The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Tom,

The first one looks like three horizontal panoramas stacked on top of each other. Maybe separate them? The elements are striking.

--Matt

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Tom, I think the second works very well because there is a focal point - the tree upper right. My eye goes to that then delights in wandering round the rest of the frame. The first has nowhere for my eye to stop...

Thanks for your kind comment on my dawn picture,
Bill

Shashin

I agree and perhaps someone can tell me why I don't like these images from the Palouse as much as I think I should. I'm reasonably happy with the 2nd, but the 1st is frustrating. I like the variation in colors and shapes, but something is lacking.

Tom

_IGP8278 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr
I don't know if I have much to say. As Matt said, it looks like a bunch of images stacked on top of each other. I am not one for cropping, by it also looks like the top of the image should end just above the building in the top right--the bases of the turbines are awkward. Perhaps letting more aerial haze in would give it the depth it needs--it looks like you processed it for the middle ground to give it contrast as the foreground looks oversaturated with a very hard black point, it also shifts the image toward yellow. I would process for the foreground letting the background shift to blue. Not really knowing how that would affect the image, it would also be my guess that the mid- to background are going to wash out a bit. I might try some layer masking (if you use Photoshop) to bring the tonality down, but not affect the contrast too much to give it a bit more substance.

You might even try this in B&W.

Anyhow, my 2c...

alajuela

I don't know if I have much to say. As Matt said, it looks like a bunch of images stacked on top of each other. I am not one for cropping, by it also looks like the top of the image should end just above the building in the top right--the bases of the turbines are awkward. Perhaps letting more aerial haze in would give it the depth it needs--it looks like you processed it for the middle ground to give it contrast as the foreground looks oversaturated with a very hard black point, it also shifts the image toward yellow. I would process for the foreground letting the background shift to blue. Not really knowing how that would affect the image, it would also be my guess that the mid- to background are going to wash out a bit. I might try some layer masking (if you use Photoshop) to bring the tonality down, but not affect the contrast too much to give it a bit more substance.

You might even try this in B&W.

Anyhow, my 2c...
Hi

I agree

I think the problem is the horizontal shadow bands slicing the image. So in agreement with Matt's comment it looks like panos that were stacked.

I would "unstack" crop it and then see where the image takes me. Try some of the other comments offered up.

Thanks

Phil

tsjanik

Thank you all, Matt, Bill , Will and Phil. The first image does look like horizontal stitches; I didn't see that. Ironically, it was taken with a 600mm - no stitching, but the intent was to compress and stack the topography. The haze was quite pronounced and likely is part of the cause, along with a lack of something to draw the eye.

Tom

D&A

Tom, although I haven't been to that area personally, many including myself have seen many images of the Palouse and what struck me about your images was the harsh lighting, or it appeared that way. I feel this had more to do with your somewhat dissatisfaction of the two images (ewspecially the 1st, more than anything else. Yes, the 2nd image has a focal point which the 1st image lacks, but the right kind of lighting I suspect would have gone a long way in presenting such a landscape in a interesting and attractive way. This landscape begs for this type of lighting, in my opinion.

Dave (D&A)

tsjanik

Tom, although I haven't been to that area personally, many including myself have seen many images of the Palouse and what struck me about your images was the harsh lighting, or it appeared that way. I feel this had more to do with your somewhat dissatisfaction of the two images (ewspecially the 1st, more than anything else. Yes, the 2nd image has a focal point which the 1st image lacks, but the right kind of lighting I suspect would have gone a long way in presenting such a landscape in a interesting and attractive way. This landscape begs for this type of lighting, in my opinion.

Dave (D&A)
Truth be told Dave, I sought out the hard, directional light of sunset to bring out the textures of the grain and the shapes of the hills. I think the harshness you refer to is more a consequence of my processing as noted by Will. Unfortunately for me, it was very hazy that evening and I was committed to using long lenses, which just exacerbate the lack of contrast. I concentrated on restoring contrast to the scene and went too far.
If that 1st image is to be salvaged, I think a slight crop on top and the lower third will retain the interesting textures.

Grayhand

Well, I still miss my Mamya 6 and 6M cameras. Even if the light meter system in them was a complete :loco:

And I do agree with you regarding getting those small prints together with the developed negatives, it is actually quit nice.
But I must admit that I some times drive my self nuts over trying to replicate the color profile the labs use for the film negatives that I later scan.
So far I have not succeeded ..

Ray

Ray, I share your attachment to rangefinders. I have my Mamiya 7II tucked away in the dry box. Fortunately I have a very wonderful lab not too far from home and when I want to shoot and get lovely C-type prints back (say a day out with the family), I'll pull out the M7II, shoot a couple of rolls and get 5R prints from them. It's wonderful, simple, pleasing photography. The whole family are excited in anticipation of getting our photo's back, and it usually involves a set-lunch at a little italian restaurant around the corner to the lab, no editing, no viewing on ipads.

The only camera I truly regretted selling was my first Mamiya 7. As soon as an opportunity came up, I bought one back a couple of years ago. Even if only a handful of rolls go through it per year, it's still a most rewarding experience and worth having there.

Grayhand

One more from the corrupt films from my local labs :wtf:

Omberg nature reserve in Sweden
Fuji 645W, 60mm, Kodak Ektar 100
A crop, obvious,

Ray

Last edited:

awolf

OK, you can't post a piece like this without sharing exposure, camera, etc.

Great image! :thumbs:

Thank you, Ed. I wasn’t sure if this image was worthy enough for elaboration (I never do :confused:). It was taken with Rm3di, IQ180 and the Rod 70 HR with a 10 stop ND filter. Exposure was around 45 sec. The original raw looks nothing like that. It is one of those shots that reveal themselves only in post processing.

Grayhand

One more from my corrupted films.
But this one is from an almost unaffected part of the film.

Söderåsen nature reserve, Sweden.

Fuji 645W, 60mm, Portra 400.

Ray

tashley

Subscriber Member
IQ260 Achro with IR pass filter on Alpa STC with Rodie 40HR... kinda fun shooting.

Last edited:

tsjanik

Reed Library, an I.M. Pei design at the State University of New York at Fredonia. Not my usual and generally I'm not a fan of concrete, but the I.M. Pei designs are spectacular. Note the miniature Louvre pyramid atop the cylindrical tower.

Reed color copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr.

Status
Not open for further replies.