The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Hurst

Your initial statement did say "first architect" rather than "professionally trained architect" and that has not, I think, been explicitly stated to have been erroneous in any of your subsequent messages. Further, I think one might reasonably say that much earlier indigenous architects were professionally trained, just according to different cultural principles and conventions. Finally, if this is a debatable area, perhaps the benefit of any such doubt should fall in favour of those groups who have suffered most. Please understand that I am not calling into question your motives here; merely indicating what the other view might be and that it could be worth explicitly and generously acknowledging it.

tsjanik

I just read this recent thread. I doubt Stanley meant any slight to anyone with his post. He is simply enthused with where he lives and adds interesting background information. I suspect he could have been persuaded to modify his post to something along the lines of: “the first English-trained professional architect.”; in the interest of accuracy if not sensitivity. In any event, the opportunity for gentle enlightenment was lost.

Tom

stngoldberg

I might also add that, given the history of terrible injustice (indeed murderous genocide), to exclude indigenous people from any category or area of achievement is understandably seen badly, even if the intention is not negative and a specific use of terminology arguable...
I just read this recent thread. I doubt Stanley meant any slight to anyone with his post. He is simply enthused with where he lives and adds interesting background information. I suspect he could have been persuaded to modify his post to something along the lines of: “the first English-trained professional architect.”; in the interest of accuracy if not sensitivity. In any event, the opportunity for gentle enlightenment was lost.

Tom

I actually think that I may have lost my mind. How did I get into this discussion? My only motive in being here was to improve my photographic skills-I wanted to see what others are doing-I wanted to understand how Dan Lindberg can be so brilliant-his post today of the Goteborgsopersan just blows me away-he is on another planet and I say that because I am in awe of his creativity.
I won't be posting here any longer but I wish to thank those of you that wrote some kind remarks concerning some of my images
Stanley

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
First shot with my new Rm3di and first shot from my trip to the Palouse area. Rodie 70mm, this is a 7 shot pano stitch. No clue what my f/stop was (argh ... have to figure out a system for this). Guessing I was at f/16. 1/15th, ISO 35

Grayhand

Some more erosion in bedrock with water.
Söderåsen nature reserve.

The interesting thing is that all my photos on this page of the "tread" where taken at ISO 800 by mistake.
I was really surprised that the level of noise in the pictures was so low.
But I suspect the result would be quite different in low light..

AFDlll, Hartblei 45mm, P45+

Ray

Grayhand

One more from my "ISO 800" series, Söderåsen nature reserve.

But in this photo it was the effect of the polarizer I used that surprised me.
In the beech forest at Söderåsen, almost everything is more or less green on a sunny day because of the light being filtered through the foliage.
So I decided to use the polarizer to reduce the green reflections in the water.
It did reduce some of the green reflections in the water, but it really increased the intensity of the "vertical greenery" in the center.

I waited for a long time for the wind to settle down, but it newer really went still.

It's always interesting to wander in a beech forests..

Ray

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
One more from my "ISO 800" series, Söderåsen nature reserve.

But in this photo it was the effect of the polarizer I used that surprised me.
In the beech forest at Söderåsen, almost everything is more or less green on a sunny day because of the light being filtered through the foliage.
So I decided to use the polarizer to reduce the green reflections in the water.
It did reduce some of the green reflections in the water, but it really increased the intensity of the "vertical greenery" in the center.

I waited for a long time for the wind to settle down, but it newer really went still.

It's always interesting to wander in a beech forests..

Ray

This is truly remarkable! Great work Ray!
Pramote

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Another one from Palouse, Rm3di with Rodie 40mm, f - something (prob 16), 1/4 second, ISO 35. used some shift (10) to keep the camera level, and this is a 4 shot vertical stitch, overlapping 75% each time to help with the stitch using a wider lens like this.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Just having a bit of practise fun today with the new setup, trying to get the right feel for some more complex movements. The aim in this one, which I will shoot again in nicer light now that I have been able to experiment, was to get the entire ground level facade in focus from near to far and to get the red life saver far right also in focus. Ended up at F8 with around 1.5 degree of swing left and about a five fall for framing, with a bespoke LCC. Rather a boring shot after all that but practise might one day make perfect, technically at least! This is not my special subject so I do need to work on it.
IQ180/Rodie 40 HR/Alpa STC

50% size image here - it really is in quite good focus where I wanted...

WildRover

Thought I might have missed the ship when everyone was uploading their Lighthouse photos. Here's one a few miles from where I live in Door County, Wisconsin. Not my usual subject, but I had fun working it up for presentation. This is the Lake Michigan lighthouse at the entrance to the shipping canal (shortcut) into Sturgeon Bay. Pentax 645D, Pentax-FA645 45-85mm at 45mm.

Last edited:

tsjanik

Thought I might have missed the ship when everyone was uploading their Lighthouse photos. Here's one a few miles from where I live in Door County, Wisconsin. Not my usual subject, but I had fun working it up for presentation. This is the Lake Michigan lighthouse at the entrance to the shipping canal (shortcut) into Sturgeon Bay. Pentax 645D, Pentax-FA645 45-85mm at 45mm.
Very calm, but I can imagine the storms that lighthouse has endured; the elevated walkway is a hint.

Status
Not open for further replies.