I've always get the answers I am looking for at GetDPI.
Politeness and friendliness are also ones of the strength in this forum. It likes a tradition. I hope we keep it this way.
Pramote

tsjanik

I get your images too Pramote and very much appreciate your posts. I do have the impression that Nathan sincerely meant that he liked your image and that it is unusal for a non-landscape photographer - he just expressed it in an awkward way. This is a nice forum with friendly, helpful posters and I think it will stay that way (as long as there isn't another "MFDB is dead" thread). :poke:
Tom

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I get your images too Pramote and very much appreciate your posts. I do have the impression that Nathan sincerely meant that he liked your image and that it is unusal for a non-landscape photographer - he just expressed it in an awkward way. This is a nice forum with friendly, helpful posters and I think it will stay that way (as long as there isn't another "MFDB is dead" thread). :poke:
Tom
Thanks very much Tom!
I really appreciate your posts too. Your photos are always top-notched.
Pramote

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I was actually giving you a compliment, :) I am a portrait/commercial photographer, I am lucky to live in a quite stunning part of the world and so I do dabble in lansdscapes from time to time,(some of my clients purchase them for advertising or wallhangers) and as I quite plainly said, I meant no offence and you should take my comments with a pinch of salt, which means not to take them too seriously. But sorry, I dont always get, or understand some of the landscapes posted here, yours included, does this mean I am not being nice? I was not giving criticism, maybe its ME that does not UNDERSTAND? did ya think about that? This is a FUN thread, I said I REALLY LIKED that image! if that is not being NICE then I dont know... no need to go off sulking. :)
OK. It is just misunderstanding.
Maybe I still just hang over with the "Who needs more than 40 mp.." thread. :)
Are we fine now? :)
Can I continue to post my landscape photographs? :)
Thank you for your complement!
Pramote

Status
Not open for further replies.