The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

pesto

Nathan "I dont do landscapes" Lediard strikes again :D

Went out and got me a Lee big stopper... been toying with the idea for ages, but finally got hold of one... so here is my first attempt... (as you may know by now, portrait and commercial is my thing so go easy on me hehe)

H4D-40 HCD28 Lee big stopper f16 256 seconds...
Cropped to 16-9 and black and white in lightroom... but the colour is surprisingly neutral :)
That amount of time to expose was like medicine... gave me time to sit and take in the view... enjoy.. feel.. smell... usually this is just a backdrop for a portrait shoot... an enjoyable and I worry, infectious change of pace...

And another. same set-up and exposure..

Great stuff Nathan; I especially like the second one and must say that your thoughts are exactly in keeping with my own.

DAB.

Shashin

Now, why can't you do portraits with the Big Stopper? i think it would be really interesting to see a model standing "still" in the frame, perhaps move her head from side to side. It might be quite captivating, not sharp, by captivating.

Nathan W. Lediard

Now, why can't you do portraits with the Big Stopper? i think it would be really interesting to see a model standing "still" in the frame, perhaps move her head from side to side. It might be quite captivating, not sharp, by captivating.
Funny you should say that.... I do have some plans... with a yoga model.... if anyone can sit still for more than a minute she can...

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Nathan "I dont do landscapes" Lediard strikes again :D

Went out and got me a Lee big stopper... been toying with the idea for ages, but finally got hold of one... so here is my first attempt... (as you may know by now, portrait and commercial is my thing so go easy on me hehe)

H4D-40 HCD28 Lee big stopper f16 256 seconds...
Cropped to 16-9 and black and white in lightroom... but the colour is surprisingly neutral :)
That amount of time to expose was like medicine... gave me time to sit and take in the view... enjoy.. feel.. smell... usually this is just a backdrop for a portrait shoot... an enjoyable and I worry, infectious change of pace...

Fantastic long exposure Nathan! I have no doubt you have "landscape" talent hidden in you :)
Thanks for sharing!
Pramote

Nathan W. Lediard

Thanks Pramote! I am certainly spoilt for choice of scenery in this part of the world, maybe I should take some time to capture it for its own worth and not just as a prop in my outdoor portraits... Also being here on this forum you cant help but be inspired by the landscape work shown here :) And to repeat, it was very medicinal to take these shots... I used about an hour to take the three shots shown... plus a few that didnt work due to the fact that the big stopper doesnt quite make a light tight seal in the slip on holder on the 28mm and I had to break out the gaffer tape... I stopped off on my way home from a hectic wedding shoot... I have photographed countless couples on this ramp... but this was medicine for the soul...

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I completely agree with you Nathan. I've been very interested in Zen since I was a Buddhist monk long time ago.
Long exposure photography suits my personality and interest well. It slows me down and lets me have time to think.
Great works and please keep them coming!
Pramote

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nathan & Pramote,

Your descriptions of long exposure photography match my own feelings too. Quite aside the aesthetic beauty I also find it enjoyable to slow down and enjoy the serene shooting experience. You really have more of a chance to enjoy the scene too vs staring down the barrel of a viewfinder between 1/30s shots.

It's also why I think many of us enjoy shooting tech cams vs dslrs too. I know that I can probably shoot the same image with my Nikons but I just don't want to.

Nathan, your adventures with the Big Stopper remind me of the line, "What would you do if you knew you would be successful?" You've certainly been rewarded with success. I enjoy your posts, and the images that often accompany them. --Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.