The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotografz

Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Have to say I understand, and I am now without a DSLR myself. I find it pretty tough to go back to any brand of AA filtered DSLR file after working with the non-AA files. For me, the need for uber-fast focus and framerates, or ultra-high ISOs represents maybe 5% of my shooting, so the argument for a DSLR diminishes. And so far I have made do pressing either the M8 or MF rig into service. Neither is optimal, but when they connect the files have been worth it.
I still need a DSLR, but not a high meg one anymore. 12 meg FF Nikon with the new zooms does the rest of the wedding work. If I didn't shoot weddings,
I seriously doubt I'd even own a 35mm DSLR ... or if I did, it'd collect dust most of the time ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I am avoiding the 35mm DSLR as much as possible. So far I have been doing really well without and certainly shooting jobs that most folks would not take a MF but as long as i have ISO 800 and can use the Metz 54 effectively than those kinds of jobs seem to be fine. My biggest issue is the weight and long hours holding it but i can deal with that. Obviously the S2 would be better for me on a lot of work. So when that comes out just have to see how that may play out but honestly I am really happy with MF all around, just have to adjust to it sometimes. i have a wedding late this month for a friend. I don't normally do weddings but for friends I can at least do a couple a year. I may borrow or rent a Nikon maybe. LOL

I just like the look of the files. Marc's shot above is a great example of that

David K

Workshop Member

Recent shot of a leadwood (one of the hardest woods on the planet) sculpture by Zimbabwe artist, Mopho Gonde, taken for an upcoming charity event at Call of Africa Gallery, in Fort Lauderdale, Fl. in his honor and for the benefit of disabled veterans. Credit for the lighting concept goes to Guy and Jack from the recent lighting workshop and my friend Andre Rowe at TYE studios for setting up the 7 lights needed for this toaster oven sized piece of art. For the ecologically minded no live trees are cut down for any of this artist's work. BTW, it's a Cape Buffalo, one of the more dangerous animals (to man) in Africa.

Guy Mancuso

BTW folks this is Davids bike that Jack and I lit at the workshop we used 10 lights and ran out of lighting. We could have used at least 5 more. Just never have enough light. Truly one of my favorite things to do in Photography is work with lighting. This shot was my camera but Jacks' P45 plus with a 80mm lens

Guy Mancuso

Recent shot of a leadwood (one of the hardest woods on the planet) sculpture by Zimbabwe artist, Mopho Gonde, taken for an upcoming charity event at Call of Africa Gallery, in Fort Lauderdale, Fl. in his honor and for the benefit of disabled veterans. Credit for the lighting concept goes to Guy and Jack from the recent lighting workshop and my friend Andre Rowe at TYE studios for setting up the 7 lights needed for this toaster oven sized piece of art. For the ecologically minded no live trees are cut down for any of this artist's work. BTW, it's a Cape Buffalo, one of the more dangerous animals (to man) in Africa.
That look resembles my wife after learning of a recent camera purchase.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Luckily I just get the look and that is fine, she is really great about my being a big gear whore. LOL

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Keep trying to get out each day now as we are nearing peak color time for foliage in the upper Midwest (Wisconsin). Here are a couple from the weekend.

Kurt

S

Shelby Lewis

Lovely colors, Kurt

hobbsr

I was just going back over some of my H3D 31 test shots and found this which I liked and thought I would share.

Rodney

C

carbonmetrictree

Four image stitch with a P45+ down in Long Beach by the docks.

PeterA

Andrew - nice one. Can you tell me - is this a square 4 image stitch and then cropped?

Stuart Richardson

Lovely shot Andrew! What is your exposure time like for this? At least several seconds by looking at the smoke...how do you control noise?

Here are a few I took yesterday. All Hy6 and 54LV:

(Yeah, I know, rainbows are gay. Hahaha. I am tolerant, what can I say?

These last two would probably both be black and white if I were doing it seriously. I just wanted to leave one in color so you can get the idea as to what it actually looked like:

J

jmvdigital

Andrew's got that night shot stuff down. Great image!

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Thierry. I have to say I am still loving the Hy6. I like the 54LV as well, though I am still figuring out how best to process the files and get the most out of the back. I wish there were someone around who could give me a real hands on tutorial on what things to look out for, how to set up white shading files, how to deal with black references, what sort of processing can give the back the best results and so on. I know much of the skill is finding these things out for yourself, but I must admit I am having some difficulties getting exactly what I want. I am sure it just takes time, but it would be nice if someone here (in Iceland) could help. I know that is pretty unlikely.

By the way, I am not in any way disappointed! I think it produces outstanding files, I just don't feel like I am making the most of them yet. In actually capturing them, the Hy6 is extraordinary -- it is so intuitive and easy to work with. It is quite amazing.

C

carbonmetrictree

Thanks Thierry, Justin and Peter! The image is comprised of four horizontal shots combined in Photoshop with Photo merge. I was incredibly surprised to see how little noise there were in the images even when I tried to over expose them at 1.5 stops. I would have chosen ISO50, but the bridge I was on had a lot of large trucks passing behind me and I'm almost certain that the images would have been soft at 2.5 minutes.

Sorry about the image, it looks like there's some banding from converting it to SRGB!

Hey Thierry, if you need anyone to test out any of your backs at night, you can definitely give me a call :D

PeterA

Hi Andrew - just some clarification if you dont mind. 4 horisontal shots within the AlPA MAX horisontal shift limits OR 4 horisontal shots meaning - a whole camera shift was included?
I ask because I didn thing that teh 35mm Schneider image circle was large enough for 4 horisontals without moving whole camera body laterally. Unless of course you had very large overlap percentage per shot?

Thanks
Pete

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Andrew -- GREAT shot! I assume you had the camera vertical and did four frames panning horizontally? And just to clarify, what was the exposure/aperture, and which lens?

C

carbonmetrictree

Andrew -- GREAT shot! I assume you had the camera vertical and did four frames panning horizontally? And just to clarify, what was the exposure/aperture, and which lens?
Thanks Jack! Yes, I panned four frames with the 28mm HR (around 30% overlap for each frame). What I've noticed with the panorama merge is that the more shots you take for a panoramic results in a reduction of the "bowing" curve in the foreground.

If I remember, I believe each shot was at f/16, 1m15s @ ISO50. The long exposure capability with the Phase backs was one of the main reasons why I chose this manufacturer.

Hey Pete, I did not do the horizontal shifts on the 12 Max, there wasn't enough coverage to get the 170 degree view of the factories with a horizontal shift. I had to do some free transforming to get some of the distortion from the panoramic merge out of the image, I think it was a fair trade off in a bit of sharpness for a more natural look. I'm hoping that the Rodenstock 23HR will feed my hunger for super wide lenses when it comes out :D

PeterA

Ahhh..I am asking because I am waiting for my Max to arrive and couldnt get my mind around how you got so much X&Y coverage with a simple horisontal movement using the Max's horisontal stops....and a wide angle..so I was thinking you must have done a large crop...:)

I look forward to your opinion re the rodenstock when you get it.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.