The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

stngoldberg

Newport RI

This is an image of the interior of Touro synagogue, the oldest synagogue in the US and the oldest in North America.
The building is named from Issac de Touro who came to Newport in 1758. The building was designed by Peter Harrison who was Americas first architect.
My image depicts a few of the 12 Ionic and Corinthian columns and some of the original five handsome brass chandeliers

This is one of my first attempts at photographing so many columns that must line up straight. I was surprised at how much photoshop work was necessary with horizontal and vertical transforming.
I have been working tethered to a computer vis Phocus and trying to change angles and lenses to minimize distortion, but even in the best case photoshop's transform areas were needed to save the photograph
Could not use my Arca Swiss because I have not be able to figure out how to wirelessly sync my three Quantum flashes with my Hasselblad back
Stanley
H4D50 with 28mm lens

Last edited:

Shashin

Quote from Wikipedia:
Peter Harrison is credited with being the first professionally trained architect in America
Stanley
From Wikipedia:

Between AD 900 and 1150, Chaco Canyon was a major center of culture for the Ancient Pueblo Peoples. Chacoans quarried sandstone blocks and hauled timber from great distances, assembling fifteen major complexes which remained the largest buildings in North America until the 19th century.
;)

stngoldberg

From Wikipedia:

;)
Fortunately I have more important things to do than debate the history of architecture with you; but for the record when I post some information on this site, I attempt to carefully research what I post. Quite frankly, I resent it when you challenge my statements with inaccurate comments.
Stanley

Shashin

What is inaccurate? The native people of this continent did not produce significant architecture? Quite frankly, I resent that you seem to think that anything you post should be above comment or discussion. Forums are exactly that, places where ideas and views can be exchanged. If comments from members are going to be too disturbing for you, I suggest another way of publishing your work.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Fortunately I have more important things to do than debate the history of architecture with you; but for the record when I post some information on this site, I attempt to carefully research what I post. Quite frankly, I resent it when you challenge my statements with inaccurate comments.
Stanley
Until now, I have enjoyed your photographs, but this arrogance and lack of respect for the history of those who lived and worked in America long before the Europeans arrived is really depressing. Makes me wonder which planet you came from :confused:

stngoldberg

In this case your attempt failed miserably.

- Leigh

Peter Harrison was America's "first architect." He worked in both the Boston area and Newport, Rhodes Island, which at the time was the fifth largest city in the colonies. He was a self-taught architect who was inspired by the architects in England who were building grand Baroque buildings. He got his ideas from their written works, the pattern books, especially those of James Gibbs. He was a Tory and returned to England after the Revolution.
above is from a website called Architecture for kids

Peter Harrison was America's "first architect." He worked in both the Boston area and Newport, Rhodes Island, which at the time was the fifth largest city in the colonies. He was a self-taught architect who was inspired by the architects in England who were building grand Baroque buildings. He got his ideas from their written works, the pattern books, especially those of James Gibbs. He was a Tory and returned to England after the Revolution.

from wikipedia

A book titled Peter Harrison:first American Architect was written by Carl Bridenbaugh, a member of the Early American History and Culture Insitute

Nothing wrong with my research and I am probably the least arrogant person around-I posted on this site to share and joined the site to learn; however you guys are a tough group and I don't feel comfortable here any longer
Stanley

Ed Hurst

Clearly this is both a sensitive issue and an area in which there are semantics/definitions at play in terms of what an architect is. It is also the case that it's hard to discuss this simply on a factual level when there are so many quite justified emotions and values at stake.

I think we just need to respect that there are heartfelt and differing views on the terms being used while utterly respecting/admiring both indigenous American achievements and the photography here. Would be a shame not to see our pictures here due to these differences of perspective. If people are being tough in what they say, Stanley, it's because they care profoundly about points of principle - but that need not imply that there has been any negative intention on either side.

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

I might also add that, given the history of terrible injustice (indeed murderous genocide), to exclude indigenous people from any category or area of achievement is understandably seen badly, even if the intention is not negative and a specific use of terminology arguable...

Last edited:

stngoldberg

I might also add that, given the history of terrible injustice (indeed murderous genocide), to exclude indigenous people from any category or area of achievement is understandably seen badly, even if the intention is not negative and a specific use of terminology arguable...
Ed for Pete's sake-I posted an image of a colonial building built in the 1700 and designed by an architect who designed some important edifices in RI.
When I researched his name three sources referred to him as America's first professionally trained architect and I reported that. How that makes me a bad person excluding any group including indigenous people is not arguable-it is far fetched and beyond my understanding of reason.
In addition a member of this forum attacked me with this sentence "but this arrogance and lack of respect for the history of those who lived and worked in America long before the Europeans arrived is really depressing. Makes me wonder which planet you came from"
I have difficulty connecting the dots-I was referring to the guy that designed the building that I photographed and the literature written about him
Stanley

Ed Hurst

Hi Stanley,

I can say little more than what I have already said because all I am saying is that both your intention and those of people who have a problem with the continued statement that there were no pre-European American architects are no doubt sincerely held. I am urging you and others to accept that this is a debate around how the term 'architect' is used and perhaps to understand why others may feel strongly about the matter (and especially your continued position that the other view appears not to be valid), even if your intentions are perfectly reasonable.
In short, I am suggesting that we all agree to differ while respecting the validity of the other view.

Status
Not open for further replies.