The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Very nice image Don. Been thinking about a Wide DS, the 24 and 35 myself :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Please stop spending my money. I saw the Cambo in Florida and got a little to excited about it. That is very dangerous

mark1958

i am saving my pennies for that HTS 1.5, the HC TSE adapter... release scheduled for Jan.

Don Libby

I'm continuing my testing of the new Cambo RS 1000 going out this morning to an area less than an hours drive from my home in Tucson. This entire experience is exciting to me as up till yesterday I had never held or used a technical camera. My greatest concerns going into this was to master an entirely new capture workflow and the critical focus that I demand of my images; what I found that I've had little to no problems other than to remember to remove the lens cap (twice).

I was originally going to test a Cambo WDS however an actual paying customer came along and rented it leaving me with two choices; wait till an another time or use a brand new right out of the box RS 1000 - yeah it didn't take me long to decide. I'm glad the glitch in rentals happened as the RS 1000 is made specifically for digital and among other improvements Cambo placed all the movements on the back leaving the lens static. I'm not going into any depth review of this marvelous system seeing as how is has been completely covered earlier by Jeff.

Here's my impressions from using a TC for the first time and specifically the RS 1000. To sum it up I like it. I've used the 24 and 47mm lens that were supplied and find that for me the 24 is too wide and the 47 is nice. Please don't get me wrong both lens are great it just a matter of personal preference. When I place my order (are you reading this Chris?) I plan on ordering the system with a 35mm and eventually getting a 55mm.

I would not have the great opportunity to test this kit were it not for the great folks at Capture Integration and Chris and Dave.

So, here's a test image consisting of 2 images stitched into a panorama. Cambo RS1000 P45+ 47mm lens shot f/8 at 1/250. First image was shifted 10mm left and the second shifted 10mm right with the back centered and no rise.

So far I've found that working with this system is not as difficult as I made it out to be - I just have to remember the darn lens cap!

Don,
BTW, aside from corner sharpness do you have any other thoughts about the difference in the Mamiya 28 and the 24.

David - Thank you for the very kind words. The Mamiya 28mm and P45 is certainly usable even with the slight fall offs in the corners as I almost never use the entire image, rather seeing the image within the image. The 24mm on the Cambo is too wide for me however that's based on very limited testing so the jury is out till I use it next week at the North Rim; I am leaning towards the 35mm mainly as I won't be chained to a center filter and I'll be able to use shifts. Let me find the images from yesterday and I'll post a comparison of the two lens.

Please stop spending my money. I saw the Cambo in Florida and got a little to excited about it. That is very dangerous
Guy - Too funny! Tell ya what I'll buy lunch when we finally meet in person.

One last thought is that I've found I don't need the viewfinder (at least so far) while composing the image that I want. So far it's been scary easy!

Jack or Guy - let me know if you'd perfer a new thread re the RS.....

don

Don Libby

One more from this morning this time I used 2 shots 1st centered the 2nd with a 20mm rise with the 47mm lens. f/8 1/125.

don

Stuart Richardson

Hello all. I just got to Iceland, but I have not had a chance to take too many images yet. It was sunny and Fall-like when I got here, but just two days ago we got the first snow! Winter comes quickly around here...and then it goes away and gives you more rain, then it comes back, then it goes away again...repeat until May.

Anyway, not too many images yet.
This a big iron smelter with Icelandic horses in the foreground.

This is a color version, just up the fjord from the last one.

And here is one from a town right across the bay from Reykjavik:

Nothing I am particularly proud of yet, but they are serviceable, so I figured I would post them. They were with the Hy6, emotion 54LV and the 80mm and 180mm lenses.

PeterA

Stuart - I like the last one ...and my eye is asking for more width on the right ( water?) of the frame as we view it.

gogopix

Subscriber

Stuart - I like the last one ...and my eye is asking for more width on the right ( water?) of the frame as we view it.
I too really like the last one-but it actually has a special charater just as is.

The church looks 'almost human' as if it is sitting there, defying the cold, the roof like folded arms under a cloak. A stong geometric contrast to the mountains on the left. Event the line of poles, mimicing the cross on the steeple, add to the structure defying the elements.

The B&W vs subtle color also contribute

Fine capture!

Regards
Victor

T

thsinar

very nice, Stuart: I like all 3.

Thierry

T

thsinar

I like this one, Don, nice shot!

Thierry

One more from this morning this time I used 2 shots 1st centered the 2nd with a 20mm rise with the 47mm lens. f/8 1/125.
don

Stuart Richardson

Thank you all. Peter -- you are right about the right side there...I should have tried some more in that direction. If I remember correctly, I wanted some of the mountains in the frame, and I was too lazy to root around for the 40mm lens so I could have both!

As for the church, that little thing sticking out on the steeple is a sign that says "1857" -- so it has been sitting there in the cold for a very long time...at least very long for Iceland.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

don
Don, IMHO you really should use the CF or do the white frame correction -- those shifts are showing a pretty significant magenta center/cyan edges to my eyes...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Stuart, I really like the first one!

Guy Mancuso

Don do you have one of these from CI. If not have Chris send one out to you. They work great

gogopix

Subscriber

looks transluscent
is this for WB in front of the lens?
or like the Whibal, reflective?

It would be great to be able to shoot a reference for light BEFORE a series

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Victor you need one of these . Take a shot with this on the lens than use as the reference to calibrate , works great.

EH21

Stuart,
I like the middle one in color - I find your rendering very film like, and I mean that as a compliment. Looks real, looks great!
Eric

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Eric, but the compliments go to Thierry and the people at Sinar. That is basically the back as it outputs -- ISO 50, white balance set for daylight, and then a little bit of a curve to enhance the contrast (completely necessary, as the dynamic range of the backs is just huge...to get a more slide film like rendering requires quite a bit of black clipping). My experience is that in a photo, the eye does not know what to do with a huge dynamic range...it just looks dull. Even though we can see it in real life, I think the difference in our scanning vision versus the static display of a photo necessitates a photo that is much contrastier than the scene actually is in reality. Oddly, this unnatural contrast looks more natural to the eye.

fotografz

After selling the entire Canon 1DsMKIII kit I'm now taking the H3D-II/31 to every wedding. It's fast enough and shoots excellent ISOs up to 800 ... although I use 200/400 most frequently. You just get addicted to the richer files and it spoils you. Since I provide every wedding client with 3 or 4 17"X22" display prints, it makes for a real show stopper of a presentation.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

After selling the entire Canon 1DsMKIII kit I'm now taking the H3D-II/31 to every wedding.
Have to say I understand, and I am now without a DSLR myself. I find it pretty tough to go back to any brand of AA filtered DSLR file after working with the non-AA files. For me, the need for uber-fast focus and framerates, or ultra-high ISOs represents maybe 5% of my shooting, so the argument for a DSLR diminishes. And so far I have made do pressing either the M8 or MF rig into service. Neither is optimal, but when they connect the files have been worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.